phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

How to REALLY block a user?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
AsciiSector
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: How to REALLY block a user?

If he knows that he's been flagged as a troll by the Troll Mod, he can just delete the cookie and sign up through a proxy IP. That's the trouble with a lot of trolls (and certainly one very annoying troll I had to deal with): they can just use proxies. I see the point of the Troll Mod as not really informing the troll that he's been banned/flagged. He just thinks that the site is acting up and believes that his messages go through. As long as he isn't aware that he's been flagged as a troll, he won't be using proxies and other methods of circumventing the ban. It's a very cool mod, actually. icon_smile.gif
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm 

The average troll is not very aware of the possibilities to circumvent bans and the like. For those people the Troll MOD indeed is a nice tool. icon_wink.gif

If we´re dealing with a professional troll just about anything will not work to stop it. icon_sad.gif

Fortunately, on my board, in it's six years of existence, I've not seen many Troll-like behavior and certainly no clever trolls, so the two users that I wanted to get rid of where very nicely dealt with by the Troll MOD.

Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 am 

In .htaccess it is possible to block most proxies, which can be a possibility to block trolls and hackers, but unfortunately it blocks also some legimate users also behind proxies.

http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/04/20/how-to-block-proxy-servers-via-htaccess/
AsciiSector
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 am 

If you google for IP proxies there are thousands of proxies for a troll to use. I discovered this when the troll on my board switched proxies almost once a minute. I was completely unable to block him and in the end had to close all new registrations and guest posting for a couple of days. Thankfully I've only had one troll like this, but he was quite a hassle to get rid of. You're probably right that most trolls don't know how to use proxy addresses, but a simple google will sadly let them do it pretty easily.

EDIT: I just re-read your link in more detail. Very interesting!
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:03 pm 

Slackervaara wrote:
In .htaccess it is possible to block most proxies, which can be a possibility to block trolls and hackers, but unfortunately it blocks also some legimate users also behind proxies.

http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/04/20/how-to-block-proxy-servers-via-htaccess/

It sound interesting. I will definetly test it! icon_biggrin.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group