phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

URGENT HELP NEEDED: Discussion board not working with PHP5.6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:09 pm 
Post subject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED: Discussion board not working with PH

I'm running on 5.4 and had to make some changes when I upgraded from php 5.2. Iplan to stay on 5.4 as long as possible, because I donīt feel like fixing more things and I know I will run into new incompatability problems when I upgrade PHP.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:38 pm 

I just tried it and phpbb2 will not run on php5.6 at all. I tried the convertor that someone came up with to update phpbb2 to run on php5.4+ and it doesn't seem to work either.

I have been working on this for the poster and have run completely out of ideas on how to get it working for him.

one strange thing is that he has phpbb2 running on 5.3 with seemingly no problems. he also manged to install phpbb 3.1 with no problems. however,
when I installed phpbb 3.0 on the server it went fine but there was no styling. it is not recognizing the css at all and I can figure out why that is.

I have tried using the convertor for phpbb2 with ch and attachments but that does not manage to convert all the topics/posts and not very many of the attachments.

I am at a loss to help with this situation.

robert
Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:31 am 

dogs and things wrote:
I'm running on 5.4 and had to make some changes when I upgraded from php 5.2. Iplan to stay on 5.4 as long as possible, because I donīt feel like fixing more things and I know I will run into new incompatability problems when I upgrade PHP.

I have the possibility to run 5.4, 5.5 or 5.6 on my server. They will VERY soon remove the possibility to run 5.3..

How much work is it to make it work with 5.4? Are we talking minutes, hours og days to fix it?

Is it likely that it is the same problems with phpBB2 as with the modified version (CH) that I am running, or is it different problems?

Thanks for all help guys!
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:44 am 

I don't know what extra problems come with CH, I never used it.

To make your board compatible with PHP 5.4 should not be too hard.

Read the Migration guide.

Read this post about the problem with htmlspecialchars.

Use
Code:
   ini_set('display_startup_errors',1);
   ini_set('display_errors',1);
at the start of /includes/page_header.php to see possible error messages and check your error_logs while working on it.
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:17 am 

I am a real n00b when it comes to this, so if anyone care to help, plese let me know!

Is it correct that even if you get the board to work with PHP 5.4, it will probably not work with PHP 5.5 or 5.6 without more modifications? Or?
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:43 pm 

I got "blank pages" here until I removed a call by reference in the registration page. That killed new user registrations for a while. Are all of your pages returning blank... even viewtopic and viewforum and index? Or just certain pages?
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:54 am 

My host automatically updated to PHP 5.6 a while ago.

The errors I noticed then was:

- First page was working, but no forums, sub-forums was working, just returning blank pages.
- Norwegian letters as æ,ø,å was not showing correctly.

I set the PHP version back to 5.3 in my control panel and everything worked again. PHP 5.4 returned mostly the same errors as 5.6.

I will try (now) to set the version to 5.4 and make a closer examination to see if I can see what pages are working or not.

The host will support 5.4 at least for a good while, but PHP 5.3 will be removed shortly!
Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:52 am 

OK..

I've set the PHP version to 5.4 and here is a list of what I've found to be working and what is not working:

WORKING:
- Front page with all forums listed is working
- Entering forums, sub-forums and sub-sub-forums are working
- Listing posts is working
- Entering your profile (usercp.php) is working
- Search, FAQ, Usergroups, Memberlist is working
- User registration is working
- Administration panel seems to be working fine

NOT WORKING (RETURNING BLANK PAGES)
- Entering a thread/post is not working. All threads will just show a blank page
- PM is not working (privmsg.php?folder=inbox)
- Looking a user profiles is not working (profile.php?mode=viewprofile)
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:15 am 

Gettin' closer.

Seems to me like you have to fix the htmlspecialchars issue, as outlined in this post.

The first part of that post explains the first edit you need to make at the end of common.php.

The second part explains that you need to go through all of your board's php files and replace every instance of htmlspecialchars with htmlspecialchars_wrapped. Use the find and replace function of a good code-editor for this job.

Remember to make backups of your files before making any changes.

Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:53 am 

Is it possible to send PM's on this forum? Or could you please see the PM I tried to send you over at phpBB dogs and things..

Thanks!
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:09 am 

I only try to help here, in public.

Keep calm, donīt panic, try to learn doing things by yourselves.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:33 am 

If anybody comes up with a fix for the problems of PHP4 and/or PHP5 can they possibly post the required edits that they find are needed so that when we are finally forced to move to those versions we might continue to run our phpBB2 boards.
I don't think that now at my age (approaching 68) I could go through the phpBB2 to phpBB3 conversion as I have so much in the way of add ons that would be lost.

Jim

Ph34r
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:39 am 

I would really appreciate if someone more capable than my self could try to help me out here. I have gotten great help so far from you guys, but I really don't know how to fix this.. I'm guessing some (a lot of) you guys at this forum have been able to make phpBB2 work with newer versions of PHP? Or is everyone using old PHP-versions?

I installed the phpBB2 board and installed the CH mod my self, but it is 7-8 years ago, and I'm not up to date on any of this. Don't even know what editor I would use, and have no idea how to be able to fix the files if I found one.

As I am running out of time as well, I kindly ask anyone who could help me with this to let me know icon_neutral.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm 

I have set XAMPP up on my laptop and copied over my complete site to it(near 3GB of files) plus restore a 1/2GB plus database so will start testing to see what works and what fails on the version of PHP that comes pre-installed in XAMPP. That is PHP5.4.22 on the version I have but maybe a later version with it now as it is a few months since I downloaded it.
I have made a start and so far the only thing that is not working is the "Classified Ads" mod but as it is seldom made use of just simply removing the two PHP files from phpBB2/Admin directory restored the Admin Control Panel navigation.
If I find anything throwing up errors I will post as such. I do not have Categories Hierarchy installed.

Jim

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:41 am 

Ok I have tested all my standard functions of phpBB2 and my add ons with PHP 5.4.22 and can report that:-
The basic phpBB2 install works without any problems that I could find. Every part of the Admin CP works flawlessly with not a single error showing, posting, PM's and emails work just fine as do attachments.

I guess what we are really interested in is the basic board but here are some of my add ons that I have and tests on them.
Album Mod - failed (just a blank screen)
Classified Ads Mod - failed with just a blank screen
Flashchat Mod - failed with first a blank black screen followed by a blank screen

Calendar Mod - working
Links Mod -working
Sudoku Mod - working
Upload Picture Mod - working

If there are any functions in the basic phpBB2 that you think I might have missed testing then let me know and I will go back to it and check.

Jim

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 3 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group