phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Popup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:36 pm 
Post subject: Popup

Required a popup that will appear every time the "New topic" button is clicked asking if the user has checked to see if the subject matter has been dealt with before.
Much the same as you have done here Dave with the Yellow band I now see but via a popup.

Jim
Oliver2000
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:04 pm 
Post subject: Re: Popup

would this not be a pain in the neck of your users? I dont think this would make much sence. The users would ignore it after the first 2-3 times anyway and the more pro users would be anoyed.

The yellow banner version from this board is less ofensive and the more elegant solution isnt it?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:10 pm 

Oliver2000 wrote:
would this not be a pain in the neck of your users? I dont think this would make much sence. The users would ignore it after the first 2-3 times anyway and the more pro users would be anoyed.

The yellow banner version from this board is less ofensive and the more elegant solution isnt it?

Maybe you are correct.
Anything that stops my sons site getting dozens of topics all with the same theme would be useful.

Jim
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:27 pm 

The yellow "search nag" does not appear after a certain amount of posts as well. I figure once you've hit some level of activity on the board you should know better. icon_razz.gif

The search nag is also not affected by popup blockers nor does it require javascript.

To be honest, it also doesn't work very well...

Jim, do you have a "merge topics" MOD? That would help you combine similar topics into one.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:43 pm 

I have the merge mod but unsure whether my son has it on his site or not.
I have already suggested to them that they merge topics into an archive topic and remove all the pointless posts within the merged version.
I will take a look later to see if he has installed the merge mod.

Jim
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 am 

Jim_UK wrote:
I have the merge mod but unsure whether my son has it on his site or not.
I have already suggested to them that they merge topics into an archive topic and remove all the pointless posts within the merged version.
I will take a look later to see if he has installed the merge mod.

Jim

since his board is getting so popular, it may be time for some/more moderators with stricter policies for them to follow.

robert
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 am 

Agreed Robert - I have put to them various options on what to do now re merging the more or less identical topics, removing the pointless posts and then archiving the result. I have then of course pointed out the need to monitor very closely the new topics started and if necessary to remove them with a polite pointer to the archived file.

They do have a tutorials section but I guess that requires someone to spend a lot of time looking at these duplicate (not quite identical by methods, processes etc) and to extract from them enough to create a new tutorial. They also have a separate site which acts as a database for the "mother" site containing a compilation of useful articles. Once again it requires someone with the free time to create such an article from the best of the topics.

All this has been put to them and now guess it is up to them how they deal with it but deal with it they must as the problem can only grow larger.

Thanks for the input guys.

Jim

Edit
When I checked he has installed the "Merge" mod.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 am 

Here you go, Jim icon_arrow.gif Subject Check

Alerts posters when they try to create a topic that has a subject similar to an existing topic

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
Here you go, Jim icon_arrow.gif Subject Check

Alerts posters when they try to create a topic that has a subject similar to an existing topic

Many thanks - I will inform him that I have the hack. Might actually install it on mine as well.

Ta
Jim
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 pm 

There is also an AJAX-mod by CBACK, featuring several nice to have addons.
http://www.cback.de/cback_software/phpbb2mods.php
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:43 pm 

A good idea would be a mod that post a search for the topic as soon as you move your mouse out of the subject line to the post body that lists similar topic and says "It appears you are about to post a topic that has already been discussed. Are you sure the information your looking for is not already posted?" In a java alert. Then click yes to continue or no to try the search suggestions. icon_biggrin.gif

I would use that one myself. icon_wink.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:28 am 

I am having "maybe" second thoughts about the mod in my previous post.
One of the greatest load generating things is the search function. If after that mod is installed I have a search every time the users want to start a new topic might that not be somewhat excessive.

Thoughts?

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:26 am 

Well, I don't think your users will try to create new topics very often, the post function is the popular one. icon_wink.gif If you have some statistics MOD, you can see subjects per day and there will be your answear. icon_smile.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am 

My son has a Statistics mod installed (way over the top in my opinion with the stats it produces) so I can check there first before he goes ahead with the mod.

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:07 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
I am having "maybe" second thoughts about the mod in my previous post.
One of the greatest load generating things is the search function. If after that mod is installed I have a search every time the users want to start a new topic might that not be somewhat excessive.

Thoughts?

Jim

Shouldn't they be doing the search anyway before creating a new topic? This should only work when creating a new topic not when replying to a topic.

It does have the potential of creating a bit more load if members ignore it completely then it just becomes an added load but if they begin to use it like it is intended then it should only be directing them to so the things that you and I would do as a normal function before posting a new topic, right?

Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group