phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Just upgraded to MySQL 5.1 ... interesting new features!

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm 
Post subject: Just upgraded to MySQL 5.1 ... interesting new features!

Well, I started the upgrade earlier this morning (midnight) and finished at about 2 AM. icon_lol.gif I upgraded my Mac at home from MySQL 5.0.67 to 5.1.30. The longest part was transferring the databases. I used mysqldump to dump all the databases into a file which was 147 MB. I then used the mysql monitor to import this file. All was well.

Anyway, what's new?

Queries with unclosed /* will fail
Well, this is neat, because some SQL injection methods use a /* to kill off the rest of the query. With 5.1, this will yield a syntax error and the query will fail.

Table Partitioning
This is probably the most interesting feature of all. With 5.1, you can now partition a table such that MySQL knows that it is split up, but your application doesn't. You can set how many partitions the table has, and on what key to do the splitting. Now with partitioning, we can split up a table into separate files, or even separate disk drives. more info

Compatibility?

Whereas with the upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 a few months made two of my queries bad, (though this was minor; the solution being to enclose the FROM tables in parentheses) it appears that nothing fails to execute in 5.1. I tested my site, phpBB 3.0.4, and phpBB 2.0.23. Probably, there are some really old queries with imperfect syntax which will fail, but generally, I think anything written with at least MySQL 4 or 4.1 in mind will still work.
Ptirhiik
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Just upgraded to MySQL 5.1 ... interesting new features!

Using it since some days now on my dev environment, and so far so well, no problem encountered yet (except with mySQLi & php 5.2.8, but that's another story).
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group