phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Mobile version of forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:06 am 
Post subject: Re: Mobile version of forum

dondino wrote:
hey Holger,
have u found a good mod to accomplish what u wanted?

We are going to build our own app - but the programmer is in India for some weeks, so I have to wait.
deanhills
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:08 am 

Sorry for digging up this thread, but it came up in my search links for finding a way to make a phpBB 2.0 site mobile friendly.

I've discovered though that somehow browsers do play a role, so was wondering whether others had the same experience. Firefox for example is much more intuitive these days on picking up whether the browser is being used for a handheld device.

Anyway, if someone could design a mobile friendly style for phpbb 2.0, that would be awesome.

PS: I started playing with phpB 2.0 a few days ago, and can't believe how easy and lightning fast it is. I downloaded the 2.0.23 from phpbbhacks.com, and I don't know whether that is a special updated version, but I could use it immediately with my php5.4 and up to date mySQL. Can't believe the script was only 680 kb. Great experience. Also love the minimalist design of the Admin Panel versus the much more complicated and involved 3.1 Admin Panel.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:51 pm 

I've started playing with this in my spare time, but it's going to be a pretty involved process to make everything responsive, and there are limitations if you want it to be a style only (.tpl and .css files only) and not a full MOD (which I frankly wouldn't want to get into anyway). Namely, if you want to be universally compatible regarding MODs, languages and so on:
- No added or edited text directly in template files;
- No new text strings in the /language library;
- No creation of new variables for use in the template (such as new text strings or a different presentation of data for things that are grouped into one variable, like some parts of the Who's Online section or the "last post" date/time and user);
- No new arrays or loops for template switches like user logged in/out;
- Probably more to find out.

As a result, you can't really present information dramatically differently on mobile since you can't change the existing wording or separate data that is passed to the template in a block. Other than that, I wouldn't say it's unduly difficult if you know your way around CSS (and I'm no expert), but it's definitely time-consuming as you have to restructure everything, create new CSS classes and test at various resolutions (and I haven't even checked for browser compatibility yet).

You can see my current draft in attachments. It still has issues, but I've mostly got everything on the index where I want it and now need to test it, fix it and streamline it before I get to other pages. I stripped it down a good deal and collected every navigation and action link into a large mobile-like menu that you can toggle with the "hamburger" icon at small resolutions. Said menu still needs to be improved in terms of functionality and scrolling, and ideally I should provide a no-javascript fallback. The desktop view also looks stripped down because I didn't want to make two full layouts and hide one through CSS - I don't know if it is, but it feels like bad practice. I took the opportunity to move some options and info to a sidebar so the forum view doesn't look as incredibly wide on large screens, and limited content width to 1500 pixels (completely arbitrary number for now). The added benefit IMO is that since I hardly ever notice those small links scattered around the content area, collecting them in a sidebar makes them more likely to be seen and used.

I only have mobile and not-mobile skins for now, but one could also have a medium skin and wide skin to really tailor the layout to the user. IIRC Wikia uses three slightly different skins just for desktop, for instance (and they render a completely different page for mobile, which annoys me). I'm also focusing on layout rather than appearance, as you can surely tell icon_smile.gif

responsive on mobile (menu) 1.png
 Description:
Responsive draft mobile menu
 Filesize:  22.6 KB
 Viewed:  1240 Time(s)

responsive on mobile (menu) 1.png

responsive on mobile 1.png
 Description:
Responsive draft viewed at 320 pixels
 Filesize:  46.85 KB
 Viewed:  1248 Time(s)

responsive on mobile 1.png

responsive on desktop 1.png
 Description:
Responsive draft viewed at 523 pixels
 Filesize:  77.32 KB
 Viewed:  1252 Time(s)

responsive on desktop 1.png

Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:17 pm 

Well, you got quite a nice amount done already.. congrats icon_smile.gif
Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group