phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

I'm Moving my Forum - Step By Step -

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: I'm Moving my Forum - Step By Step -

How do I know which database my live site is connected to? (I have 3 and only need to get a fresh copy of the live one) - thanks
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:07 pm 

New Guy wrote:
How do I know which database my live site is connected to? (I have 3 and only need to get a fresh copy of the live one) - thanks

Anyone?
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 pm 

Look in the config.php file
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm 

Holger wrote:
Look in the config.php file

Thanks -

So it is my understanding that on the new server, I have to name the new database the same exact as in the config file for it to work right?
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 pm 

If you want it to work immideately you should call the DB, the username and the pw the same, yes ...
If not, just change the config.php
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:02 pm 

Holger wrote:
If you want it to work immideately you should call the DB, the username and the pw the same, yes ...
If not, just change the config.php

I'll just edit the config.php file and re-upload it since I renamed the DBs, (so I'd know which is which in the future icon_wink.gif ) -

thanks Holger - icon_smile.gif
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 pm 

np
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm 

It is done and working properly, thanks for the help guys - icon_biggrin.gif

This was my very first move and here's How I did it -

First Step - Move Databases

1) - Went to my old host and opened cPanel - clicked on Backups (under the Files catogory) -
Easily found my three data bases, downloaded them to my local machine, then uploaded the gz (zip files) to a temp folder on the new server -

2) - Went to my new host and opened cPanel - clicked on My SQL Databases (under the Database catogory) and created three databases, users and passwords -

3) - While still in the new cPanel, clicked on File Manager (under the Files catogory) and navigated to the temp folder with the zipped databases -
Highlighted them one at a time and then clicked Extract, (to unzip them) -

4) - While still in the new cPanel, clicked on SSH/Shell Access (under the Security catogory) and entered my root username and password -
I edited this command to to reflect my username, password,database, and path, then pasted it -
here is the command to edit - mysql -uUsername -pPassword database < /path/to/db_backup.sql
I did this for all three databases and was done -

Step Two - Move the public_html folder

1) - Using ftp client FileZilla , I navigated my old server and downloaded the entire public_html file to my local machine, (took most of the day) -

2) - Using ftp client FileZilla, I uploaded the entire public_html folder to my new server, one folder at a time, (checking to make sure nothing got lost) -

Step Three - Edit config.php file

1) - Using ftp client FileZilla, I downloaded the config.php to my local, then edited it to show the correct database name/pass/user for the database I want to connect to - re-uploaded it -

Step Four - Changing Name Servers

1) - Before I went to bed, I went to the web site that I have my domain registered at, logged in, then changed the name servers to point to my new web host -

When I woke up this morning, all was well - icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for all the help guys, I hope my explanation in this post is good enough to help out other newbies - icon_biggrin.gif

New Guy - icon_biggrin.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group