phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Recommended log IP upon registration MOD...?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Chapter 24
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:01 pm 
Post subject: Recommended log IP upon registration MOD...?

I am wondering which MOD I should use for logging the IP address of a newly registered member.

I have the Admin Userlist MOD already installed - if that makes any difference. I saw there was an add-on for that, but it looked like I need to install something else as well or it won't work?
I'd like something simple to install that is known to be stable and secure and won't conflict with the Admin Userlist. Wondering what is the most widely used MOD for this purpose.
Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 pm 
Post subject: Re: Recommended log IP upon registration MOD...?

Try Log IP Address on Registration by TerraFrost. I have no conflict problem with.
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:56 pm 

That's the one that I've been using for at least a couple of years, with absolutely no problems.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 am 

In relation to this and any other mod that logs IP at registration can I ask one question.

What is the point?

Jim
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:17 pm 

Oh, come on-- even phpBB 3 has that feature. If the phpBB Group thought it worthy enough to add to phpBB 3, surely it must be worthy enough to add on our own to phpBB 2.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:33 pm 

Dog Cow wrote:
Oh, come on-- even phpBB 3 has that feature. If the phpBB Group thought it worthy enough to add to phpBB 3, surely it must be worthy enough to add on our own to phpBB 2.

You did not answer the question.

Jim
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm 

I use an IP log MOD that logs the IP from which a user last logged in and I set my cookie expiration time to three weeks. This way I always have a pretty recent IP record.

That seems like a bit more sensible to me than an IP log of IP's upon registering only because IP's do change over time.

I don't recall what MOD it is right now though. icon_cry.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

dogs and things wrote:
This way I always have a pretty recent IP record.

Same question:- "What is the point"?

Jim
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:41 pm 

Well,

It seems to me the closest I can get to being able to track down a "funny" user, or shadow-accounts.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:46 pm 

I use it as comparison point if ever I have a trouble with a specific member. For example in case of stolen account or double account.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:58 pm 

Ram wrote:
I use it as comparison point if ever I have a trouble with a specific member. For example in case of stolen account.

You have had accounts stolen! I have never experienced that with any of the sites I have been involved with.

There are mods that I have installed that if I am honest about it I wish that I had not. I think very carefully now about adding anything at all. It has to have a positive benefit to either users or myself before I would consider it.
I recall over the years folks on phpbb.com boasting of having 100's of mods installed. (I think one boast was about 300)
I am rather envious of the speed of this site that is largely down to Dave keeping functions to a minimum. (Still think it needs PM's though icon_lol.gif )

Jim
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:24 pm 

I have many MODs installed, far more than 200, but there's nothing that I don´t consider useful in some manner, I don't install useless stuff.

And my board is not slow, although I must admit that I have not been able to observe it under much load, I have a quiet board. Little by little it's having more activity and so far no speed problems have shown, I'd say it's more or less as fast as when it had no MODs at all.

And as far as my IP logging is concerned, I have not had any problems yet in which this tool can be useful but I don´t exclude the possibility that one day the need might arise, and I prefer to be prepared when that day comes.

Although the most likely scenario is that that day will never come. (Fingers crossed) icon_razz.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 pm 

Having administrate forums with various kind of people registering, and often teenagers - with all the problems that are involved in this case - no offense to teenagers icon_wink.gif, I have never needed such a tool, simply because real problematic peoples use a proxy rather than their direct IP, and also because other are quite easy to deal the standard way - eg adaptative threat coupled to reason argues. Honnestly, an IP worth nothing after 1 hour, often less than that. There are much more efficient ways to track double accounts, starting simply with the cookie support, then with the time connections, dac's, and so.

Regarding having such a feature in phpBB 3 as a point: well, this is not because a mod is so popular that it is included in the core line it has some real value - so the birthday date as another example. I have hit this kind of way by the past, and learned a lot about the experience icon_wink.gif. You have the exact opposite point with not having a quick reply feature in phpBB 3 though it is probably the most popular one. It only depends the programmer/team choice, and their point of view at a specific time. IMHO, the good way to think is: do you really need this at this very time, and have you really been at any time been blocked because you didn't have it.
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:38 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:

You did not answer the question.

Jim

I didn't intend on it. From what I've read, there's not a whole lot of MODs which you consider useful or having a point.

roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 pm 

Jim,

I installed that MOD way back before I had ever heard of the RAC MOD, (and before it had been perfected, I believe). At the time, when combined with the time zone trick, and a ZIP code request, it was the best way I had to pick out obvious spambot registrations, and delete them, before they were allowed to post. Today, yes, there is little need for it, because the RAC MOD seems to give flawless results. That wasn't the case, back when I installed it. Still, I haven't been tempted to uninstall it, because I don't see any reason why it would slow a board down.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group