phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

How to upload files if server's not accepting any file type?

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am 
Post subject: How to upload files if server's not accepting any file type?

The hard-disck of the server where I'm hosted burned, so almost a month my board did not work.
After fixing this, the webhoster said to me I was having mallware hosted and it seems it put some annoying limitations. icon_sad.gif
I was having unlimited disk space, but now I have only 200 mb. And most important, it seems that I am unable to upload any new files. I get the following error:
The filename provided is not being accepted by the server. Please check for invalid characters and try again.
This happens with JPEG files, BMP, PHP, CSS... probably everything. You name it, we don't have it. icon_lol.gif
The only thing that I am able to do is edit files. In cPanel I have this option, but is riscky editing on-line my files, without first testing them off-line.
I was wondering if there is any way I can go around this, because it is very very uncool. icon_sad.gif

P.S.: I can't say anything to my hoster because he is kindly hosting me for free for two and a half years.

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: How to upload files if server's not accepting any file t

Even free hosting is no good unless you can upload files to the server. Depending on your sites traffic there may be some inexpensive shared hosting that would suit you.

I would change host P.D.Q.

Jim
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:54 pm 

I agree with Jim,

But a possibility I see is to install Xampp and run a copy of your live site on your local computer. That way you can try the edits there first before you do them on the live server.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 pm 

Still, without the possibility to ever add other files in the future... that host isn't really useful anymore in the long run.
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 pm 

One solution is to ZIP every file ...
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:57 pm 

I've tryed to upload archived files, like Holger suggested, and it worked. But then I tryed again with JPEG and PHP files and those worked too, fortunatelly. So it seems that my problem went away, maybe it was just an error, it was without intention. Because if he have done that, I would have hated him all my life. icon_smile.gif

Thanks to all of you! Great people here, allways willing to help. icon_razz.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group