phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Program for running phpBB2 on PC

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 pm 
Post subject: Program for running phpBB2 on PC

Hy!

I've used a program for doying this some months ago, but I don't have the same computer anymore and I don't remember the name of that program. Anyway, it wasn't good because it has a 8MB SQL limit. icon_confused.gif Limit for my computer? icon_rolleyes.gif I understand limit on a public server, but if it's my computer, I want no limit. icon_confused.gif
So can you please tell a program that puts PHP, SQL , MyAdmin All-in-One, easy to use ant without SQL limit? icon_smile.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: Program for running phpBB2 on PC

XAMPP.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 pm 

1.I see that there is also Apache included. What I wish to do is test forums on my computer and not running them online.
2.I don't see any win64 version, will this run on my Windows x64 O.S.? icon_biggrin.gif

dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:29 pm 

You can use Xampp to run your board on your computer or online. I use it to run my board and website on my computer. As far as I understand you need Apache in both cases.

I guess you wonīt have any problem running it, however, if you have any questions about Xampp you can find answers on their forum.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:17 pm 

For the record, wampserver is my prefered Windows Apache Mysql Php tool: it follows the version upgrades at very short time, and allow to install various versions matching the one installed at your production server. It works well on vista 64, but I don't know for xp 64 (but highly probably).
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 pm 

Ptirhiik wrote:
For the record, wampserver is my prefered Windows Apache Mysql Php tool: it follows the version upgrades at very short time, and allow to install various versions matching the one installed at your production server. It works well on vista 64, but I don't know for xp 64 (but highly probably).

What is the SQL limit (if there is one)? My forum has 75MB database, so I need at least 100-200. icon_smile.gif

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:31 am 

the only limit should be your hard disk size. I can't imagine what program you were using before that had any kind of a mysql limit.

was that a windows based program ? or did you have apache etc.?

I too suggest wamp. I started with easyphp but when I found wamp, I have not looked back.

The only complaint I have about it is that it takes so long to load pages and access the databases etc. I expected it to be instantaneous since it is on my computer.

robert
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:52 am 

Quote:
I started with easyphp but when I found wamp, I have not looked back.
The same happened to me, but with Xampp. I was using Easyphp but ecer since I discovered Xampp I never looked back.

I donīt know Wamp so I don't know if that has a php-switcher built in, Xampp has a php-switcher which allows to switch back and forth between php4 and php5. This can come in very handy if you need to detect compatibility issues.

And like Lumpy says, the only limit should be your disk space, I can set up as many and as big databases as I need.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:57 am 

My largest local database is around 300MB. On a side note, if you are going to install the latest version, be sure to get the mySQL 5.0.51b version from the plug-ins download page, and to install it: there are some known problems with mySQL 3.1.x & php 5.2.8 that doesn't rely to wampserver (actually to php). You will be able to activate this version clicking-left the tray icon (bottom right) and choosing the version from the mySQL menu.

> dogs & things: yep it has, but also a Apache version switcher, and a mySQL version switcher (though the databases are obviously not shared between versions icon_wink.gif).
Here are the versions available:
Apache 1.3.35 to 1.3.39, 2.0.49 to 2.0.63, 2.2.2 to 2.2.11
PHP 4.1.2 to 4.3.9, 4.4.4 to 4.4.9, 5.0.0 to 5.2.8,
mySQL: 4.1.20 to 4.1.22, 5.0.37 to 5.0.51b, 5.1.30 (some problems with this last one)
You can also install dev/alpha & rc versions for php (I didn't try for apache & mysql, but I assume this is also doable).
Xampp is also a pretty good tool, very similar in many aspect.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:14 am 

I have installed WampServer. When I started it, it said error parsing... in PHP, error parsing... in SQL... 3 errors. icon_confused.gif Anyway, I hope it works.
The problem is I don't know how to install the forum on my computer, because I want to keep all MODifications. icon_smile.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:17 pm 

Download all the files from your live server and put them into the www folder or whatever Wampserver uses for root of domains. Backup your database from your live site via phpmyadmin and open the file in Wordpad. Do a search for your domain name. That will be in the table phpbb_config and against the field server_name.
Edit your domain name to show "localhost" and click save.
Now restore that database to your set up on your PC using Wampservers phpmyadmin.

Good to go now.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:25 pm 

Code:
phpMyAdmin - Error

Cannot load mysqli extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation

There seems to be a problem because I use a 64-bit O.S.
Code:
1.33 Is there a problem with the mysqli extension when running PHP 5.0.4 on 64-bit systems?

Yes. This problem affects phpMyAdmin ("Call to undefined function pma_reloadnavigation"), so upgrade your PHP to the next version.

I'll try AppServ, it has been recomanded to me by A_O_C and then I'll say if there will still be problems.

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:45 pm 

XAMPP is very good and easy to set up. I have used it for years.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59 pm 

I am downloading XAMPP right now. icon_wink.gif AppServ has 8MB sql limit, so it's no good...

LATER EDIT: XAMPP has 16MB sql limit. It is no good. icon_sad.gif I don't understand this, if I am my own host, why do I need a limit? icon_confused.gif Anyway, does anyone know a program for running phpBB2, without limits, or at least 100MB sql space? icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:50 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
I am downloading XAMPP right now. icon_wink.gif AppServ has 8MB sql limit, so it's no good...

LATER EDIT: XAMPP has 16MB sql limit. It is no good. icon_sad.gif I don't understand this, if I am my own host, why do I need a limit? icon_confused.gif Anyway, does anyone know a program for running phpBB2, without limits, or at least 100MB sql space? icon_rolleyes.gif

You are talking rubbish!
You can have a database of any size using XAMPP.
What you are looking at are the limits placed on the size of file that can be executed.
Firstly you can go into the php.ini file and change that. Restart the server afterwards.
Use Bigdump to restore the database as you would have to with any database sql file that exceeds the max set.

I have had setups on XAMPP with databases of several 100MB's

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 4 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group