phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Auto-asign all members with at least 1 post to a group

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:16 pm 
Post subject: Auto-asign all members with at least 1 post to a group

Hy!

A friend of mine has a board and she has about 10 thounsand users. The SMTP sais there are too many recipients, so she can not send mass emails. How can she asign all members with at least 1 post to a usergroup? icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:42 am 
Post subject: Re: Auto-asign all members with at least 1 post to a group

At 10,000 members, it is probably going to require far more than ONE user group. A better solution would be to extract the user email addresses into a form that can be used by another program for sending emails. The Starfoxtj Tool Kit to fix a lot of Admin-related problems includes such a tool, if she's using MySQL for the database.

Generally speaking, most hosts will not accept more than 1000 recipients per email. Many will restrict it far more - I have a limit of 100 on my email servers, because no one should be sending more than that (we do not use the bulk email features of phpBB).

I know this does not answer your question directly, but it does provide an option...
Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:27 am 

Try Auto Group MOD
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:24 am 

This MOD seems to have exaclty what she needs. Thanks. icon_wink.gif

drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:55 pm 

For what it's worth, auto-group MODs are generally extremely bad for your board in terms of performance. If she has a board that large, she should be looking at other alternatives. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:46 pm 

Can you please point out the alternatives you are thinking of? icon_smile.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:05 pm 

Espicom has already done that in my opinion.
Use her own email client and the Admin toolkit to export the users and email addresses.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:32 pm 

You mean client like Gmail or Yahoo? I think they also have limitations, but that not the main issue. The problem is that everyone will see everyone else's email adress, wich isn't nice. icon_sad.gif

espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:10 pm 

First, forgive me if this sounds a bit insensitive to some, but...

GMAIL and YAHOO are well advertised, but poor, substitutes for a proper email system. We're talking solutions that require a real email client, based upon your computer, rather than web-based email. Anyone who needs to send more than a few emails per day (and your friend is talking thousands at one time) needs to have an old-fashioned email address, backed by an internet provider, and accessed using the traditional tools of SMTP, and IMAP/POP. Face it - both were invented by Americans to make money, not to be "the best"... icon_wink.gif

The solution suggested of using Starfoxtj's toolkit will generate a list that can be used by programs like Outlook and others to "mail merge" an email to everyone on the list. It will handle things like bad email addresses on the list (quite a common problem, which cannot be dealt with by phpBB's email handler), and queuing up hundreds of addresses in ways that the service provider will find acceptable.

Both GMAIL and YAHOO will limit the sending to the point that a 10,000 subscriber list will have to be spread out over hours, or even days, to stay within their service agreement.

Your friend should contact the host and ask what their restrictions are. Quite often, as part of a hosting agreement, an email address with SMTP/POP/IMAP privileges will be included, and it can be used as you see fit. It will have restrictions, but they are usually far less than those imposed when accessed as part of web programming (that is, through phpBB's email functions).
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group