phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

SVN Class is Open

Search this topic... | Search MOD Writing... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Writing  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:24 pm 
Post subject: SVN Class is Open

Sorry. There isn't a forum specifically for language/skills improvement so I'm posting here.

SVN Class is Open....but without a teacher. icon_sad.gif

If any one is interested in learning SVN with me, you are welcome to join in my little sandbox.

I have created a test repository at Googlecode and have started to experiment. Since it is just a test repository we can break it with no worries. The code base currently stored there is the familiar phpBB 2.0.23 in its default, pre-install distribution.

Beyond that, I really have no idea what I'm doing. If experienced SVN gurus would like to drop tips for us now and then, that would be great.

The "project" and repository are at:

http://code.google.com/p/learning-sandbox/

To start playing with it you will need some kind of SVN client for your development environment. If you're using Windows, TortoiseSVN seems to work nicely - although it has a thousand options and parameters that I haven't yet learned.

You'll also need some kind of login. I read that a Gmail account is no longer required at Googlecode but I'm not sure how to add anything but a google account. I can add you as coder to play with checkin/checkout and so forth. If you would also like to tinker with admin functions we can add you in that capacity as well.

A good resource (which I'm still reading) for SVN is here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Oh, I am "Yobihome" at google.
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 am 
Post subject: Re: SVN Class is Open

Merri,

Added you as a project owner. You should be able view and do everything with the sandbox project.

----

I also applied a simple mod as test and learning experience. Using TortoiseSVN and my preferred editor (UltraEdit), I ran through the checkout, edit, commit. Worked without a hitch.

The version history will show...

rev 1: empty directory structure
rev 2: phpBB 2.0.23 base committed
rev 3: "Disable Version Check" mod applied and committed

Very nice. Still a lot to learn.
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Writing  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group