phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Program for running phpBB2 on PC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Ptirhiik
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:10 pm 
Post subject: Re: Program for running phpBB2 on PC

Since some times now, phpmyadmin allows to put the zip (or flat) sql file on the server and to restore it from there, making bigdump quite useless. Just create an upload/ directory within the phpmyadmin directory, then edit config.inc.php (still in phpmyadmin directory) to put:
Code:
$cfg['UploadDir'] = './upload';

(the $cfg['UploadDir'] = line is probably existing, empty)

Once done, you just have to put the backup within, and to go to the import tab in phpmyadmin: there will be a drop down list with the filename in to select.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
You are talking rubbish!
You can have a database of any size using XAMPP.
What you are looking at are the limits placed on the size of file that can be executed.
Firstly you can go into the php.ini file and change that. Restart the server afterwards.
Use Bigdump to restore the database as you would have to with any database sql file that exceeds the max set.

I have had setups on XAMPP with databases of several 100MB's

Jim

I don't find any php.ini file. I even used Windows buit-in search, but there is nothing with that name.
Bigdump I've tryed it some while ago, but to be honnest, it didn't work for me.
Ptirhiik wrote:
Since some times now, phpmyadmin allows to put the zip (or flat) sql file on the server and to restore it from there, making bigdump quite useless. Just create an upload/ directory within the phpmyadmin directory, then edit config.inc.php (still in phpmyadmin directory) to put:
Code:

Once done, you just have to put the backup within, and to go to the import tab in phpmyadmin: there will be a drop down list with the filename in to select.

It doesn't work. Look at this link. There is no dropdown. And I did what you said. This is config.inc.php:
Code:
<?php
/*
* This is needed for cookie based authentication to encrypt password in
* cookie
*/
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'xampp'; /* YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS FOR A MORE SECURE COOKIE AUTH! */

/*
* Servers configuration
*/
$i = 0;

/*
* First server
*/
$i++;

/* Authentication type and info */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';

/* User for advanced features */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = 'pma';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';

/* Advanced phpMyAdmin features */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'] = 'phpmyadmin';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['bookmarktable'] = 'pma_bookmark';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['relation'] = 'pma_relation';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_info'] = 'pma_table_info';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['table_coords'] = 'pma_table_coords';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pdf_pages'] = 'pma_pdf_pages';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['column_info'] = 'pma_column_info';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['history'] = 'pma_history';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['designer_coords'] = 'pma_designer_coords';

/*
* End of servers configuration
*/

?>

Somewhere in the bottom you'll see $cfg['UploadDir'] = './upload';

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:40 pm 

Having a nice, correct tutorial for setting up one (or any) of these off-line environments would be a nice KB article. icon_wink.gif

Is there any reason why you need the complete database? For testing I start with an empty database and register a few users. I don't test on a huge database because everything just slows down.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm 

Yea boy, I love a nice tutorial...
Ptirhiik
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:39 am 

I see no specific reason you wouldn't see the drop down list. What version of phpmyadmin are you using ? Is the phpmyadmin/upload/ directory present and readable ? Have you put a .sql file, readable, into ?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:43 am 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
I don't find any php.ini file. I even used Windows buit-in search, but there is nothing with that name.

Image link

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:50 am 

Thanks Jim, I've found it now. Is this the line I have to change?
Code:
max_execution_time = 60     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60   ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 32M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (16MB)

drathbun wrote:
Having a nice, correct tutorial for setting up one (or any) of these off-line environments would be a nice KB article. icon_wink.gif

That would be nice. icon_smile.gif
drathbun wrote:
Is there any reason why you need the complete database? For testing I start with an empty database and register a few users. I don't test on a huge database because everything just slows down.

