phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

embedded youtube w/ advanced bbcode dead?

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
TheRealDots
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:29 pm 
Post subject: embedded youtube w/ advanced bbcode dead?

for the last several days, youtube vids posted to our forum using advanced bbcode have stopped working, irrespective of the browser used. i checked the bbcode website (which has not been updated for years apparently), and even their sample videos are broken. has anyone else noticed this? any alternatives available?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:12 pm 
Post subject: Re: embedded youtube w/ advanced bbcode dead?

Youtube videos on mine are still working so I must have used a different mod to install it. I have just had a look on phppbhacks.com but the only ones there are for the advanced bbcode.
If I get a chance tomorrow I will see if I can find one of my pen drives on which I have a lot of the mods I installed.

In the meantime Dog Cow produced an archive of validated mods so take a look here.
http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/viewtopic.php?t=241

JIm

TheRealDots
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:54 pm 

Awesome! I'd really appreciate that, thank you!
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:57 pm 

TheRealDots wrote:
Awesome! I'd really appreciate that, thank you!

have you checked out that archive I linked as a very good chance what you seek will be there?

Jim

TheRealDots
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:17 pm 

i did, and i only saw a youtube mod file. how do i process that?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:23 am 

The usual process is to open the file in a text editor and then to follow the instructions contained in that file.
Have you ever installed modifications yourself?
Do you have root access to the server?

One thing to consider is why your existing system has stopped working. The most likely is that there has been an upgrade in some of the software used (most likely PHP)
If you are on shared hosting there is not much that can be done but if this server is one rented by yourself then you could ask the host to turn the clock back to the previous version for you.

Do you know what version of PHP you are currently on?

Jim

TheRealDots
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:39 am 

yep, on both accounts. while i wouldn't call our board "heavily" modded, i put in several key elements years back. they were always in zip or tar.gz archives, though, so i am just unfamiliar with .mod extension. if all i need is notepad, i can make use of that. and now, suddenly, embedded video works again. since all of our users worldwide were experiencing it, i have to imagine it was something systemic, but there is still no word at youtube or google as to what it may have been. i will be reviewing more of the mods, though, to see if there is anything our old place could use.

one thing i would like to add is a template for mobile users. i see there are a couple of threads on these forums regarding that. has there been any consensus as to which is currently the preferred solution?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:10 am 

If you do a search you should find some info on mobile templates. There certainly was someone that was working on one.
It is inevitable that as PHP is further developed and it not being backwards compatible that some mods and maybe even phpBB2 itself might fail.
I have about 100 tables now in my database against the basic install of about 40. As things fail if there is no workaround then I shall just remove the options from my navigation. I am 70 next year so can't see myself either "upgrading" or starting afresh with new software.

Jim

Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:21 am 

I started something over at the thread below, but since I don't use phpBB2 myself anymore and the requester didn't seem to come back I stopped devoting time to it. I could look into it again sometime if there is interest.

http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/viewtopic.php?t=398&start=15
TheRealDots
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:40 am 

^that is really great work there. how close did you get to a finished product?
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 am 

Only as close as you can see there, and probably farther than it seems. The index is in a usable state but could still use improvements, and every other page will need its own tweaks. It will be a lot worse if the ACP needs to be adapted as well since it has lots of tables and pop ups. Also keep in mind that every mod that changes or adds to any page's output will need to be patched to be compatible with the new layout.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group