phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Image Server better or local images better?
1 members found this topic helpful

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Oliver2000
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:43 am 
Post subject: Image Server better or local images better?

Hi,

I run a phpbb2 based community on 4 servers splitted in the moment. 1 for db, one adserver and 2 webserver. I wonder if it make sence to host the images on an external machine or if it is better to keep them local on each webserver?

I made this once for another project and it seemed well because the webserver apache has far less work and the image server apache can be configured much lighter and faster for that reason only.

How ever i read on any site that for phpbb was recommended to keep all images local?

cya
Oliver
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: Image Server better or local images better?

I think the main reason you see the suggestion to keep user images local is that many off site images are stored on sites such as Imageshack which can at times serve up these images very slowly. I have even had topics virtually crash where they have been on very high loaded servers - so much so that I have had to edit the post directly in the database and remove the image link to get the topic to open.

Another problem of course is that some of the image hosting sites download to your users machines a lot more than the image. icon_wink.gif

I vote for local images anytime and ask my users to use either the Attachment mod or the Starfoxtj Userupload that is on the server. Some however please themselves. icon_wink.gif

Sometimes offsite images disappear which can be a bit annoying when the topic is discussing what is in the image.

Jim
Oliver2000
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:04 am 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply, i acctually was more talking about the normal template and portal images as about the images the users place. But i agree with you that the external images for users can be a pain in the neck.

My system runs on 4 machines and i decided to host the templates/portal images again local on each single webserver and not on one extra images/server. In old projects this was an advantage but for phpbb seems better to have them together with the normal httpd webserver. It is a question of server memory and apache config to have enough apache clients etc. configured since images can be a big part of it dosent matter how small they are. But my main httpd server have good memory and handle this better. I also gain speed because the old image server i use now as backup webserver as well.

About the external user images....

YES this is a pain, but in my case for example the users have a lot dynamic bbcode (bars) in their signatures which get generated in the moment you open them. (Pregnancy status etc.) and i cant tell the users to upload them local. i think a option for this could be to load them some how automaticly only inside iframes.... so i could rewrite a little bit the bbcode handling and if the image comes from certain webservers i place a iframe around it... if then a image dont comes, or if any server need to long to react the page comes anyway....

hmmmm must think about this more...

PS: Do you like fishing? I acctually live on a brasilian island and love fishing.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 am 

[offtopic so short] Go fishing every Tuesday weather permitting but as we have heavy snow forecast it looks like a no-go this week[/off topic]

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group