phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Block Open Proxy Registrants MOD

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 am 
Post subject: Block Open Proxy Registrants MOD

Is anyone else using this MOD, by TerraFrost? I had forgotten that I even had it installed, but I noticed it today, and checked the log, and it's been blocking approximately 15 IP addresses every day, since I installed it, a couple of years ago. Checking the banned addresses, most of them appear to be from countries with a high rate of spambot generation, but I notice that somewhere between about 15 and 20 % of them are from the U. S. or Canada. I can't help but wonder if these might be legitimate prospective registrants that I'm blocking.

Before I installed the RAC MOD, I still had quite a few spambot registrations, but I don't recall that any of them were from the U. S. or Canada. Does anyone have any insight on this? Currently, I get zero spambot registrations, but I'm wondering if this MOD is possibly preventing legitimate users from registering, and I wonder if it's still needed, with the RAC MOD in place? Any thoughts?
Ptirhiik
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 am 
Post subject: Re: Block Open Proxy Registrants MOD

There are some legit visitors using open proxys, most of the time to get access to a site restricted by country according to my experience, sometimes also simply to cloak the original ip as security measure.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:09 pm 

If I remember, there was quite a long discussion in the MOD topic at phpbb.com about the pros and cons of using this MOD. In many cases an open proxy is a tool being used by a spammer. But there are legitimate uses for open proxies as well. By opting to block open proxies you are removing a popular avenue used by spammers, but you are potentially blocking potential contributing members as well.

It's like any other defense mechanism... as soon as you make it easy to register using one particular path, spammers will start using that path.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:47 pm 

Yes, it is not good to block proxyes. Cracker Tracker does it and it blocks even people for little networks. I definetly do not recomand it, it doesn't worth it. icon_wink.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:48 pm 

Like most decisions, you have to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages, and take the action which has more advantages. In some cases, you can also compromise.

For example, if I were to install this MOD and block people using an HTTP proxy, I would add my email address to the message like so, "Sorry, but visitors using proxies are not allowed to register. Please send an email to foobar@example.com if you would like to register."

Now, just the most determined people are going to send you emails, but you can be more certain that these are characters of higher moral fiber!

roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:02 pm 

I appreciate the insight, gentlemen. Apparently I may be the only one around here using this MOD. I believe I'll turn it off for a while, and see what happens. If I start getting spam registrations, I'll try the suggestion made by Dogs and Things, before I turn it back on.

Many thanks.
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:58 pm 

Quote:
If I start getting spam registrations, I'll try the suggestion made by Dogs and Things

What did I suggest??? icon_eek.gif icon_razz.gif

Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:25 am 

I have not used this MOD, but I have previously blocked proxies through .htaccess, which is very easy to install:
http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/04/20/how-to-block-proxy-servers-via-htaccess/

I had to stop using it, because one member could not access the site from her work at a govermental organization. Others reported that the site could not be accessed from hospitals.
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 am 

dogs and things wrote:
What did I suggest??? icon_eek.gif icon_razz.gif

Oops! Sorry about that. I meant to attribute it to Dog Cow. icon_rolleyes.gif
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:14 am 

hey roadhog, what part of central texas are you in?

I am in Eddy on 35, between waco and temple.

did you get wet tonite?

robert
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 am 

Hey Robert,

It's a small world, as they say. I live out in the country, east of I35, about 15 miles south of Temple, (about 5 miles SW of Holland).

Yep, that was a good rain. I haven't checked the rain gauge yet this morning, but on top of the 1.16 inches we got on Monday, this will put smiles on a lot of farmers faces. The rain on Monday was the most rain we have had at one time since last August. I'm sure it was equally welcome in your neck of the woods.

Lest Dave accuse us of getting off topic here, I'll add that I deactivated the Block Open Proxy Registrants MOD last night, and so far, no spam registrations. icon_wink.gif

Wayne
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group