phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Flood interval

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: Flood interval

Jim, if you have auto-group MODs that's a potential candidate for a reason behind your server loads. Auto-group MODs are notorious for being resource hogs. You have to run extra queries every time someone posts, which I don't think is a very good idea. What are you using the auto-group MOD for?

As far as approvals, you don't want to use auto-groups for this, do you? You want someone to remain "unapproved" until they have been approved, and approval should not be tied to the number of posts else a spammer can self-approve just by posting a bunch. Maybe I am not reading correctly what you're doing, but the two concepts seems to not work together in my mind...

A blog post I wrote a while back:

Why Auto-Group MODs are bad for your board...

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:16 pm 

Hi Dave
No we do not have Auto groups on the boards.
I was just playing around with the Approval mod and seeking a way to automate it so that we did not have to add users manually to a new users group and then set it so that group required approval followed by later having to move them from that group in order that they may post unapproved.

I have seen that you can set ranks to be able to post unapproved or not but this approval mod has in my opinion too many places where approval or not can be set so I am going to have to sit down with it when I have a bit more time.

At the moment the spamming via posts is few and far between but I want something to implement as and when it does become a problem.

Jim

Edit
Having played around with this now for a day or so and tried various mods I have reached the conclusion that the "Admin delete user with all postings" mod is the way to go. Just 3 files to edit and about as easy a mod as you are going to find. There is the option to Delete just the user, user and all his/her posts, User and topics they have started and just posts they have made.
When the action is completed there is a page produced of the effect of those changes to other users post counts where the removed user had actually started the topic. (would not apply with a spammer)
Post counts and such affected by the action are all resync
There is also very quick access to the interface as it is at the bottom of the users profile and can only be seen by an Admin.
There are no database changes to be made to install the mod.
The account and posts of an Admin can not be deleted by use of this function.

I give this mod 5 stars and will suggest it to my son.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm 

Double Post Merge
This hack allows you to merge post text on a post to the last message of another topic, instead of adding a new post. It will only work if the posts were both made by the same person.

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 pm 

I don't really want to merge the spammers posts!! icon_wink.gif
I would much sooner do as described just select to remove the spammer account and all the spam posts.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:38 pm 

Admin Delete User with All Postings
This hack enables the administrator to delete a user and all of their postings directly from their profile. The administrator can do any of these:
1. Delete user only (their posts stay).
2. Delete user and all of the topics that that user has started (their replies to other topics stay).
3. Delete user and all of their posts.
4.Delete posts only (user account stay).
All phpBB statistics are resynced and a report is generated detailing the changes that were made.

Also, if you really want to prevent spammers doing bad stuff on your board, you may want to use:
Double Post Control
This MOD effectively stops users from posting the same message twice in a row.

Or even this:
Visual Confirmation on New Posters
This hack integrates the phpBB visual confirmation system with posting to require newly registered members and guests to enter a code before their post is entered in your database. Posts from new members can also be blocked if the message contains the contents of their website profile field.
To avoid inconveniencing your legitimate members, you can set the number of posts for which new members must enter visual confirmation.

I hope you'll find this useful, Jim. icon_smile.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:50 pm 

It is the "Admin delete user and all posts" that I have been testing and I am very impressed with that as a means of quickly removing a spammer and all his/her/it's posts. I will take a look at the Double posts one which I guess is intended to stop the repeated posts that users make when the server is under load and they are having to wait for an acknowledgement to posting.
Does it stop just the double post in the same topic? What about identical posts made into multiple topics over multiple fora - that is what the spammers do with their scripts.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:17 pm 

It will stop double posts only for the same user, even if it's in different topics, but I assume it can be modified to not check username and block double posting no matter the username. icon_wink.gif And this doesn't have nothing to do with server loading, it just stops consecutive messages with same content.

Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group