phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Find user(s) from IP address

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:26 pm 
Post subject: Find user(s) from IP address

Is there a way to find a user or users from an IP address?

Thanks.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:52 am 
Post subject: Re: Find user(s) from IP address

depends on what you mean by "find a user".

IF you mean to find out who they are, where they live or even where they posted from then the answer is going to be "no" 99% of the time.

please explain exactly what you are wanting to accomplish as the end goal, not how you think it could be done etc.

robert
RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:27 pm 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
depends on what you mean by "find a user".

IF you mean to find out who they are, where they live or even where they posted from then the answer is going to be "no" 99% of the time.

please explain exactly what you are wanting to accomplish as the end goal, not how you think it could be done etc.

robert

It would be the opposite of the IP button on a post which tells you the IP address under which the message was posted, along with other IPs by that user and other users posting from that IP. What I'd like to do is to start with an IP address and find out what, if any, users have posted under it. Since that information appears to be stored in the database, it seems possible.

So my question is: Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:00 am 

It would be the opposite of the IP button on a post which tells you the IP address under which the message was posted, along with other IPs by that user and other users posting from that IP. What I'd like to do is to start with an IP address and find out what, if any, users have posted under it. Since that information appears to be stored in the database, it seems possible.

icon_question.gif
Is that not the same.

Jim

RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 am 

Jim_UK wrote:

icon_question.gif
Is that not the same.

Jim

How can I make this clearer? Start with the IP address and find users who have posted under it, not start with the post. If I had the post, I wouldn't need to find the user, obviously.

Here's the situation: It was recently discovered that a banned user had several accounts registered and there may be more. I have some IPs extracted from e-mails and would like to find out if any forum users have posted under any of those IPs. Understand?

In phpbb3, in the admin area under "Manage users", there's "Find a member" which provides a number or search criteria including "Posted from IP/domain:". An IP can be plugged in there and users found who have posted under it. Is there a way to do this in phpbb2 or such a mod?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:34 pm 

the problem with that approach is the same as with anything to do with IP addresses . they change all the time.

say you pick an IP address and do the search. what you will most likely come up with is several different people having posted from that IP.

not same people with different accounts but different people completely.

the IP you have today is likely to not be the one you have tomorrow. etc. etc.

and somebody else may be posting today using the IP that you posted from yesterday.

IPs are just not a good criteria to base anything on.

you could certainly search the database for all users posting from a given IP address but I don't know the exact query to use for that.

robert
RefugeeBob
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:29 pm 

It's clear I am not going to get an answer to my question. I give up.

Please delete this topic.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:36 am 

did you not read any of the replies?

in the database, look for the table phpbb_posts

in that table look for poster_ip

now, construct a query that says to find all occurances of your relevant poster's IP address in that table in the poster_ip column.

that should give you what you asked for.

however, like I said, it won't give you what you want because the same IP could be listed for many different members when they made a post.

luck,
robert
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group