phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Let the Editor Wars Begin

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 pm 
Post subject: Let the Editor Wars Begin

I should probably know better than to ask the question, but here goes...

I've looked all over for a replacement editor but haven't made a decision. Was wondering if any of the veterans have suggestions for a good PHP/HTML editor.

I have some specific improvements I'm looking for. Currently, I use PSPad with a project-from-directory created in a local windows directory (eg \webroot\myproject) which allows me test changes instantly. PSPad is a fine (and free) editor. I highly recommend it. But it comes up short in some areas. I'd like to find an editor that has tight and adaptive FTP integration. I'd prefer to be able to selectively upload to the hot site only those scripts/files that have been changed. PSPad does not seem to track changes.

I've been looking at Rapid PHP. Any one familiar with it or have a suggestion of their own ( <-- the loaded question).
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 pm 
Post subject: Re: Let the Editor Wars Begin

For editing on Windows I use UltraEdit. It has built-in ftp but I have never tried to see what all if its features are.

To be honest, I don't edit on a client, I have a development site running linux and I edit everything with vi. icon_smile.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:04 am 

Ah, good ol' vi. I haven't booted my Linux box in a year. Just seemed so much easier edit/run/debug all from Winders.

:wq!

Ooooo. UltraEdit does look like it's loaded for bear.
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:59 pm 

I am using Notepad and TextPad icon_redface.gif
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:27 pm 

Notepad is no good if you are using special characters because they can show up funny, even if you see them okay in Notepad. The profesional solution is Notepad++

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:33 pm 

i ahve had no rpoblems with Swedish labguage in Notepad. But now I am using TextPad 99% of the time.
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:06 am 

Just as a follow-up, I did purchase UltraEdit + Studio version. Impressive and feature packed (bewilderingly so). The UI is completely configurable...which is a good thing since the default arrangement has about a million buttons you'll never use while working with PHP.

The FTP client is robust. Haven't tried the differential update feature yet.

The studio version can run the script in a sandbox to include accessing a MySQL DB. Played with this feature only briefly. It's probably redundant if you're a running local *AMP setup.

It can also run a debugger - which I haven't tried yet. The sandbox would indeed come in handy (and be mandatory) to use the debugger.

It's worth a look if anyone is contemplating spending money for an editor.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:28 am 

For me it has to be Crimson editor

Jim

Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:45 pm 

OS X GUI: TextEdit, and TextMate when I need line numbers

command-line: nano

ABDev
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:01 am 

PSPad for me too.
Ptirhiik
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 pm 

I think all depend if you want/like auto-completion and structure auto-generated, like if(){} (I hate those both by my side). In this cases, eclipse based/like editor are probably the best for you (Crimson Editor is one of those). If you like straight edition with colorization, notepad++, ultraEdit, or EditPlus (my prefered one) are probably the best option. In all cases, stay far, far away of dreamweaver, and as far as possible of builded-in ftp client: I've seen too many sites simply destroyed because of these last ones, even by experimented users.

Then, a good move is to have an advanced editor capable of performing a var, function and other figurative validation, and if possible, profiling: it can be a real value to your code, even if you don't use them as main editor (that's my case). I use for this the zend studio (eclipse) for iSeries (not free unless you've got an IBM iSeries, sorry icon_smile.gif).
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group