phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Need a New Hosting Company

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:08 pm 
Post subject: Need a New Hosting Company

Hi, I am the New Guy and did not see a "New Members" forum to check in, so please do not think I'm being rude for just jumping right in with my question - icon_biggrin.gif

I have a website with about 1500 members that I contact once a week via the "Mass E-mail" button in the ACP -
The weekly e-mails are generally about the upcoming weekend's events, and/or give-a-ways from our sponsors, and there is an "opt out" link provided with each e-mail in case any of my members would no longer like to receive them - icon_biggrin.gif

My hosting of company 5 years just sold all their accounts to another, and this new host has a 100 per hour limit on e-mails sent - icon_mad.gif Now I cannot send out my weekly communications to my members, and need to change hosts -
My new host has offered me a free "Members List" where I can break down my 1500 e-mail list into 14 seperate smaller lists, but I am simply not interested in sending out 14 seperate e-mails, one hour at a time - icon_rolleyes.gif

My needs are for a new host that does not have an hourly limit, or can increase that value so I can reach my members with one click -

I am also going to need some help moving my data to that new host -

I can graciously thank anyone who wants to show me how to move my site, or I would be happy to make a donation to your paypal account if you have time to do it for me - icon_biggrin.gif

The main thing right now for me would be to thank the guys who are willing to point me to a host with no hourly e-mail limits -

Thanks in advance - New Guy - icon_biggrin.gif
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Need a New Hosting Company

New Guy wrote:

My hosting of company 5 years just sold all their accounts to another, and this new host has a 100 per hour limit on e-mails sent - icon_mad.gif Now I cannot send out my weekly communications to my members, and need to change hosts -

My host made that change a few months ago too. What I had to do was program a delayed mass emailer which sends only a few hundred emails ever hour.

I'll think you'll find that most every web host has put this restriction in-place, or at least most of the low-cost/shared hosting providers.

Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 pm 

BlueHost is rather inexpensive ($6.95 a month) and allows 750 emails per hour.
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:11 am 

Dog Cow wrote:
What I had to do was program a delayed mass emailer which sends only a few hundred emails ever hour.

Thanks for the reply DC icon_biggrin.gif -

I have the "mega mail" mod installed, but it is a PITA (for my needs) - I have them grouped into 180 usernames and have the delay set for 3650 seconds - I have 1926 e-mail addys and it takes more than 10 hours to send out the notice - while not always import that everyone get's the e-mail at the same time, there are many times when I need everyone back to the site at once, (like when we have and impromptu raffle, or something exciting that happened) -

Now, instead of having all the members getting the notice at the same time, they are spread out over a half a day - not fair when we have "guess the score" or "pick the number" for a nice prize donated by a sponsor - icon_sad.gif

Acaria wrote:
BlueHost is rather inexpensive ($6.95 a month) and allows 750 emails per hour.

Thanks Acaria - icon_biggrin.gif
It's funny you should mention Matt Heeton and BlueHost - I was with them about 4 years or so ago - I left them because they had hands down, the absolute worst customer service on the planet - just plained sucked so bad I was pulling my hair out just trying to get a hold of somebody there, (as Matt and his buds were too important to actually answer the phone) - That "normally" shouldn't be an issue if their servers actually stayed up all the time, then there would be no reason to call them -

For chits and grins, I called them on Friday - OMG, had flashbacks right away - on hold for 23 minutes -
24/7 Superb/Responsive Sales/Support
What a lying joke - called them 4 years later, same exact crap, same exact automated messages playing while on hold every minute or so -

Any who - their default is 200 per hour, but if you can actually get a hold of some "upper" management, you might be able to sweet talk them into raising it to 750, (hard to "sweet talk" anyone after being on hold for a half hour) - icon_mad.gif

I sure as heck hope someone out there runs across a host without an hourly limit, because this has become a huge aggravating problem for me as it has always been imperative for me to contact my members in a timely fashion

Thanks for the replies, I look forward to others - icon_biggrin.gif

New Guy
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:00 pm 

Consider maybe a low cost VPS account and then your problem goes away as it is your mail server to set whatever limits (or none) that you want.

Of course a VPS is going to set you back a lot more than shared hosting.