I wanned to see what happens with my database after updating to phpBB 2.0.23, but Jim told me there is no risk in there. Not too worry about that now, but still, when I would put some other MODs, I guess I would like to see how it looks. icon_biggrin.gif
Ptirhiik wrote:
I see no specific reason you wouldn't see the drop down list. What version of phpmyadmin are you using ? Is the phpmyadmin/upload/ directory present and readable ? Have you put a .sql file, readable, into ?

The version of phpMyAdmin is 2.11.9.2.
Yes, I created an upload directory into the phpmyadmin one and if it's not hidden, I guess it should be readable. Also yes, I put the an zip archive of a sql file. But no drop down box. icon_sad.gif

Kim_Possible
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:08 pm 

I use EasyPHP for all of my "localhost" boards (including my phpBB2 test board). It is super easy to set up and works just fine (even for local versions of really large boards).
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:54 pm 

Yes you can change the maximum execution time and the file size if you want.
I wonder if your sql backup has "extended inserts"
Bigdump is happy with "complete" but not Extended inserts.
You can also split an sql file into a number of sections and restore them one at a time.
I have such a splitter if you want it

Jim
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:21 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
drathbun wrote:

I wanned to see what happens with my database after updating to phpBB 2.0.23, but Jim told me there is no risk in there. Not too worry about that now, but still, when I would put some other MODs, I guess I would like to see how it looks. icon_biggrin.gif

You don't need your entire database for that. icon_razz.gif

Unless you are load testing volumes of data just get in the way. In most environments having 5-10% of the total data from your live board is more than enough to test. And if you're load testing, you should be testing on the same hardware you're going to be running your live board on. By "same" I don't mean necessarily the exact same box, but equivalent hardware.

For what it's worth, I don't use any of these packages mentioned so far. I have an old Pentium PIII system with 256MB of RAM and I installed linux on it. Most distributions come with php, MySQL, and Apache by default. There are many benefits to this. The most important is that I am running the exact same version of the database and php on my test system and my production system.

It doesn't take much hardware to run a linux box. icon_smile.gif I don't even have a keyboard or monitor hooked up to the system, it just sits in the corner happily running for months on end.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:40 pm 

Ptirhiik wrote:
Code:

I was unaware of this but have just tested on XAMPP and it works fine. I wonder if Sylver Cheetah 53 is selecting the correct option. I have attached an image showing it in phpmyadmin and XAMPP and have just restored a 200MB database with it.

Image link

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:10 pm 

Unfortunatelly, I still do not have the webserver upload directory field showing up. Still, I've takin' Drathbun's advace, and try to put a backup from two years ago, wich is smaller. Seems to be some error in search_wordlist, but I can delete those. This is not a problem, the problem is that I don't know how to acces the forum. I've put the files in www/friends, but when I type localhost/friends, there is nothing showing up. icon_sad.gif
Jim_UK wrote:
Yes you can change the maximum execution time and the file size if you want.
I wonder if your sql backup has "extended inserts"
Bigdump is happy with "complete" but not Extended inserts.
You can also split an sql file into a number of sections and restore them one at a time.
I have such a splitter if you want it
Jim

Yes, it sounds interesting, Jim. Thanks. icon_wink.gif

dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:48 am 

Quote:
the problem is that I don't know how to acces the forum. I've put the files in www/friends, but when I type localhost/friends, there is nothing showing up.

Type http://127.0.0.1/friends/ icon_wink.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 am 

Code:
Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
12/21/08 11:18:31
Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8i mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.6

And I thought maybe I did something wrong with the forum, but I put an index.html in the friends folder, and still the same message. I even tryed http://127.0.0.1/friends/index.html but still nothing. icon_sad.gif Apache is runngin, MySQL is running... I do not know what is wrong, but I never thought installing a forum on your own computer could be so hard. icon_cry.gif

LATER EDIT: Maybe I did not created the "friends" directory in the right place. I've put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\XAMPP\www. The "www" directory can't remember if was already there or I created it. icon_confused.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45 am 

That is incorrect. In XAMPP it is the htdocs folder that is the root.

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 4 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group