phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Problem deleting bots.

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Nightowl
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:58 am 
Post subject: Problem deleting bots.

Hi. I am new to this, but here goes. I have been deleting the bots the same way I have always done it. One by one. I took over a board that had 50 plus pages of them, and finally caught up with everyone of them. I still get about 10 new ones each day, but I delete them once a day. My problem is this.

I think somehow they found a chink in the amour as they say. I tried deleting them the way I have always done it, but when I enter their name, it says user does not exist. I can't get them off of the memberslist, no way, no how. I have even tried to acknowlege one of them to the board, thinking I could get rid of it that way. The 3 I can't get rid of have 3 letters behind the username. Thats about the only thing I can see different from the others that I have deleted.

Valium Pill 507
Buy Cheap Xanax 596
Ativan Pharmacy 328

These are the 3 that are giving me fits. One person told me to change their names, then delete them. The problem is that the software doesn't recognize them, there for they don't exist. The web page is using PHPBB 2.0.21. We are going to upgrade, to 3.0 but there are some issues that I have to work out. This is not my website, but the owner has givin me the admin rights to do as I see fit. Is there a password to get to the FTP? As you can see, I am a little lost, and need some help. The place he has the site is Globat.com. I am not sure what to do next. Thanks

Richard
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: Problem deleting bots.

those are just the add titles. Cant really do much with that info. But there are several options on how to put an end to those bots and everyone seams to have their own solutions to this.. and thats a good thing because with a lot of options it makes it harder for the bots coders to adapt their code to get past yours.

I'll tell you what though.. I have been using this List of banned spammer e-mail host and it really does stop them cold. This works really well for boards that have found themselves a target like you have. People with valid email addresses can still register but the bot owners that use their own email servers can not get it.

Of course using a good security mod with it will even make your board stronger but this really is an instant stop to spam and its very easy to install right from your ACP.

Seriously though that list is like slamming the door on spam. Forum Nut had a honey post set up to collect spam addresses and when he added that list the board went completely dead. Many people swear by that list. Go read the thread.. Oh and you may have to register there to get to it btw so if you click the link and don't go directly to the list register then click on it again..

When your done uploading it to your ACP post here and tell us how it worked icon_biggrin.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 pm 

You can not find them when you go to management because they are using a "character" that does not show in the username.

The job is easy.
Install the Admin Toolkit and find and delete them with that.
Next install the VIP code(takes about 5 minutes) and get no more bots.

Jim

vip.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  vip.zip
 Filesize:  1.6 KB
 Downloaded:  343 Time(s)

toolkitv2.1.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  toolkitv2.1.zip
 Filesize:  40.73 KB
 Downloaded:  421 Time(s)

Nightowl
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:22 pm 

Thanks. I will give it a try. We will see how it works. Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

Richard
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group