phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

revamping the account creation process

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:53 pm 
Post subject: revamping the account creation process

I'd like to find a mod or some way to revamp the way accounts are created.

currently my forum is set so users create an account, then I must approve it through my email.

problem is even if I don't approve the account, they still are capable of editing/making their profiles which may contain links to malicious sites and what not.

I'm looking for a way to prevent users from editing or making their profiles UNTIL i've approved the account. Currently I'm getting overloaded with bots and am annoyed with the links they're putting up.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

btw love this site

edit: http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/viewtopic.php?p=6315 looking at this one but I'm not sure if thats enough, like I say I'd mainly like to prevent them from doing ANYTHING (editing profiles?) until I've approved them or have as system that can easily eliminate 90% of the bots... but honestly I dont mind manually approving everyone since I'm only working with a small community
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm 
Post subject: Re: revamping the account creation process

Just insert a couple lines of code that will check phpbb users for an approval marker before allowing editing in profile.php
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:59 pm 

it has been a while since I worked with phpbb2 but I don't think a prospective user can even access their profile until the account has been approved.

robert
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:27 am 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
it has been a while since I worked with phpbb2 but I don't think a prospective user can even access their profile until the account has been approved.

robert

You may be right. But in case the OP had a modified setup - decided to answer as it was presented.

Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 am 

robert

Actually they can and that's the problem.

Quote:
JLA
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013 16:30 Post subject: Re: revamping the account creation process
Just insert a couple lines of code that will check phpbb users for an approval marker before allowing editing in profile.php

I'm not much of a coder, I was looking into something like reCaptcha right now but what you're suggesting sounds good to me.

How do I access the raw code to edit it, assuming the language is php I'll have to do a little research but I think I could manage if I can figure out where to insert these few lines of code!

thanks

edit: course my cheapass using Ipage for my hosting and theres no SSH command prompt for me to install reCaptcha. looking for a way around that or I must figure out where I can insert code as suggested by JLA

happy holidays people
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:27 pm 

Dice wrote:

robert

Actually they can and that's the problem.

Quote:
JLA
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013 16:30 Post subject: Re: revamping the account creation process

I'm not much of a coder, I was looking into something like reCaptcha right now but what you're suggesting sounds good to me.

How do I access the raw code to edit it, assuming the language is php I'll have to do a little research but I think I could manage if I can figure out where to insert these few lines of code!

thanks

edit: course my cheapass using Ipage for my hosting and theres no SSH command prompt for me to install reCaptcha. looking for a way around that or I must figure out where I can insert code as suggested by JLA

happy holidays people

You can start in includes/usercp_register.php

Hope this helps

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:40 am 

sorry but this is not possible unless you have some strange setup.

if you have registration set to user or admin, then the regsistrant can not log in until either he or you have approved and activated the account. a person can not view their profile until they have logged in.

do you see the problem ?

you can't log in if you are not approved and activated, you can see your profile if you are not logged in.......

robert
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 pm 

sorry but this is not possible unless you have some strange setup.

if you have registration set to user or admin, then the regsistrant can not log in until either he or you have approved and activated the account. a person can not view their profile until they have logged in.

do you see the problem ?

you can't log in if you are not approved and activated, you can see your profile if you are not logged in.......

robert

Maybe a previously installed mod is causing his reported behavior?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:28 pm 

must be something like that.

robert
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group