phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

How to move posts deleted by other admins to a secret area?

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 pm 
Post subject: How to move posts deleted by other admins to a secret area?

Hy!

I need two things:
1.A section of the forum viewble by only the main admin
2.Move post deleted by other admins to that area

I already use Move Post Instead of Deleting MOD. Something like that, would be great. Or somekind of an addon for that one. icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 am 
Post subject: Re: How to move posts deleted by other admins to a secret ar

Hi, when you're requesting new functionality, please use the MOD Requests forum. These aren't standard features, as I'm sure you know. icon_smile.gif Moving now...
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 am 

I don't see any way to deny access to any forum, for any admin.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm 

Yea you would have to create a super user...
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:48 pm 

I don't know much about SQL, but wouldn't be possible to create there a forum only for user ID = 2? And also, to be configurable only by phpMy Admin, not by ordinary Forum Management.
I am not sure if what I'm saying it's possible or easy but probably I am not the only one who has more admins on his board, so someone must have think about this, sometime.
I have to be the only user who sees that area, and after I manage this, I'll see about the part of moving deleted messages by other admins there.
Any other way I can keep track of deleted messages? Like a MOD that deletes them from the board, but not from database, there only mark them as deleted. Or send mail to main admin with content of deleted posts... I don't know, something like that. I need someway of keeping track of deleted messages and a way of easily restoring them. icon_rolleyes.gif

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:44 pm 

I would have to say that if you can't trust your other admins/moderators then you need to reconsider them as staff members.

robert
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:54 pm 

Heh, I was fairly certain someone would post that. icon_smile.gif

The concept of a "trash bin" is not new, and is in fact being discussed for phpBB3.2. With the permissions system available in 3.x you would even be able to lock other "admins" out of that forum, is my understanding. The stock permissions system for phpBB2 does not allow you to lock an admin out of anything, so it would have to be hard-coded in some way.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:20 pm 

Ditto on what's been mentioned in the two posts just above. The Simple Bin MOD will set up the bin that you want, but even if you set it to the most restricted forum permission, (Administrators), all admins will see it. If you go to personal permissions, you cannot use the "Access Disallowed" option, because it is not available for admin level use. I'm not sure if trying to change that in the database is even possible, let alone advisable.

To expand on what Dave said about hard coding, you would have to establish a new user_level in the database, that created a permission level higher than Administrator, or between Admin and Moderator, but I don't have any idea how to go about that. That could really throw a monkey wrench into the machinery, in a lot of places in the code.

Here's the Simple Bin MOD:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=423662&hilit=simple+bin

I'm with Robert and Dave - demote any admins or moderators that you don't trust. That's a no-brainer.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:07 pm 

The hard-coding I was thinking about was to restrict access to user_id = 2, or whatever the list of authorized people might be. I have done this myself on my bigger board. I have some backup admins that are allowed to research user issues and help them with their passwords / email activations and so on, but they're not allowed to change the board configuration. This is done simply by restricting use of those features by user_id.

It's simpler than setting up a new access level, but it's hard-coded.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:23 pm 

roadhog wrote:
Ditto on what's been mentioned in the two posts just above. The Simple Bin MOD will set up the bin that you want, but even if you set it to the most restricted forum permission, (Administrators), all admins will see it. If you go to personal permissions, you cannot use the "Access Disallowed" option, because it is not available for admin level use. I'm not sure if trying to change that in the database is even possible, let alone advisable.

To expand on what Dave said about hard coding, you would have to establish a new user_level in the database, that created a permission level higher than Administrator, or between Admin and Moderator, but I don't have any idea how to go about that. That could really throw a monkey wrench into the machinery, in a lot of places in the code.

Here's the Simple Bin MOD:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=423662&hilit=simple+bin

I'm with Robert and Dave - demote any admins or moderators that you don't trust. That's a no-brainer.

I've looked at this Simple Bin MOD, and seems very similar to Move Posts Instead of Delete, wich I already use. The only important difference seems to be the fact that my MOD doesn't move posts deleted by admins, but only by users and mods. But probably I could figure it out how to do it also for admins, but that isn't good enough, if I don't have a forum that only I can see.

Another option that I was thinking about was the Password Protected Forums MOD. I could even take out forum password field (right after I put a password) from A.P., so that other admins can't ever change it. But this still doesn't satisfy me because they will see the request for a password and they will smell something's fishy... they will think I don't trust them. icon_sad.gif Probably a better solution would be to just hide the bin forum for everyone, including me. And to see it, you need to put in the link yourforum.com/viewforum.php?f=20 or whatever...

I'm still thinking about all posibilities and listen very caryfully at what you guys advice. icon_wink.gif

dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am 

Quote:
they will see the request for a password and they will smell something's fishy... they will think I don't trust them.

Shame on them!!!

How dare they??? icon_razz.gif

Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group