Jim
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 pm 

Orly? o 3o

I used to work on a website in which I set up the account on Blue Host. I always found their customer support rather decent.

And I just called in and asked last night about the emails-per-hour. They said a typical account has 750/hr, but you can pay extra to get extra.
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:23 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
Consider maybe a low cost VPS account and then your problem goes away as it is your mail server to set whatever limits (or none) that you want.

Of course a VPS is going to set you back a lot more than shared hosting.

Jim

Thanks Jim, but not always true - An employee at current host, midphase, assumed the same thing - had me seconds away from dropping $59.00 mo when I made him triple check that I could send out my e-mails - he put me on hold, came back and told me the same limit of 200 is also in place on their VPS accounts as well -

200 per hour is 4800 e-mails per day - 33,600 per week -
(I only need to send out about 1,400 per week total) -
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:28 pm 

Acaria wrote:
Orly? o 3o

I used to work on a website in which I set up the account on Blue Host. I always found their customer support rather decent.

And I just called in and asked last night about the emails-per-hour. They said a typical account has 750/hr, but you can pay extra to get extra.

That's really funny that two employees would say two different things don't you think -

If you could please pass on the name of the employee you talked to, my problems will be solved, as I have no problem what so ever paying extra to have the number boosted up -

This has been a major sore spot for me, and i really appreciate you guys helping me out - thanks again - New Guy - icon_biggrin.gif
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 pm 

I don't remember the name, sorry. D:
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:13 pm 

Acaria wrote:
I don't remember the name, sorry. D:

That's funny that you called them specifically to ask them about it, and didn't get a name - you're just messing around with me right, I mean, what is a "typical account" (the default is set 200 on all accounts), but you can asked to have it raised if you call them - I talked to John from Blue Host, I made sure to get his name -
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:33 pm 

Wow, that was quite rude. Okay, so I didn't commit the guys name to memory? I was helping you, and you call me a liar?

Very nice.

I went and opened a live chat with a member of their support team. This way I could take a screenshot so there would be no question.

The guy I spoke to didn't say 150 was the default, so I apologize for that. But you can raise it to 750 free of charge.

So, please don't try to call me a liar when I'm trying to help you out. M'kay? icon_smile.gif

proof here.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.35 KB
 Viewed:  1246 Time(s)

proof here.png

Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:54 am 

Maybe you could take a look at the newsletter program PHPList, with it you can send out batches of mail hourly etc.

http://www.phplist.com/
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:32 am 

Acaria wrote:
Wow, that was quite rude. Okay, so I didn't commit the guys name to memory? I was helping you, and you call me a liar?

Very nice.

I'm not calling you a liar, (but feel you were out to prove me wrong, rather than help, (re-read your posts) -

You specifically called them after my post, and then posted contrary statements to my findings - I just wanted a name from you so I could call them up, ask for that person, and get my site moved, (but you *forgot* to get it) -
I already posted what John told me, and wanted to specifically talk to the person you got your info from, that's all -
I am also always sure to thank people for their help while on the internet, because I appreciate it - (maybe you missed that part)?

According to Thomas D, he refused to answer the question without you providing your Domain/password - Since I do not have an account with Blue Host, it would appear that Thomas D would not even answer the question, for me -

I am going to call them right now and see if they want my account -
I really need to get this sorted out, and thank you guys once again -

Thanks
New Guy
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:38 am 

Slackervaara wrote:
Maybe you could take a look at the newsletter program PHPList, with it you can send out batches of mail hourly etc.

http://www.phplist.com/

You must have missed it, but I have already been down that road - thanks for the reply though, it's appreciated - icon_biggrin.gif

New Guy wrote:

I have the "mega mail" mod installed, but it is a PITA (for my needs) - I have them grouped into 180 usernames and have the delay set for 3650 seconds - I have 1926 e-mail addys and it takes more than 10 hours to send out the notice -
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:37 pm 

I knew that you could get 750 emails out per hour. However, when you posted that, I thought I could've been thinking about somewhere else.

So I called in and asked to double-check. It was a very simple question, so I didn't bother writing anything down or making a whole scene about it.

Well, sorry for coming off as rude or contradictory. I was only trying to help.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group