phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

mass e.mail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: mass e.mail

Yeah!.....use my e.mail adress....
icon_wink.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 am 

Found a new host and thier mass e.mail has no limit....
So it looks like I will be moving to them..........
Still waiting on your e.mail drathbun !!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:08 am 

As I said, I am in the middle of changing hosts and they have told me that they have no limit on thier mass e.mail.
So all my files have been transfered to thier servers and hopefully soon, I will be able to try the mass e.mail..
So its okay drathbun, the new host has done every thing for me.
icon_wink.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:28 am 

You might face the same problem on every host with the standard massemail.
Please report the progress.

With Mega Mail I never had any problems.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 am 

I am using Mega Mail and it seems to work fine. It keeps track of emails sessions and you'll know who you send an email to.

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Notpil22
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 am 

scotty wrote:
As I said, I am in the middle of changing hosts and they have told me that they have no limit on thier mass e.mail.

icon_wink.gif

Hi Scotty - hope the new host works out, and I hope you tell me who it is -
I tried to PM you but they have been eliminated -

I tried e-mail you but the permissions are set so only staff can see the e-mails

Why this board has eliminated PM's is beyond my pea brain, but how could the decision makers feel that we would have no need to contact one another via PM or e-mail - icon_rolleyes.gif
Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 am 

scotty wrote:
So all my files have been transfered to thier servers and hopefully soon, I will be able to try the mass e.mail..
So its okay drathbun, the new host has done every thing for me.
icon_wink.gif

Did not you have One.com as host? I have sent over 1000 newsletters to the members on my site on One.com and it always goes well. It takes though 20-30 minutes for the last member to get his newsletter. However, I don't use the massmail from phpbb, but instead another program.
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:58 am 

Slackervaara wrote:

Did not you have One.com as host? I have sent over 1000 newsletters to the members on my site on One.com and it always goes well. It takes though 20-30 minutes for the last member to get his newsletter. However, I don't use the massmail from phpbb, but instead another program.

Yeah!- that was my host, was only with them for 10 months.
They kept on telling me- my limit was 250 e.mails a day- and I couldn't even send 150-
I contacted live support- and chatted with Tom, he told me the same- then I talked with Dick, he wanted to get into my Admin panel- then I talked with Harry, and he wanted me to contact Tom, and Tom told me 250 e.mails a day- and so on and on !!!!!!!!
They just could not solve this problem, where is my friends phpBB2 boards- set up the excact same, could send over 900 e.mails, with no mods installed.
One.com has really fast servers and pretty cheap- but as I said, thier support sucks- and if they couldn't fix my problem, then its time to pack up and move to a host that can.....
icon_wink.gif

Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 am 

Very strange. In the beginning of my site the first years, I used phpbb mass mail to send out massmail to several hundreds members and it worked very well. Then when I had 800-900 members massmail stopped working, which I then read it could do if the members were too many. Instead I used the newsletter feature in PHP-Nuke to send out massmails and it worked very well.

I have never read about a limit for email sending for One.com and I never seen it on their homepage, although many other hosts has a limit. I have, however, never asked the support for it. For 2-3 years I have been sending newsletter to 1000+, but not so often 2-4 times a year and noone have said anything to me that it is not permitted. The reason I am anxious to keep One.com is the unlimited e-mailing as I experienced it.
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:16 am 

one.com HAS a limit ... this has already been discussed in several phpBB-support-forums, like phpbb-se.com
Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 am 

One.com does not write about a limit of e-mails per day at their home page. I have just checked, but most other web hotels do that. I have never heard anything from them, when I send out 1000+ newsletters.

Edit: Each week I send out 180 newsletters without problems also.
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 am 

Weird eh!
When one customer can send out 1000+ newsletters, and I can not even send 150 ?- and they have told me the limit is 250 per day.
Never mind, I have cancelled my account with them and just waiting on my domain getting transfered from them......
That was another thing- when I joined them, they had to have my domain aswell- so I had to transfer it to them- bad move, as you lose control of it.
Now I have to get Godaddy to transer it back to them, so I can up date the nameservers- more money !
icon_neutral.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:51 pm 

Since changing hosts- I have no problems with mass e.mail now...........
I have no limit on how many I send out.....
icon_wink.gif

Board Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:27 am 

for those searching in future.....

I found some information on another site with the recommended sql commands to run in phpmyadmin or mysql.... I was able to leverage those to help update the phpbb_user_groups table to mass add membership to empty groups.

It took a whole bunch of time to google and find the right combination, since most of my attempts were complaining about the insert trying to add/select/return multiple rows

Code provided in this thread:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/need-to-move-1-190-s-to-a-user-group-vt54664.html

Code:

by drathbun » September 30th 2005, 12:27 pm

Assume you know the group_id of the new group, and that (for this example) the group_id is 42. Assume that your post limit is 1000. Here's the SQL to add all the 1000 post users to group 42.

[code]
insert into phpbb_user_group (group_id, user_id, user_pending)
select 42, user_id, 0
from phpbb_users
where user_posts > 1000
[/code]
<php echo $signature; ?>
drathbun
Experienced User

With a secondary post that was rather helpful to eliminate duplicates that appeared in the table, later in the same thread

Code:

Postby drathbun » October 5th 2005, 8:44 am

Okay, if you ran the script twice then every board member has been added to the same group twice. That information is stored in the phpbb_user_group table. To be honest, there should be an index to prevent this issue, but we can use that technique to fix your problem.

You can restore your backup of your table if that's the route you prefer. Or you can do these commands (via phpMyAdmin or other SQL tool).

First, create a copy of the contents of the phpbb_user_group table with only unique values.
CODE: SELECT ALL
create table phpbb_user_group_temp as select distinct group_id, user_id, user_pending from phpbb_user_group;

You can verify that you got only unique values using the following script... it should not return any rows.
select group_id, user_id, user_pending from phpbb_user_group_temp group by group_id, user_id, user_pending having count(*) > 1

Next, empty your current phpbb_user_group table using the following command:
truncate phpbb_user_group

That command (truncate) empties the table but leaves the indexes and table structure in place. Now, if you want to be absolutely sure that you don't get duplicate values in the future run this command to create a new index (optional step)
create unique index group_user on phpbb_user_group(user_id, group_id)

Finally, take the data you copied into the temp table and insert it back into the real table:
insert into phpbb_user_group (group_id, user_id, user_pending)
select group_id, user_id, user_pending from phpbb_user_group_temp

That last command will restore your data back to the phpbb_user_group table, but only the unique values. Finally, drop the temp table since you don't need it anymore.
drop table phpbb_user_group_temp

These commands are designed to be run directly on the database rather than via php. If you don't have phpMyAdmin or some other way to access the database directly then you'll have to put these commands into a php file and run it.

You can really screw up your database if you don't know what you're doing, so you might want to make backups first.
<php echo $signature; ?>
drathbun
Experienced User

I found this information really useful to help in my situation, since a previous admin had disabled links/access to the usergroup admin page, and essentially the groups we were trying to send the mass emails to, were empty. Since I needed to populate the group, before we send something.....

Hope this helps somebody searching in future....

Mods, if there's issue with the cross-posting/quoting from somewhere else.... or since I technically don't own the queries... I just leveraged them in my case.... Do with the post what you will.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 3 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group