phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

[solved] Problem with Umlauts

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Maz
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm 
Post subject: [solved] Problem with Umlauts

Since our hoster did an upgrade we have strange problems on our phpbb2 2.0.23 board.

Current configuration is running on:
Apache version 2.2.22
PHP version 5.4.6
MySQL version 5.5.24-cll

The board is in german and running german language files, hoster is in the US.

Following problems have evolved:
1. Users cannot register usernames containing certain special characters (primarily umlauts like ",,") both in upper and lower case.
2. When using the preview function before posting nothing is displayed if the text contains such characters. Strangely enough previewing a Private Message works normally.
3. Seaching for posts containing those characters works normally, however seaching for users with such characters in their usernames results in the script to stop (nothing happens at all the text in the search field just gets deleted, page is reloaded).
4. Sending private messages to such users doesn't work

The rest of the board works normally. There are absoluteley no problems when posting those characters or using them in PMs and posts and PMs are also displayed normally.

We've already played around with the character encoding in the lang_main file (changed it from Iso-1 to utf-8) and also changed the coallition in the database to utf.
That hasn't had any real effect except that when using utf-8 in the lang file the search for usernames comes up with a "nothing found" message (even if there are users with that name) instead of doing nothing.

Has someone here got an idea what's going wrong and what could be done about it?

Thanks in advance for your help

edit: Problem solved by a friend of if mine with php/sql knowledge. Basically we had to edit a couple of phpbb2 functions and database stuff to be compatible with utf-8 because oft the way php 5.4.6 handles non-utf-8-stuff.
StarWolf3000
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:53 am 
Post subject: Re: [solved] Problem with Umlauts

It would be nice to share the changes in the files, as I'm also expecting the UTF-8 problem when I run my Apache 2.2 with PHP 5.3 (5.2 runs fine with correct encoding).

Since PHP 5.3, the PHP Group changed the encoding of MySQL connections with the forcation of the mysqlnd (MySQL Native Driver) in Windows' Builds, not getting an option to select the libmysql instead but on build time, which supports UTF-8 correctly. Even if I copy the libmysql.dll from the MySQL/bin directory into my system32 or 5.3 installation path, ext/mysql and ext/mysqli will use the mysqlnd, because the are linked against the mysqlnd.

I myself tested some changes in the language files ($lang['encoding'] = 'utf-8') and the corresponding changes in the page_header.php/page_header_admin.php, which only worked on PHP 5.2, and my database and tables are already using the collation of utf8_unicode_ci (not utf8_general_ci) with charset utf-8. The database server connection uses UTF-8 by default (MySQL 5.1.30-community).
dondino
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 am 

Maz wrote:
edit: Problem solved by a friend of if mine with php/sql knowledge. Basically we had to edit a couple of phpbb2 functions and database stuff to be compatible with utf-8 because oft the way php 5.4.6 handles non-utf-8-stuff.
Please Maz can you ask your friend if he can make a mod out of this, or tell us what to modify in our phpbb core files in order to solve things?
I have the same problem since I upgraded to PHP, please share the solution if you want/feel icon_rolleyes.gif its much appreciated
Maz
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am 

Hi there,

I'll give him the link to this board and if he finds the time he can explain the changes to you...probably quite a lot.
I haven't looked at the files myself so I can't help you there directly, sorry.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group