phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

[RC] Registration Auth Code - 0.0.3 - RAC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search MOD Development... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Development  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: [RC] Registration Auth Code - 0.0.3 - RAC

This really isn't my business, but maybe adding a captcha or something for Opera users could be a more graceful compromise to accommodate these users.
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54 pm 

Salvatos wrote:
This really isn't my business, but maybe adding a captcha or something for Opera users could be a more graceful compromise to accommodate these users.

No, its ok... The suggestions and feedback (good or bad) are always welcomed and appreciated. We'll take it into consideration although some of this blocking is done long before they even reach the site.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:23 am 

Quote:
After analyzing data for the past three years with the past year holding the most importance we have found that over 90% of visitors with a reported user agent of Opera are related to scraping or other undesired activities which violate our Terms of Service

9 out of 10 Opera users are either scrapers or spammers or out to hack into your server!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure on these figures?
I agree fully re your comments about the level of undesireable activity though.
These days I spend more time on the WHM panel than I do on my site and Mod security shows many hack attempts per day. Several others per day are blocked by the Firewall responding to unusual activity and YES most originate from China but with a smattering from just about everywhere else.

If I was aware of the trials and tribulations of running a server years ago then I would probably never have started with a site. But as it has grown it necessitated having our own server so no real choice.
The thing is that no matter how vigilant you are and no matter what you have to keep them out sooner or later one will get through by some new method. Just have to try to keep up to date with everything and be vigilant.
The last time I had an intrusion on the server I was sat at my machine and the firewall warned that someone had just logged in via SSH. Quick as a flash their IP was barred and passwords changed.
Please no one say anything about secure passwords as mine are like this ]2[+N}l=<:74^*!

Jim
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 am 

Jim_UK wrote:
Quote:
After analyzing data for the past three years with the past year holding the most importance we have found that over 90% of visitors with a reported user agent of Opera are related to scraping or other undesired activities which violate our Terms of Service

9 out of 10 Opera users are either scrapers or spammers or out to hack into your server!!!!!!!!!!
I agree fully re your comments about the level of undesireable activity though.
These days I spend more time on the WHM panel than I do on my site and Mod security shows many hack attempts per day. Several others per day are blocked by the Firewall responding to unusual activity and YES most originate from China but with a smattering from just about everywhere else.

If I was aware of the trials and tribulations of running a server years ago then I would probably never have started with a site. But as it has grown it necessitated having our own server so no real choice.
The thing is that no matter how vigilant you are and no matter what you have to keep them out sooner or later one will get through by some new method. Just have to try to keep up to date with everything and be vigilant.
The last time I had an intrusion on the server I was sat at my machine and the firewall warned that someone had just logged in via SSH. Quick as a flash their IP was barred and passwords changed.
Please no one say anything about secure passwords as mine are like this ]2[+N}l=<:74^*!

Jim

Jim_UK

Absolutely positive on those useragent figures - at least for our site. The amount of legitimate users normally do change their UA or switch browsers and the remaining are so small... you know the good of the many out weight the good of the few (very few too!)

As far as origination and scope - it is massive and growing every day. China probably does have the largest origination but the other areas I mentioned are just about as bad.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:20 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
Quote:

From examination of my own servers logs over the past few years, I can confirm this too.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:42 am 

I Think I will do a survey of my users before I do anything about barring Opera users. icon_wink.gif

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Development  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group