phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Duplicate Board issue

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Odie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:46 pm 
Post subject: Duplicate Board issue

http://www.clansteinhammer.com/forums/
http://www.clan-steinhammer.com/forums/

Powered by phpBB 2.0.23 2001

Hi, please forgive me for any noobness...I just got appointed as Admin of a board and have never done anything like this before.

Just a little brief history that might help shed some light on what's going on...the original Admin left the site in a rush and demanded that everything be taken out of her name and transferred to a new host - she didn't want her personal information listed under billing anymore. So the domain guy went ahead and got the site hosted with another company and put it under his name. Thing is, since that happened, we now have mirror sites. (It also disabled our Cute News on our portal, but that's another issue for another time I'm thinking).

From what I can see, the files are located in the non-hyphenated one, which is the one we would like to use. But we're wary about disabling the other one since we're unsure what caused this to begin with.

We've noticed that what we post on one forum automatically mirrors over onto the other one. But it's confusing to have this set up this way. I want to update to v3 but I also need to get the mirror issued resolved and I have no idea where to start.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:29 pm 
Post subject: Re: Duplicate Board issue

Hi,

The problem is probably in your config.php file, but I'm not familiar enough with exactly what needs to be done to it when a board is moved, to be able to advise you, without consulting with the knowledgebase at phpBB.com, and that site is apparently still down.

IOW, did the "domain guy", make the correct changes to the config.php file, when he moved the site to a new server?
Odie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:22 pm 

Thanks so much for responding. No, I don't believe he did. He doesn't have any knowledge in this at all and is hoping I can fix it. It's weird...I can see the files in the non-hyphenated one in FTP. I'm just afraid to touch the other one because of what it might do to the board we want to keep. They definitely seem linked. Even when we log in, we have to enter our login info twice, and then we can see the forum.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:52 pm 

Go to the database with phpmyadmin and go to the table phpbb_config.
Find the field "server_name" as that will still show the old domain causing your site to connect to the old location and use it's database.
You might also find the field for the cookie domain and change that.

Problem should be solved.

Jim
Odie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:45 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
Go to the database with phpmyadmin and go to the table phpbb_config.
Find the field "server_name" as that will still show the old domain causing your site to connect to the old location and use it's database.
You might also find the field for the cookie domain and change that.

Problem should be solved.

Jim

Jim, thank you!

PLEASE forgive me - I'm on such a basic level with this that I just need claification on a few things...I'm embarrased that I'm this clueless with it but I guess I gotta learn somewhere...

OK, so the database phpmyadmin - I access that via FTP right? I'm looking for it and don't see it, that's why I'm asking.

Once I find the field that says server_name, what do I do? Do I delete it, or enter in the correct info?

Where would I find the cookie field for the domain name?

Gosh - I'm so sorry about all the questions. icon_redface.gif I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) patience.

~ Christine
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:06 pm 

Hi Christine
No phpmyadmin is not accessed via ftp.
It is a usually host provided tool accessed via your hosting control panel (Cpanel).
With it you can create databases and edit the info that is contained within them.
You need to go to you hosting control panel and find a reference to Mysql databases or phpmyadmin itself.
Once you have started phpmyadmin look in the left hand column and you will see your database name. Click it and whole list of tables will appear in that left hand column.
Click the one that says phpbb_config and then over on the right click the button at the top that says "Browse"
Now at the bottom you can move through the pages of display. I think the field "server_name" is on the 3rd page but may be on another on yours.
When you find the row that says "Server_name" click the small picture of a pencil.
Now edit the info so that it contains your new Domain name.
Now click "Go" at the bottom of your page.
The cookie domain can also be accessed via that method but best still is to ftp the install folder that I have attached to the root of your board and then run the file within it with your browser.
like http://yourdomain/forum_folder_name/install/cookie.php replacing those bits in the url with your actual domain name and folder name.

Jim

cookie.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cookie.zip
 Filesize:  5.35 KB
 Downloaded:  537 Time(s)

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:25 am 

just fyi, that little cookie MOD file will also change the server_name field for you.

If you use it, you will not need to worry about the phpmyadmin thing at all.

robert
Odie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 am 

Awesome, thanks guys! icon_smile.gif I appreciate all the help.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group