phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

I'm struggling with phpBB2 and mail2forum

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
KJoMiller
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:20 pm 
Post subject: I'm struggling with phpBB2 and mail2forum

I'm the HQ & Administrative Manager for a small association... So I’m not a developer but I am pretty technical. A developer selected phpBB2 and mail2forum as our tool for our listserv... and nearly 1 year later I'm still waiting to launch this to our membership. I thought we had gotten close and started doing some seriously heavy testing amongst a small controlled testing group -- but we are finding a number of bugs. I'm looking for an extremely EXPERIENCED person who can help me overcome these two problems and be our support system moving forward:

1. Attachments
2. Invisible posts

With regard to #1 – if we include an attachment in a mail2forum it NEVER comes through – not in the form of an email post nor does it appear in the digest.

With regard to #2 – when certain user’s posts via mail2forum their post appear to be invisible - both in the email and in the digest.

I’m desperate and need help – anyone willing to consult on these problems and help me get this listserv launched I’d be very grateful.

Looking forward to your replies,
KJoMiller
kmiller@ishrs.org
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 pm 
Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with phpBB2 and mail2forum

Maybe you should try the Mail2Forum support section, since they would know better about frequent issues. I had a quick look around and didn't see any general issue concerning your bugs.

Things you'd need to specify, since it can be difficult to fix someone else's work: your phpBB version, PHP version, M2F version and database version (in case), the method used to send e-mails (mail(), Sendmail or SMTP), the method used to import e-mails (POP3, Mbox, Stdin) and mailing list system (M2F's or a different one).

It could also be useful to know your forum setup. Is it currently being used outside testing? Are you able to start from scratch with a fresh forum install? That would be my personal approach, but I am in no way an expert, especially where e-mailing is concerned.
cpreston
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:28 am 
Post subject: Re: I'm struggling with phpBB2 and mail2forum

I have run mail2forum for years and it is crucial to the success of our forum. And so I've been a phpbb2 refugee as well.

I considered funding the development of the phpbb3 version of mail2forum after it was abandoned by the developers. But when I got the price tag (over $20K) I looked for a different plan.

If you want to stay on phpbb2 and use mail2forum, I think it works awesome and am still using it in production with Mysql 5.2.17.

If you're looking for an alternative, however, I think I've found it. I'm going to be migrating to Fudforum. It seems easy to install and they appear to have integrated mail2forum into their core code. (They don't call it mail2forum, but now that I've configure it, it has almost all the same options.)

The community is smaller than phpbb3, and they seem to support each other. You also seem to have direct access to core developers -- much easier than getting that kind of thing with phpbb3.

I will tell you I'm having a problem with the phpbb2 import. I've posted something in the forum. We'll see how it goes.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group