phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

phpBB 2 maintenance repository on GitHub

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
ebourg
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:46 am 
Post subject: phpBB 2 maintenance repository on GitHub

Hi all,

I started a repository on GitHub dedicated to the maintenance of phpBB 2. The repository is based on the version 2.0.23. It doesn't contain new features, but only bug fixes addressing the compatibility with recent versions of PHP (tested with PHP 7.0).

https://github.com/ebourg/phpbb2
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am 
Post subject: Re: phpBB 2 maintenance repository on GitHub

Nice project! Especially as OVH is starting to remove old php versions from their servers.

There's a way to unbust your mysqli layer without removing the query arrays (commit).
It doesn't matter in the slightest for basic phpbb cases, the object will just be casted to a boolean, but if you have advanced usages, it will start to break down.

I used a SplObjectStorage to fix it in Icy Phoenix.

Help me archive premods on github! (fixed for recent PHPs).
ebourg
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am 

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't want to use the cast to boolean because it didn't look safe. As I understand as soon as a page opens two resultsets simultaneously it's likely to break. But maybe this issue is moot anyway because the only method reading the saved row/rowset is sql_fetchfield(), and if I'm not mistaken it's never used. That's why I simply removed the fields. I'll keep in mind the SplObjectStorage trick if ever the optimization must be preserved for some mods.

Are there other fixes in Icy Phoenix that would be worth backporting to a vanilla phpBB 2?
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:01 pm 

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. I didn't want to use the cast to boolean because it didn't look safe. As I understand as soon as a page opens two resultsets simultaneously it's likely to break. But maybe this issue is moot anyway because the only method reading the saved row/rowset is sql_fetchfield(), and if I'm not mistaken it's never used. That's why I simply removed the fields. I'll keep in mind the SplObjectStorage trick if ever the optimization must be preserved for some mods.
You are right. However most phpBB2 boards are modded with cache and/or a "phpbbmyadmin"-style mod, and those tend to require that.

Quote:
Are there other fixes in Icy Phoenix that would be worth backporting to a vanilla phpBB 2?

Icy Phoenix is a hybrid phpBB2/phpBB3 codebase, taking things apart is Too Hardô.
I'm having troubles remembering what would effect phpBB2 itself, considering I have applied different fixes to my premod(ezarena), to IntegraMOD, and to Icy Phoenix over the years.

Also, since your repo is a fork, Github's codesearch is disabled...
In no specific order, I have those: (sorry if they don't actually matter in vanilla phpBB2)

MWE_001
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:30 am 

So will this version you have on GIt actually run stable with some older mods such as AD&R or any old school mods of the such?

I'm bored. phpBB3 is boring now. No more coding mods. Plug and play only. YAWN!! I want to find replace, remove, and add after! icon_lol.gif

Awesome project! I am so glad to see someone keeping it alive. It still runs smooth on my server as I can run any php version I choose from 5. basic to 7. new.
ebourg
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am 

MWE_001 wrote:
So will this version you have on GIt actually run stable with some older mods such as AD&R or any old school mods of the such?

I don't know, but since the modifications are kept to a minimum it's likely to work if the mod applied to phpBB 2.0.23.
MWE_001
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:56 am 

That's great! Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go.

I will be installing on php 5.6.35 and mySQL 5.7.21

Good times! I miss the old 2.X line so bad. Thanks again!
Vendethiel
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 pm 

Oh, MWE_001! Happy to see you here! It's funny, I started porting AD&R to integramod just this weekend, a few days ago icon_biggrin.gif.
MWE_001
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 pm 

Nice!

Hey I need to shoot you a PM so I don't hijack this thread.

On a side note, I do have this version installed and have added a few odds and end mods to it like a Reg Code Mod to stop bots from registering (very simple awesome mod) and a couple index related mods and ACP related. So far no issues.

*EDIT*

Is this version the one that we were calling the unofficial 2.0.24 release years back?
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm 

What about adding any enhancements?

One big one we implemented some time ago is the use of Wincache with WAMP setups. The performance increase was night and day.

Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am 

One minor issue and it really is not an issue.

When installing, when choosing a database type, MySQL 4/5 is listed twice. Im guessing one of them is mySQLi .
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group