phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

PHP5 and PHPBB2 - whats the official?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: PHP5 and PHPBB2 - whats the official?

Quote:
allow_url_include Off Off

Sounds like a problem to me. That is probably preventing you from including extension.inc, which breaks pretty much all of phpBB. I think you have to turn it on in your php.ini file.

Just basing this off a quick Google search, I don't actually know much about server configuration.
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:02 am 

Salvatos wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like a problem to me. That is probably preventing you from including extension.inc, which breaks pretty much all of phpBB. I think you have to turn it on in your php.ini file.

Just basing this off a quick Google search, I don't actually know much about server configuration.

Salvatos,

Tried that and it didn't work. Same errors as before.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:03 pm 

The problem could be
Quote:
include_path .;C:\php5\pear .;C:\php5\pear

You mentioned in your comments that this path doesn't show up in your directories. I think you'll have to find where it actually is (maybe it's hidden for some reason). I'd probably check Program Files first for stuff related to Apache or whatever server software you're running and try to locate it.

Just to be sure, are you running a Windows server? Unless you're self-hosted, I would ask the webhost support directly for the correct path.
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:31 pm 

Salvatos wrote:
The problem could be
Quote:
include_path .;C:\php5\pear .;C:\php5\pear

You mentioned in your comments that this path doesn't show up in your directories. I think you'll have to find where it actually is (maybe it's hidden for some reason). I'd probably check Program Files first for stuff related to Apache or whatever server software you're running and try to locate it.

Just to be sure, are you running a Windows server? Unless you're self-hosted, I would ask the webhost support directly for the correct path.

Yes, we are running a WIMP stack. The thing about the pear reference, not quite sure why that is there in the first place. We'll check into finding where that mention comes from and remove it as it should not be there. I can't figure out why that might be causing the PHPBB error though.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:09 pm 

Anyone else here?
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:38 pm 

I don´t understand anything about all this stuff you struggling with. icon_wink.gif
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:10 pm 

Same here, no other ideas...
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:16 am 

Salvatos wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like a problem to me.

URL include should be off. Having it on is a security risk.

As for seeing pear in the include paths, that is standard. It doesn't matter that those directories don't actually exist.

Somewhere, PHP is having problems locating the correct include path. It looks like there's a break in the chain. My guess is with FastCGI. Do you actually need it? My impression was that it's really beneficial for shared-web hosting, and little else.

That's my best guess considering that I've never used a Windows server, and I've never programmed for one, either.

JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:29 pm 

Dog Cow wrote:
Salvatos wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like a problem to me.

URL include should be off. Having it on is a security risk.

As for seeing pear in the include paths, that is standard. It doesn't matter that those directories don't actually exist.

Somewhere, PHP is having problems locating the correct include path. It looks like there's a break in the chain. My guess is with FastCGI. Do you actually need it? My impression was that it's really beneficial for shared-web hosting, and little else.

That's my best guess considering that I've never used a Windows server, and I've never programmed for one, either.

Yes, the FASTCGI on a WIMP stack is like night and day between the PHP ISAPI implementation. Even with our current PHP 4.4.9 (which is not thread safe) the difference in request/sec is very significant. Also with FASTCGI, Microsoft has developed their own new OPCODE cache. Some have reported being able to handle thousands of requests a second with the new FASTCGI/IIS/WINCACHE implementation on very old laptops. If that is the case, its pretty impressive.

The reason we need to move to 5 is FastCGI is really not supposed to be used with the thread safe version of PHP. Windows binaries were all complied for PHP 4 as thread safe and they didn't start offering non-thread safe binaries until PHP 5.

We have a couple other PHP/MYSQL based apps running on the box and when we tested with 5.2.17, they all ran fine - so i am thinking that there is something in the phpbb code specifically that is causing this error. Thats why I asked if there were any necessary changes put out by PHPBB back when 5 was released for compatibility with phpbb2.

Thanks

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 am 

Well, we are pleased to say that we figured this mess (yes, it was frustrating mess that shouldn't have been an issue to begin with)

We now have 5.2.17 with WinCache running on our site. I'll do a writeup later on explaining in detail the process so other Windows users who might be in the same situation do not have to deal with it..

The main issue had to do with the use of $phpbb_root_path What really is frustrating about the whole thing is it seems that no one on the phpbb dev team ever though of this sort of thing or if they did they are not sharing. To be honest, it "should" have been taken into consideration and coded accordingly. Not the 1st time we've come across this sort of thing while we've modified the site to remove huge amounts of "bloat" from the original source code of phpbb2. To top it off, it you go looking for any input over there, the arrogance is a bit over the top.

Thanks to everyone here who was kind enough to take the time to offer input. It is greatly appreciated.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:47 am 

I can imagine that losing $phpbb_root_path deals a massive blow to the whole thing... I'll be curious to read what happened exactly.
juanpa
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:57 am 

Hi,

some news about phpbb2 and PHP version.

since php 5.4.9 upgrade phpBB2 do not work correctly... many bugs like post preview failed, username with special caracter can not log in ... ...
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group