phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

What is the best server host?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
RMcGirr83
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:24 am 
Post subject: Re: What is the best server host?

FWIW, I use westhost and before that site5. In the beginning site5 was very good, good support, relatively cheap but lately they have really taken a turn for the worst (regular script time outs, "Can not find this page", etc.).

So far with Westhost, very pleased (sort of a pseudo VPS) and the support has been right there....they even assisted with helping me setup a CVS even though that wasn't "required" (SVN scares me).

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 pm 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
there should be nothing in the NBS setup that requires anything special.

what type of problems are you having?

any *nix hosting plan that offers you ftp access will allow you to set whatever file permissions ( chmod ) that you wish on your files.

robert

I am having trouble with the FTP File path and also the installation of subforums plus on GoDaddy.com.

Also I am having trouble with the index page load times with phpbb 2.0.23 there also. With the default installation of phpbb 2 the index page takes almost 4 seconds to load. This should take under a quarter of a second to load so I am a bit disappointed with GoDaddys performance in this area. The FTP permissions from their control panel are very odd and do not allow full functionality. I had to use filezilla to install it and set the proper permissions. Several times I uploaded phpbb2 to GoDaddy only to find out that several files failed to load. Also having time out issues on their FTP with Filezilla and Core FTP and having refresh issues using FireFTP.

After finally getting all the files up and running the installer I find that several functions of the NBS_Multiforums software failed. For instance it wont write to the ad text files from the nbs ACP. I can write to them and have them work if I manually edit the files and re-upload them but I can not write to them in the ads management page in the nbs ACP. Not that I really care about ads but it does seam to indicate that something is broken. I don't know if its Godaddy's fault or not but having all the other issues with GoDaddy I suspect its not being very friendly to the script.. nbs is able to create boards using the GoDaddy hosting but if this is any indication of what is to come with GoDaddy I will be looking for a better host.. icon_eek.gif

I did take a look at the hosts you guys have been talking about and am seriously considering siteground.com or Hostforweb. Site Ground looks like it has a really affordable solution however they didn't pick up when I called their pre purchase support info line.. This is a bad sign...

Hostforweb looks really good too, simply because the server is a Chicago area server rack, and that is really what I am looking for because of previous good performance issues when being located centrally in the USA like that. I will have to do more research on them though as soon as I have a bit more time. I have until the end of February to make my final decision on hosts.. Right now I am still playing with the nbs installation and mods.

Interestingly enough, the very first mod I try to install on the nbs system (Subforums Plus) requires a file to be uploaded to the Contrib folder.. This is one of the folders that nbs requires you to NOT upload in their installation instructions.... So it's taking me longer to do this then originally expected..

Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 am 

As I earlier had problems with my host One.com I have since may registered all errors I experienced myself - Internal Server Errors or Blank page, which both probably is caused by overloading.

The errors can vary very much, but on average I note 0,5 ISE and 0,5 Blank page per day. When it is more than 5 per day for a couple of days and especially at nights I complain to the host. I spend 4-5 hours aday on my site.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 am 

Cowboy:

All I can say about your godaddy troubles is that you are not alone.
They have a terrible, terrible history of these types of issues and then basically non-existent support.

If you are on windows hosting, then you will likely never get it to work.

Now, about other hosts;
I have been doing this since the web first started. I have almost always used the cheapest host I could find. I have never had any problems like you describe with any of them.

The things you describe are the very basics for running and maintaining a website, and any host should be setup to allow you to do those things with ease.

I am surprised at all the problems you are having getting this to work.

It has been a while, but I installed that NBS script on one of my servers with no problems. I will try it again and see what happens.

robert
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group