phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Attachment thumbs on viewforum

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
hoimyr
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: Attachment thumbs on viewforum

drathbun: Nice, let me know if i can assist you in any way.

JLA: Here is the premodified files. Dont have it as an mod yet. It seems to be working here on a new board. Have to test more tomorrow.
You must change the paths inside includes/functions_post.php
Also added a textfile with the two sql addons. All included in the zip.

edit: seems that i cant attach files here?
You got e-mail.
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am 

No problem on the HJ.... icon_biggrin.gif

Hoimyr - I'll check the email.

Regarding the comment about splitting attachment files into different folders to keep for "exceeding" reasonable limits. Our version of Smartor's Photo Galleries has over 3.3 million photos and there is no problem with this. Have you all been experiencing issues with smaller amounts of files?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:36 am 

hoimyr wrote:
Im currently fishing it out... icon_smile.gif

You have ALOT of users JLA. How does your phpBB handle all the attachments? Do you have a didicated server?
I want to split my attachments to multiple servers. Thats my next big project..

The attachments are handled with no real issue. I think we might have rewritten some of the code a bit in a few places to address some projected scaling issues that we felt might be an issue at some future point. Other than than and perhaps a few indexing DB changes, everything works as is with no issues that we can currently see. Yes, we run with a dedicated infrastructure.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 am 

Gah, I forgot that the attachments were broken with the update to the posting screen. My apologies, I will get back to fix that.

Regarding the large list of files... it's not just to make me feel better, although that is a side benefit. icon_smile.gif For whatever reason, perhaps it's a configuration issue with my server, or my ftp program, but once a directory includes more than a couple thousand files I can no longer run a download of the complete folder. It downloads the first XX files (don't remember what XX is at this point) and stops. So having multiple directories for attachments would address that. I've never had time to fully research why the download fails.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 pm 

drathbun: no prob icon_wink.gif I think he got the mail. I will post it as a mod-file here when its done.

JLA wrote:
Our version of Smartor's Photo Galleries has over 3.3 million photos and there is no problem with this.

Wow, that is good news. No no speed problems yet. But im also thinking for the future.
Sounds like you have done a great job over there. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the infos!
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm 

Well today decided to finally crank this out. Just decided to write the function from scratch drawing some upon the album thumbnail functionality we rewrote for the Smartor album. Overall it is working alright. No where near as difficult as we 1st figured it might be.

1 new file and a couple of minor changes to viewforum and the template. We'll be tweaking the performance a bit but seems to work well.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm 

Good work icon_smile.gif yes if you know how to its easy ,) I tried to take a look but i only get "error number 0859" on your site.
We really should add a section here and add our tweaks for optimizing speed for large boards and galleries. Im shure people here has made alot of handy tweaks and cool stuff that dont exist on phpbbhacks and other sites.
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm 

Sorry about that. Same reason as previously discussed. In the meantime - here is a screenshot

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.16 KB
 Viewed:  1435 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm 

Very interesting, a screenshot of some code on a board I am not allowed to access. icon_confused.gif
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:08 pm 

Well - finally that is over. We were able to apply this to topic search results. Now at the topics results page - all topics that have image attachments now appear with a thumbnail. Makes search a bit more useful and interesting.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group