phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Something fun...

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 pm 
Post subject: Something fun...

I just implemented a flag counter on my largest board. Some of you may already know about this, but I didn't and it seems to be fun. If you go to www.flagcounter.com you can set up (register for) a flag counter. The idea is simple: based on IP addresses and a quick call to this site, your site can generate an image file with flags, country codes, counts, and so on. The configuration is fairly simple. How many flags do you want, and what orientation (rows and columns). For example, on a blog of mine I have it in the side bar so I have 20 flags in two columns. On my board, I have the flags on the bottom so I have 40 flags in 8 columns stretched across the bottom of my board.

I had 15 country flags within 10 minutes of launching last night on my big board. icon_smile.gif This morning I have filled up all 40 slots. It will display the top 40 so as additional visitors come through the flags may change.

Adding it to the template was simple. I just opened overall_footer.tpl and included the code that the site generated for me.

Of course there are loopholes in the process. If someone is using a proxy, they may show up in a different country. If they block cookies it may not work. I don't know. But it's not for 100% accurate tracking, it's just for fun.

Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group