phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

URGENT HELP NEEDED: Discussion board not working with PHP5.6

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 am 
Post subject: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Discussion board not working with PHP5.6

Dear all!

I am running a Norwegian discussion board which is a modified version of phpBB 2. It has been working fine for a long time, but now my service provider is updating from PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.6 and the forum is not working! I have the option to reset to PHP 5.3 for just two more weeks until they remove it completely.

Is it possible to make my board work with 5.6 or will it face a certain death? The big problem is also that I can't seem to be able to migrate the board to a new version (phpBB 3) without encountering problems.

The board is running on version 2.0.22 with Ptirhiik CH mod version 2.1.6g..

All help very appreciated!!
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:28 am 
Post subject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Discussion board not working with PH

A search on phpbb.com revealed someone else seeking help with that very same problem. Whilst support for phpBB2 ended quite some time ago there was a solution by KevC that worked in getting the none functioning Ver 2 board with CH converted to phpBB3
Take a read of this https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2254781

Jim

Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 pm 

Thanks for the reply Jim..

I am trying to solve this problem, but I am not as good with this as I once was.. icon_sad.gif

But keeping the board as is is impossible with a newer version of PHP on the server? Is that correct?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:25 pm 

There is a very good chance that someone on here may be able to help but sadly not I.
The probable reason is some code in your install that is no longer recognised by the later version of PHP.
This has happened to me on a couple of occasions with installed mods and it was possible to make some small changes to the code to save them.
What error messages do you get? Any that you do get post them into this topic to assist someone to help.
On those simple ones of mine I just posted the error message which related to deprecated code into Google, found similar instances and applied changes that others had found, first making backups of my files.
I wish I could be of more help to you.

Jim

Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:46 pm 

Hi Jim..

I don't seem to be getting any errors at all, just a white screen.. Have tried to turn on PHP error messages, but nothing is showing.. icon_sad.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:10 pm 

One possibility you could consider is to move your board to a host that is using an older version of PHP.
That might seem to be a last resort but it will get you out of this problem for now and give you some time to seek a solution for when it happens again.

Jim

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:05 pm 

I have been doing some digging and found this:-
The function mysql-connect is deprecated in PHP 5.6
The solution was to replace mysql with mysqli
Try doing that in the file config.php - if it works then fine. If not change it back to what it was.

Another item I found related to problems with the mysql databse due to PHP5.6 checking for a valid SSL Certificate.
The solution in that persons case was to replace "localhost" with the domain name.
Once again if the first method does not work then try this that has worked for some (not with phpBB2) and if it does not work then revert to "localhost"

Easy things to try and good luck.

Jim

Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 am 

Thanks Jim!

I am trying different solutions here, so will surely give yours a try if my first attempt fails here icon_biggrin.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:08 am 

Very important that if you do find a working solution is to post it on here so that anyone else with the same problem can learn from your experiences.

Jim

Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:29 am 

But, just a question:

I understand that many have succeded in getting phpBB2 to work with new versions of PHP? PHP 5.6? Is that correct or am I wrong?

Is the CH-moded version very different concerning this? Or is it fully possible to make it work with PHP 5.6 as well?

Thanks for all help!
Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:58 am 

Anyone able to help here? I am a bit desperate to make this work as my discussion board currently is facing death-row in just a few weeks.. icon_cry.gif icon_neutral.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:02 pm 

Don't forget that there is a lifeline - just move it to another host that is using an earlier version of PHP as that will give you a bit of breathing space.
Another possibility of course is to set it up on a spare PC using something like XAMP. Not something I would do myself as the security involved is not something to be taken lightly.

Jim

dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:17 pm 

I donīt know anything about Categories Hierarchy so I canīt help you out with that.

I recommend the same as Jim does, move to another hosting provider.

Or follow the tips in the topic linked to earlier that will enable you to upgrade to phpBB3.

The other option is to keep strugglņing to remove all php errors, which is no easy task if you're not familiar with how to do that.

Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 pm 

Thanks for the reply guys..

But isn't anyone running phpBB 2 on servers with new versions of PHP? Is it actually that difficult to do/fix?

Is there any service providers that offers hosting with PHP 5.3 and will continue to do so?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:04 pm 

Ph34r wrote:
Is there any service providers that offers hosting with PHP 5.3 and will continue to do so?

Things move on so the answer must be very doubtful. What a shame that the PHP developers have not made it backwards compatible in the same way that MS have made "Word" so.
I am on PHP5.2.17 at the moment and of course unsure of the future but I am on a dedicated server so guess I could ask the hosts not to update PHP
What you are not sure of is whether it is something in phpBB2 plain install or something in CH that is causing the problem. I also would like to know if anyone is running phpBB2 on the version of PHP that is causing you the problems. If I get a chance later I will see if XAMP which I have on my PC is running on that version and if my install on the server will run on it.

Jim

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 3 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group