phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Trouble with the overall_header.tpl file

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
route66
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm 
Post subject: Trouble with the overall_header.tpl file

Hi everybody... I was doing some editing (notepad) in my overall_header.tpl When i was done i saved the page under UTF instead of ASCII. Now, that really screwed thing up, big time. Check this out: http://www.greencyberfans.com/forum/

I tried replacing the overall_header.tpl file with some back ups i had, didn't help. I also tried the tpl file from a different theme, again no change. Then i checked the other themes (I have three) and they're all screwed up the same way! Can someone help? Please... And BTW, hello Robert, how are you doing good buddy? It's been a long time..
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: Trouble with the overall_header.tpl file

Can you please attach your index_body.tpl file as well as your /includes/page_header.php file?
route66
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:52 pm 

This index_body.tpl is saved under Unicode encoding. The page_header.php under ANSI
The system here won't allow the attachment of a .tpl file or a .php file

How can I get them to you?

Thank you very much for trying to help

I just want to add that the other two themes work just fine.
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:18 am 

Either rename a copy to .txt and link them or use ZIP!

Edit: empty the cache-folder!
route66
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:25 am 

Here are the attachments. I hope this helps

And how do i empty the cache-folder?

Thank you

index_body.txt.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  index_body.txt.txt
 Filesize:  31.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1638 Time(s)

page_header.txt.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  page_header.txt.txt
 Filesize:  15.22 KB
 Downloaded:  1647 Time(s)

Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:25 pm 

overall_header.tpl contains many non-latin characters. Greek?
route66
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:53 pm 

Yes, Greek characters.. The Forum worked fine before with Greek characters, for 15 years!!!! I have two different Forum themes/templates that work fine with the Greek characters.. It's just the subsilver theme/template that got messed-up. Like i said it's the "overall_header.tpl" file that did it.
How do you empty the cache-folder? I'd like to try that and then upload a fresh "overall_header.tpl" file.. I think that's gonna do it.. Can you please give the instructions?

Thank you
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:12 pm 

Start with deleting the Greek characters. Just to check that it is the cause for the problem.

To empty the cache just delete all files in the folder /cache/
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:35 pm 

Maybe, I'm not at all sure, but for trying you won΄t lose anything, this is an character encoding problem.
Change
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1253">
into
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-7">

Board Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:24 pm 

I tried the encoding thing.. That's not it. I also emptied the cache folder completely, but I still see the paragraph I initially added that started the problem. I've even uploaded the overall_header.tpl from the SubGreen theme, still see the old paragraph, in the SubSilver, which means that the cache folder isn't clearing or emptying. I used the google Chrome browser and I can clearly see that it's still there... Again, when I switch to my DustyGreen or the SubGreen template everything shows just fine..
If you want me to switch to one of those two themes, so you can see it, please let me know..
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:58 pm 

Hey, your <meta> tags should not end with a />. /random

The problem is not your overall_header.tpl or includes/page_header.php . The css and other header info that you would find in either file is perfectly uncorrupt.

Navigating to a url other than the index body, such as this forum, proves that. Stop making changes to your overall_header.tpl file, as that one is perfectly fine!

For the sake of testing, will you please remove this section of your index_body.tpl file and tell us what happens?

Code:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1" color=#ffffff>Μεγάλη νύχτα η Κυριακή 2 Μαίου 2010, αντάξια του Παναθηναϊκού και αξέχαστη, θα την συζητάμε για πολλά χρόνια.
Εαν κάποιος δεν ήταν στο ΟΑΚΑ, ή έστω, να το είδε τηλεοπτικά, δεν μπορεί να το κατανοήσει. Για όσους πάντως ενδιαφέρονται, το έχω ήδη εγγράψει σε DVD και μπορώ να το στείλω σε όποιον αδελφό Παναθηναϊκό στην Υφήλιο.

Επειδή δεν είναι δυνατόν να περιγράψω, ούτε και να κλείσω μέσα σε λέξεις τα συναισθήματα, μονάχα δύο πράγματα θα πω: Το πρώτο είναι ότι ο Παναθηναϊκός έδειξε να βρίσκεται σε άλλο επίπεδο από το παρελθόν, και από τις εποχές που γιορτάζαμε ντάμπλ με... 150 μπαλόνια στον ουρανό, έχουμε κάνει εκατομμύρια χιλιόμετρα μπροστά. Ο σεβασμός προς την Ιστορία μας (σ.σ. φιλικό παλαιμάχων), η έμπρακτη επίδειξη ενότητας (σ.σ. παρουσία του γυναικείου βόλεϋ στη γιορτή), έλειπαν οικτρά στο παρελθόν.

Το δεύτερο και σημαντικότερο είναι το συναίσθημα, να ξέρεις ότι αυτά για τα οποία γιορτάζεις, ουδής τα αμφισβητεί, είναι πέρα για πέρα ΤΙΜΙΑ, κρυστάλλινα, στολισμένα με δόξα και αθλητικό ιδεώδες. Και οι άνθρωποι που βλέπεις να χαίρονται γι'αυτό, είτε είναι εν ενεργεία στελέχη (παίκτες, διοίκηση, προπονητές), είτε είναι παλαίμαχοι, είναι άνθρωποι, ΑΚΕΡΑΙΟΙ, ΤΙΜΙΟΙ, ΤΑΠΕΙΝΟΙ, ΔΟΞΑΣΜΕΝΟΙ, ποτισμένοι με τα αγνότερα αισθήματα και ΠΑΝΑΘΗΝΑΪΚΑ ιδεώδη.

Ουδής άλλος στην Ελλάδα (μπορεί και παγκόσμια) δεν μπορεί να συγκεντρώσει ΟΛΑ αυτά που περιέγραψα πιο πάνω, μέσα σε ένα έμβλημα, μέσα σε μιά λέξη. Ουδής. ΜΟΝΟ Ο ΠΑΝΑΘΗΝΑΪΚΟΣ.

Κύριοι, ΣΥΓΧΑΡΗΤΗΡΙΑ,

ΜΑΣ ΚΑΝΕΤΕ ΥΠΕΡΗΦΑΝΟΥΣ!<br> <b><u>&#928;&#940;&#961;&#951;&#962;</u></b></font>
route66
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:19 pm 

Acaria wrote:
The problem is not your overall_header.tpl or includes/page_header.php . The css and other header info that you would find in either file is perfectly uncorrupt.

Navigating to a url other than the index body, such as this forum, proves that. Stop making changes to your overall_header.tpl file, as that one is perfectly fine!

For the sake of testing, will you please remove this section of your index_body.tpl file and tell us what happens?

I did just that and it worked! (I had to do some modifications in the overall_header.tpl file to get the appearance right), so it was in the index_body.tpl, whatever it was that was causing the problem. For whatever it's worth to all of you, I think that when I was doing that text I switched from ANSI to Unicode characters, so there was two encodings, and that's what I think did it. That makes sense I think because I use Greek characters all the time, been using them for years..
Looks good to me, and in place, http://www.greencyberfans.com/forum/ You can check it out if you want, and if you see anything out of the ordinary, that I don't see, please let me know.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me. Keep up the good work!!!

Have a great weekend!!!
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:23 pm 

Glad to be of assistance. :)
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:36 pm 

Well done Acaria icon_biggrin.gif
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:56 pm 

That's looking better.

To be honest, I think my forum clock MOD would look good on your board. icon_biggrin.gif

Check my sig for download and example board.

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group