phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

What is the point in phpBB2?
1 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:18 am 
Post subject: Re: What is the point in phpBB2?

Holger wrote:
I am about to convert a forum with 290,000 posts. I am running into a timout everytime I try ...
It is not easy to convert ...

When you get above a certain amount of posts, etc - you should be manually converting or using a self-written script to do the job.

Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 am 

Holger wrote:
I am about to convert a forum with 290,000 posts. I am running into a timout everytime I try ...

You canīt set up your forum locally on your PC with Xampp and then convert it locally, where you better can control time outs? Then transfer the database and files back to the web server.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:28 am 

JLA wrote:
Holger wrote:

When you get above a certain amount of posts, etc - you should be manually converting or using a self-written script to do the job.

why would you say that a self written script would be any better than the one that the development team at phpbb.com created for this purpose? I would certainly trust them to create a good working script more than I would anyone else. I would have no idea how to write one and I doubt that very many phpbb users out there would either.

robert
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:30 am 

Slackervaara wrote:
Holger wrote:

You canīt set up your forum locally on your PC with Xampp and then convert it locally, where you better can control time outs? Then transfer the database and files back to the web server.

I assume that you mean you CAN do all of this, not that you CAN"T do it.

often, this is the best way to make a conversion of this size.

robert
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:11 am 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
JLA wrote:
Holger wrote:

why would you say that a self written script would be any better than the one that the development team at phpbb.com created for this purpose? I would certainly trust them to create a good working script more than I would anyone else. I would have no idea how to write one and I doubt that very many phpbb users out there would either.

robert

Perhaps it is because the scripts written by the phpbb development team were never written (just like phpbb) to efficiently handle the large amount of posts found on very large boards. This is why most if not all very large boards are modified. Try loading 100 million plus posts into a vanilla installation of phpbb2 or 3 million plus photos into a vanilla installation of Smartor's Photo Gallery Mod for phpbb2. In some situations if you want something done right the 1st time it simply might be best to do it yourself.

If the phpbb user doesn't know how to write their own script, there are 100's of $15/hr overseas developers who could knock a script out in a couple hours if not faster.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:34 pm 

Holger wrote:

noooooo!! holger!!
are you serious? icon_rolleyes.gif
are you really converting your sverige machining forum into something new?
why? what happened?
one of the biggest crowded phpbb2 forum I've ever seen in my life... !
a myth might fall down icon_sad.gif
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm 

LOL! No way!
maskinisten.net is running on phpBB2 and will do so in future. Way to many applications surrounding phpBB2 there ...

I was converting a forum for a "customer".
It worked in the end. But I had to try five or six times. During the conversion of the posts I had a 500 Server Error every time.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm 

Holger wrote:
LOL! No way!
maskinisten.net is running on phpBB2 and will do so in future. Way to many applications surrounding phpBB2 there ...

I was converting a forum for a "customer".
It worked in the end. But I had to try five or six times. During the conversion of the posts I had a 500 Server Error every time.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
thanks for the update!!! I can breathe again icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm 

Hahahahahaha! icon_mrgreen.gif
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 am 

Hi everyone. I am new here but figured I would chime in on this topic.

I chose not to upgrade for the reason many others have. Didn't like the phpBB3 ACP, forum was to modded, etc etc.

My main reason for this is, I am an admin at another website and we develop a CMS for phpBB (won't mention the name. No shameless plugs from me). Since they are interested in carrying on with phpBB3 and some of are not, I am here to to talk about bb2 and to help carry it on with many others. I have integrated the phpBB2.0.24 in to the CMS I am redeveloping. So far so good.

Take care and thanks for being here everyone.
wkdwich
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:34 pm 

yup yup and yup..

My forums have been around since 2005 and highly modified. Recently I installed phpbb3 as well as several other current forum applications and none have the flexability of phpbb2 or are just so complicated.

One big reason is updates. My server has FTP shut OFF completely. I only allow SFTP and the updates - which can be done automatic for most, I can not do because they (and wordpress) refuse to allow this funtionality.

The ACP I could get used to but don't care for it, I like the CSS had been moved and consolidated, but the other coding changes made me cringe and also feel like I was from another planet icon_smile.gif

I also could go on & on about why.. but the SFTP thing & the highly MOD'd thing are my biggest reasons.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group