phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Increasing use of smart phones for forums

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 pm 
Post subject: Increasing use of smart phones for forums

More and more people are using smart phones to access the forum. Since phpbb2 was developed before there were smart phones, it's not designed to be phone-friendly and questions keep coming up. I don't use a smart phone for internet (I'm almost always near a computer), so I can't be of much help.

So far I've found recommendations that people use Safari as a web browser because it's more smart-phone-friendly. There have been reports of problems using Blackberries and recommendations to use Opera as the web browser for them. Other people, using other devices, say they work just fine with the forum.

Someone requested an "app" for the forum, but did not specify what he wanted that "app" to do. People seem to think there's an "app" for anything.

A question was asked today about posting photos (as attachments) using an iPhone. I presume he meant that he took a photo with the iPhone, then wants to post it to the forum also using the iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and we tried it. The "Choose File" button was grayed out, so it was not possible to upload an attachment.

Has anyone found ways to make a phpbb2 forum more phone-friendly? Has anyone come up with an "app" for one? Would anyone know how to post a photo from an iPhone?

Thanks.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:59 am 
Post subject: Re: Increasing use of smart phones for forums

the only thing really needed is a style that is designed to work in the smaller screens.

if there is some way to detect the browser as one in a smart phone and then select that phone style then that should be all that is needed.

as far as attachments, as long as you have the attachment MOD installed, it shouldn't matter where you are trying to upload it.

maybe it is because the image is not actually stored in a folder or something and that is why the attachment MOD can not find it.

I have no clue how that works.

robert
RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:29 am 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
the only thing really needed is a style that is designed to work in the smaller screens.

Wow, I completely forgot that I have such a board style available. Thanks for reminding me!

A board member who works for Cricket created and installed it over 2 years ago. Since I didn't create or install it, I forgot he'd done that.

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
as far as attachments, as long as you have the attachment MOD installed, it shouldn't matter where you are trying to upload it.

maybe it is because the image is not actually stored in a folder or something and that is why the attachment MOD can not find it.

I have no clue how that works.

robert

That seems to be the consensus among those whom I've asked about this. Thanks again.
Citrix
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm 

there is a phpbb2 Mod to install a template designed for phones, and other hand held devices. I installed it 4 years ago on my forum. I think the template is called subSilver_mobile.
I'll post the mod link if can find it.
RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:29 pm 

Citrix wrote:
there is a phpbb2 Mod to install a template designed for phones, and other hand held devices. I installed it 4 years ago on my forum. I think the template is called subSilver_mobile.
I'll post the mod link if can find it.

Yes, that's the one I have. I thought that guy had created it. I guess not.
Citrix
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 pm 

it works pretty good. I have no problem with it since installation. I don't Mod it either.. Just the original codes.
b0blee
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:44 am 

I tried it and it didn't work with my iPod Touch. I think that the browser detection script didn't see it.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group