phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

My issue

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:30 pm 
Post subject: My issue

I've started up a forum for an old MUD text-based RP game. My goal was to make it easy for players to simply posting in html which would color logs of sessions of the game.

When I post in html on the site though it seems to add an extra space between each line which makes it come out weird. I'm thinking it could possibly be the need to increase the line length somehow but I haven't seen an option for changing that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated my email is CSoneTwo@gmail.com and dyce77@live.com

the site is newcarthage.org
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 am 
Post subject: Re: My issue

Hi,

Somehow an extra linebreak is inserted, I can´t tell where that happens exactly. Someone else will.

But I strongly recommend you to not use phpBB2 if you are starting a new forum. You really should use the latest version of phpBB3. Probably you won't have the problem you commented.

Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:35 pm 

Well, phpbb3 doesn't support HTML posting. Even though I am limiting the tags to simple text coloring/font for the most part. I have no interest in java or anything... although I wouldn't mind figuring out a way to have some background music.

but simply removing the extra spaces between lines would sufficiently satisfy me at this point.

thanks for the quick response btw.
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:06 pm 

http://www.newcarthage.org/viewtopic.php?p=15#15

so I did it on that one but I swear i just removed the <tr> and </tr> tags.

I try to replicate this and it doesn't seem to work, I figure I could just remove the tr tag from the allowed html and/or censor the precise words but that didn't seem to work.

here is the raw code I used when I was successful

Quote:
<Produced>
<table bgcolor="#000000">

<pre><td><code><font face="FixedSys, Lucida Console, Courier New, Courier"><font color="#0">
</font><font color="#00FF00">Corner of Midtown and Fuji (in New Carthage)
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">Garish, highbrow clubs cater here to the fetishes of Midtown's skin sculptors. Neon-lined buildings surround the intersection. Their gaping, chromed doors spill lines of waiting ravers like steaming, unraveled guts. Industrial synth and postwar grunge hangs in the late night air, a standing wave of reverb and music.
</font><font color="#FFFFFF">You can cross the street south, the street takes a turn to the east, and the street heads away west. To the north, a low fence with a large hole ripped in it leads to a dark alley.
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">You see a vehicle to the south. To the east, you see someone standing. You see a hovercab to the east.
</font><font color="#008000">It is now autumn.
A fume-laden wind is blowing the rain in sheets.
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">You see </font><font color="#008080">a male corpse</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> on the sidewalk.
</font><font color="#808000">Lazarus is attempting to hide here.
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">Lazarus starts sneaking away...

</font></font></code></pre>
</td></table>

and raw code otherwise.

Quote:
<!-- Produced by MUSHclient v 4.84 - www.mushclient.com -->
<table border=0 cellpadding=5 bgcolor="#000000">
<tr><td>
<pre><code><font size=2 face="FixedSys, Lucida Console, Courier New, Courier"><font color="#0">
</font><font color="#00FF00">Corner of Hitachi and High (in New Carthage)
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">Streetwalkers, cromags, punks, hovertraffic, and groundcars collide here in a headlong rush of horns, swearing, and middle fingers. Biz is a constant
background buzz, like the hum of a flourescent bulb. Holoboards float in the hazy, cigarette-choked air. All around, steel and chrome towers, reflecting
the daytime sun in a hot embrace.
</font><font color="#FFFFFF">The street heads away north and east and you can cross the intersection south and west.
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">You see a vehicle to the north. You see a vehicle to the south. You see a vehicle to the west. You see a vehicle to the northwest. Some vehicles are to the
southeast.
A warm rain is falling from poisoned, silver-colored clouds.
</font><font color="#008080">A Kia Lifecraft 2K29</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> is parked here.
inv
You are carrying:
a credstick a Myotech paper jumpsuit (worn)
Your burden is barely even noticeable.
w
You dash across the street, dodging the vehicles of the busy intersection.
</font><font color="#00FF00">Corner of Hitachi and High (in New Carthage)
</font><font color="#FFFFFF">The street heads away north, you can cross the intersection south and east, and the street heads away west. You can enter the hovercraft station to
the northwest.
</font><font color="#C0C0C0">You see a vehicle to the north. You see a vehicle to the east. You see a vehicle to the northeast. You see a vehicle to the southeast. You see a vehicle to
the southwest.
A warm rain is falling from poisoned, silver-colored clouds.
</font><font color="#008080">A Neon Hovercab</font><font color="#C0C0C0"> is parked here.
</font></font></code></pre>
</td></tr></table>
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 pm 

The table/tr/td aren't really useful as far as I can see and should probably not be allowed, indeed.

Your two pastes produce extra lines on my forum. Removing <pre> removes those lines in both cases.
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:25 pm 

Ah that solves it thanks.

I was removing <tr> </tr> then moving <td> </td> to in between <code> & <pre> seemed to work also but deleted <pre> or just disallowing the 'pre' html tag seems much easier and solves that issue.

Sorry to add on but my next issue is that when a post is too long it seems to cut off but I can't find where to allow more lines per post.

Also is there a way to be able to allow users to add attachment files to posts?
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:29 pm 

Dice wrote:
Sorry to add on but my next issue is that when a post is too long it seems to cut off but I can't find where to allow more lines per post.

You mean the message is posted normally but the content is cut? Or it won't let you post? Either way if you could try to figure out the character limit at which it breaks, it could be useful information.

Dice wrote:
Also is there a way to be able to allow users to add attachment files to posts?

There is a popular MOD for that on phpBBHacks that should be easy to find. Never installed it myself but every phpBB2 forum that has the functionality seems to be using the same.
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:33 pm 

The character limit at which is breaks would be rather large.

I'm sure I could figure this out or guesstimate it then just increase it until its suitable with guess and check methods.

Question is, where to apply it to do that.

Ah yes, a mod like that would be quite nice!

again thanks. icon_smile.gif
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 pm 

I'm asking because I'm not sure the forum really checks for that. If it posts it normally but you're missing the last part, it's probably that you have exceeded the data table's size limit for that field (~64 kb) and MySQL truncates it automatically.
But if you are getting an error message, I would need it to figure out where it gets triggered.
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm 

I've not received any error message. so I would suspect its not the latter but instead the MySQL that you mentioned first. I'll look into it.

edit:

upon copying/pasting what was in the post excluding what was cutoff into word and doing a character count it showed 63,668 characters, just short of 64k confirming that first suspicion.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:06 pm 

I do believe some characters take up more than 1 byte, so yes, that should be it. The good news is that it's easily fixed by increasing the field type to MEDIUMTEXT, but that may have an impact on things like search indexing. Unless you have a large community, though, I don't think it's going to matter.
Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:40 pm 

I am accessing MySQL but I'm not finding this fieldtype in order to easily change it.

mind pointing me in the right direction?

I'm looking under the 'forums' category then going to 'forum post' and 'posts'and changing various mediumInt to mediumText but I receive an error msg each time

I don't think I'm qualified to just start guess and check changing things til I figure it out so a little more specific on where I can set this... would be greatly appreciated!

icon_mrgreen.gif
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm 

A picture is worth a thousand words icon_smile.gif
You're looking for field 'post_text' on table 'posts_text'. Change its type from TEXT to MEDIUMTEXT.

field change.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.04 KB
 Viewed:  1347 Time(s)

field change.png

Dice
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 pm 

Yes! I actually just found this a minute ago then checked on here to see you pointing at the same thing!

Much thanks, I think all my problems are solved. Next in line is for me to setup a new theme/style and see if there's anything for background music heheh.

icon_biggrin.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group