phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Sub Forums

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:36 am 
Post subject: Sub Forums

I would like a Subforums mod that doesn't require Extreme Styles mod to be installed. That just seams a bit sloppy to me..
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 am 
Post subject: Re: Sub Forums

Extreme Styles is one of the easiest MODs to be installed and seems to do a pretty good job when it comes to speeding up a bit the displaying of pages. It also allows for php to be used in .tpl files. What's wrong with it for you?

As far as I know Subforum MODs tend to be incompatible with other interesting MODs so I never looked into them. That's why I can't really answer your question.

Greetings.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:35 am 

There is Pseudo Subforums that doesn't need eXtrem Styles.

To my knowledge there is 4 MODs to make subforums:
  • Simple Subforums (1 level of subforums)
  • Pseudo Subforums (1 level of subforums)
  • Subforums Plus (no limit)
  • CH (no limit)

About Simple Subforums, you can find many addon to make it compatible with others MODs.

Anyway XS is a very good MOD. It compiles and executes files much faster, has cache system that speeds up templates many times, allowes to use php in templates and a lot of other features to style designers.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:41 am 

I have simple subforums on a board and its not that I don't like it, butI want to install it on multi-forums and I don't think the extreme styles will be compatible.

I want to try to keep mods simple and independent if possible.

I do like the subforum images that simple subforums uses though.

Which one do you guys think would be best for this application?

Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:48 am 

So install Pseudo Subforums.
But as soon as you install subforums you will have incompatibility with others MODs.
I have never seen problems with extreme styles.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:52 am 

Is there a list of mods that don't work with subforums so I know what to use and what not to use with it?

I was looking at subforums plus. It looks just like simple subforums. Very nice.
I will look for Pseudo Subforums now. icon_biggrin.gif

Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:40 am 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Is there a list of mods that don't work with subforums so I know what to use and what not to use with it?

Don't worry, there is still an issue with addon or similar.

Subforums plus is based on CH, then you will have more incompatibility than using pseudo or simple subforums.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:38 am 

What is the difference between Pseudo Subforums and Subforums plus?

I mean function wise.

I see that Pseudo Subforums does not use the altered folder_big.gif which I kind of like. But I can see that being a pain having to update every template with that though.. But other then that, why does Pseudo have less compatibility issues with mods?

Or should I ask it this way, why does Subforums Plus have more compatibility issues with mods?

Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:02 am 

Subforums Plus have less compatibility with MOD because it is based on CH MOD (which rewrite a big part of the phpBB2 core).

Pseudo Subforums - 1 level subforum and it's only offer subforum
Subforums plus - infinite number, this MOD is based on CH core much more powerful

I find that good resume on phpbb.com :
bonelifer wrote:
CH has a lot of extra OPTIONS not related to Sub-Forums. Also it changes so much that it makes many mods nearly/totally impossible to make compatible with it.

Simple SubForums requires eXtremeStyles and doesn't have MULT-level Sub-Forums.

SF Plus doesn't require eXtremeStyles and doesn't break the functionality of most index/viewforum mods. Also it's more likely that you'll be able to make semi-incompatible mods work much easier with this one.

You can easily had a folder_link with Pseudo SF
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:11 pm 

Thank Ram,

Although I like the icons with Subforums Plus and Simple Subforums the trade off as I see it, is that it's just about the only mod you can use without re writing every mod you put in. icon_sad.gif

Since I really don't have the time for that, it looks like I'll be using Pseudo Subforums as per your suggestion. icon_smile.gif

It seams a shame that phpbb.com didn't apply Subforums plus back in 2006 to their next update, because by now most mods would have been updated..

I will start another board separate from the multiboards later when I have more time, and see if I can get some of the more popular mods working with Subforums plus.

But for now I will take the less time consuming route.

Thanks for your help Ram. icon_biggrin.gif

Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 pm 

No problem. icon_wink.gif
To simplify the choice, look at what you really need in installing a SF MOD.
Ptirhiik
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:58 pm 

er... though I wrote the basis of subforum plus too, it is not based on the CH system, eg the auths system remains the phpBB core one, where it is entirely replaced with CH, along other core modifications (template parser, user, administration, etc.). Actually, I didn't find any reason for the "simple subforum" mod to have a single level limitation and the need to install eXtreme Style (though it is a real good mod), and that was really bugging me, especially the way the forum ordering is settled in this mod. As I needed a real - eg solid - alternative to CH to which direct people that didn't want such a large mod CH is, I eventually wrote one and gave it to other moders to make it live.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:14 pm 

@Ptirhiik,

Is there a list of mods that work with out issue in Subforums Plus?

I really like that mod... I just don't want to be banging my head on the keyboard for months trying to get it to work with the mods I want to run.

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:28 am 

Simple Subforums is good. icon_wink.gif Also, keep in mind that XS is very easy to install, you just have to copy some files, change CHMOD to cache and I think that should be it. icon_wink.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:00 pm 

Unfortunately you can not do an independent install of Simple Subforums. It looks like Subforums Plus looks the same from a user perspective as Simple Subforums but has more functionality.

My major issue is mod compatibility. I have been researching all these options and it still looks like Subforums Plus is the best subforum mod. But it looks to me like Pseudo Subforums may have less compatibility issues with other mods. I am not sure yet why that is but the trade off is only one level of subforums.

There is also one called Easy Subforums that are not real subforums I guess. I'll have to look into this one also.

The thing I worry about the most is that I will choose the wrong one and start building on it just to find that its an impossible task and I cant find enough support to get the job done properly.

I really like Subforum Plus though.. not only because of it's independent install but also because it seams to work as a subforum should with infinite levels of subforums.

But Ram was saying that Subforums Plus is not very mod compatible. That worries me a bit because I can't seam to contact the Mod author for support with mod installation. This means I will have to learn the mods from scratch. This may take to much time.

I think Subforum Plus is the right way to do it... but is it doable for me within say 30 days to have 30 mods installed into it? One per day?

Without compatibility issues I would say I could get 30 mods done in 2 days. Will this turn 30 mods into 3 months or longer?

Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 4 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group