phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

[DEV] mysql fulltext search

Search this topic... | Search MOD Development... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Development  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:22 pm 
Post subject: mysql fulltext search

phpBB.com original thread

I have applied this change to a forum with 180 000+ messages. Unfortunatenaly I'm unable to see any change in speed after building a fulltext index for POSTS_TEXT_TABLE and I am quite disappointed. It takes ten seconds minimum for a search query, and it took this long even before having the fulltext.

Wonder if anyone may have any clue what might have gone wrong. At the moment I'm trying to see if it has any difference that I had the fulltext fields separated to post_subject and post_text and not as just one index with both of them.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:32 pm 
Post subject: Re: mysql fulltext search

Does the MySQL server have enough RAM? From what I've read, to get the best performance, the total index should fit into RAM.
Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:00 pm 

That would then be a problem, the site is on a regular shared server on a host. Although I do get it for free so I can't complain about that (sponsored site). The size of the index is nearly 400 MB so it is rather impossible to have it in memory entirely (when you do account the server is hosting I-don't-know-how-many other sites).
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 pm 

Oh my godness! I would love to see this phpbb2 forum with more or less.. 180.000 messages!! icon_eek.gif

well, 10 seconds I think are quite fair for such big database... icon_smile.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Development  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group