phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Attachments problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 am 
Post subject: Attachments problem

Just wondering if anyone knows of a solution to this problem that I have faced quite a few times.
There have been occasions when I have wanted to copy a post to another topic or forum.
The text copies just fine as do any images that make use of the [img] tags but images that are attachments do not copy.
Does anyone know of a mod that will make the attachments copy as well?

Jim
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 pm 
Post subject: Re: Attachments problem

You want to copy or move?

Attachments are keyed by post_id, so you can't have the same attachment on more than one post. But you could split the post out of one topic, and then merge it in to the other topic (assuming you have a merge MOD installed). The attachments should go along for the ride in that case.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:12 pm 

Yes Dave I can move a topic and merge topics and the attachments stay with the post. There have been instances were I have wanted to copy a post to another location and then it does not work. Sometimes a member has produced a real good build tutorial of a model plane and to stop it being spoilt by irrelevant following ones we start a second topic which is a discussion of that build, locking the original.
We have done this by copying the post and then image locations with [img] tags in order to reinsert the images.
As we encourage loads of photographs then it can be very time consuming.

Jim
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:36 pm 

If attachments are bound to one specific post id, I suppose modifying the MOD's behaviour to allow more wouldn't be viable.

Maybe add a line that would automatically make a copy of the attachment (physical file) and bind it to the new id when you copy a post elsewhere?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:48 am 

I am afraid that PHP coding is beyond me. I did buy a book on PHP but gave up on it very quickly as I could not find the time needed to learn it.
Now that I am retired I seem to have even less free time.

Jim
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:05 am 

In addition to having never used the mod, I'm also out of time at the moment so I can't really help more. But if no one else can, try to bump this in a while and I'll see what I can do.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 pm 

Adjusting attachments so that they could be attached to more than one post would not be trivial. It would require a new database table and updates to the attachment MOD itself.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 am 

What about the other option I offered above?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:13 am 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have decided that the possible work involved in getting the attachments to copy is not worth it.
We shall continue to copy the post and then edit it to include image locations and [img] tags.

Thanks again
Jim
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

Salvatos wrote:
What about the other option I offered above?

You mean this?
Salvatos wrote:
Maybe add a line that would automatically make a copy of the attachment (physical file) and bind it to the new id when you copy a post elsewhere?

The best solution would be to allow attachments to be linked to more than one post. Wordpress, for example, allows you to do this by uploading content not to a post but to a media library. Then you can use the library items on any post by creating a link. That way if the media item is ever updated, then all posts that reference that item automatically get the updated content as well.

Making a physical copy of the item is feasible but not desirable, primarily because of the update issue.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:15 am 

I also have the Userupload by Starfoxtj which I much prefer my users to use for the stated reason.
However a lot find the Attachment mod easier to use.

Jim
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 am 

I am using UploadPic for over 7 years now, it is really good!
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:59 am 

Holger wrote:
I am using UploadPic for over 7 years now, it is really good!

Does that place the photograph into the post automatically or just give users a repository for the images?

Jim
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 pm 

UploadPic stores the images on your server, in a folder that you set up.
It is fully integrated into phpBB2 and the images are inserted into the posts with the img-tag.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:16 pm 

Thanks Holger.
That does sound very similar to the "User upload toolkit" by Starfoxtj.
That is integrated into phpBB2 in that it uses the same log in username as phpBB2. It creates a folder into which it the creates individual folders as and when a user accesses the upload. It gives you the facility to specify a global total plus be able to set individual limits on a user by user basis plus a maximum file size on an individual basis.
For example I can set a global total of say 10GB for images plus an individual total of say 50Mb and a max file size of 200KB for ordinary users but should a user be a prolific poster of images I can change just that individuals total.
I might also want to be able to allow moderators the ability to upload larger files and that is easily done.
As with your "mod" this gives you a direct url to copy and paste into a post either as html or with image tags or just a direct link.
No editing of files to do - just a simple link in your navigation.

I would prefer my users to use this all the time instead of the attachment mod as you can insert images as and where you want instead of them all being at the end of a post BUT as you know some folks are not very computer savy and need things to be simple and that is what the attachment mod is.

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group