phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

[RELEASED] SFS Anti-Spam Registration

Search this topic... | Search MOD Development... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Development  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
amdoolittle
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:04 pm 
Post subject: SFS Anti-Spam Registration

I have had the time to address some of the issues that made phpBB2 annoying, to say the least. The biggest one that I have a solution for (and would like to share with others) is spam registrations. We all know phpBB2 registration security, in its default state, is very heavily exploited. With that in mind, I utilized the work of stopforumspam.com and their API to integrate username/ip/email checking against their blacklist database. It has been working great, and allows me to extend the usable life of my phpBB2 boards. It was getting a little frustrating removing dozens of spam registrations daily, now I'm down to zero. icon_biggrin.gif

As this is a new 2.0.x mod, it has not been reviewed or tested by any member of the phpBB2 team. Full support for this mod can be found at http://www.alexdoolittle.com

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, criticism, etc!

MOD Name: SFS Anti-Spam Registration
MOD Description: Anti-spam registration mod that integrates with the stopforumspam.com API to verify user details before allowing registration.
MOD Version: 1.0.1 (Updated 12/10/08)
Compatibility: 2.0.18 - 2.0.23 (tested)
Download: Click Here!

sfsantispam_v101.zip
 Description:
SFS Anti-Spam Registration, v1.0.1

Download
 Filename:  sfsantispam_v101.zip
 Filesize:  1.61 KB
 Downloaded:  930 Time(s)

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:59 pm 
Post subject: Re: SFS Anti-Spam Registration

Thats a nice mod but stopforumspam.com's list is not as comprehensive and up to date as the spam list here:

Phpbb 2
Phpbb 3

These get updated all the time and have killed all spam post on my boards. Perhaps the 2 spam lists should work together?

They are starting to sort through abused proxies also.

The list is about 2000 long and growing.

I guess the problem now seams to be gmail abuse.

amdoolittle
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:26 pm 

How can you say it's not as "comprehensive and up to date"? The front page list that you see is just for the last 24 hours (that's rather up-to-date, yes?).

Total number is 83,695 IP/Email/Username spam accounts in their database (from the actual downloadable list) and 121,697 claimed. That's a bit more than the "2,000 long and growing". icon_smile.gif
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 pm 

From what I could see its a smaller list then the one I was looking at and as I compared the two list there were many missing from the "stopforumspam" list that are listed on the list I linked you to. However when comparing the other way every one I searched for was covered.

In short every email server in the stopforumspam list was covered by the Forumnut list but many more are listed that the stopforumlist does not have.

I did a very close evaluation of this because it is of great interest to me.

Additions to the forumnut list are actually slowing down because its very close to 100% effective. The only thing that seams to be getting through from time to time are new gmail addresses. But you can not block everything else no one will be able to register at all.. So those email addresses are being collected and sent to Google for them to take appropriate action with instead of adding Gmail to the blacklist.

I went back and took another look and at this point I stand by my statement that the lists I linked to are more complete and more effective.

1 gmail spammer in 4 years kind of proves that.

I asked the owner of the site about the list and he has been collecting these email server addresses for years from sites all over the internet. and has open forums where he runs open registrations simply for the purpose of collecting spammer information.

He also ran some very large community forum hosts where he had the opportunity to collect a bullet proof enough list to stop spammers from peoples sites that were complaining about spambot attacks..

The list I linked you to is not a fly by night list. This a a very well made list done by a very smart fella. Install it and you will be surprised how well it works.

Where your list is getting the exact mailing addresses this list gets future attempts also from abusive domains. Not only that but it covers repetitive attempts of the same email name on all abused domains.

All I can say to you is try it and see for yourself. icon_wink.gif

I'm not trying to say that your mod is not useful, just that this is the most effective email ban list I have ever seen compiled. Perhaps the stopforumspam site should import Forum Nuts list?

This seams logical to me.

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:52 pm 

what?????
the post above looks like a poor translation from what was posted above to some other language and then translated back to english poorly.

not to mention it was a reply to a post from 6 years ago.

robert
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 pm 

You seem to be right. icon_eek.gif

I noticed the post and did not read it all but I did remove a spammish link from it.

Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Development  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group