phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Why phbBB2?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Techie-Micheal
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Why phbBB2?

~Cowboy~ wrote:
~Cowboy~ wrote:
When they have to wrangle the slew of complaints like I did,.. they will be considering converting back, I'd bet on that....

They don't have to be converted back already to be considering it. icon_wink.gif

I on the other hand have already converted back. icon_biggrin.gif
It is a bet you'll lose. icon_wink.gif I know for a fact that Mozillazine has been wanting to get away from phpBB2 for quite some time. The fact that they chose phpBB3 proves that they they don't want to go back. bokt.nl converted to phpBB3 before it was even gold, they won't be going back. So, how much money are you wanting to put on that bet?
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:50 pm 

Techie-Micheal wrote:
The fact that they chose phpBB3 proves that they they don't want to go back.
I converted but that doesn't prove that I didn't want to go back afterwards. icon_eek.gif

You have to convert in the first place, to place your self in a position to even consider going back don't you? So I can't see what "Proof" that would be. icon_eek.gif

Techie-Micheal
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:54 pm 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
The fact that they chose phpBB3 proves that they they don't want to go back.
I converted but that doesn't prove that I didn't want to go back afterwards. icon_eek.gif

You have to convert in the first place, to place your self in a position to even consider going back don't you? So I can't see what "Proof" that would be. icon_eek.gif
Usually people are smart enough to install test versions to test drive before going live. If they haven't gone back now, they won't be. That's the proof.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 am 

Thats not proof.. Did you see the effect of the last update? They blocked all kinds of java scripts. How much over control can a person take before they just say "enough"...

But anyway lets get back on topic.. This thread is about "Why phpbb2" not "why not phpbb3".. icon_wink.gif

Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:58 am 

I can't upgrade to phpbb3 even, if I wanted because I use PHP-Nuke and phpbb2 is integrated as a module, whereas phpbb3 is not. Probably, it is very difficult to integrate phpbb3 into PHP-Nuke, but there is a bridge available, that probably don't work so well, because few Nukers use it.
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:45 pm 

I don't like the permissions-system in phpBB3. I have some sites running with phpBB3, but I automatically focus on my phpBB2-sites.

AND I do not like the prosilver style, on all of my phpBB3-sites I use subsilver2.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:31 pm 

Holger wrote:
I don't like the permissions-system in phpBB3. I have some sites running with phpBB3, but I automatically focus on my phpBB2-sites.

AND I do not like the prosilver style, on all of my phpBB3-sites I use subsilver2.

I used subsilver2 also... but it's not a very good replacement for Subsilver is it.. At least they could have tried a bit harder to make it the same as the default subsilver from phpbb2.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Techie-Micheal
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:40 pm 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Thats not proof.. Did you see the effect of the last update? They blocked all kinds of java scripts. How much over control can a person take before they just say "enough"...
But that is proof that they will? I provided details, and you provide what you didn't like, not what they didn't like. How do you know that they didn't appreciate the last update? And what blocking of javascript are you talking about?

Quote:
But anyway lets get back on topic.. This thread is about "Why phpbb2" not "why not phpbb3".. icon_wink.gif
Then quit discussing subsilver2. icon_wink.gif
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:49 pm 

Techie-Micheal wrote:
~Cowboy~ wrote:
But that is proof that they will? I provided details, and you provide what you didn't like, not what they didn't like. How do you know that they didn't appreciate the last update? And what blocking of javascript are you talking about?

Quote:
Then quit discussing subsilver2. icon_wink.gif

No Reply in an effort to get back on topic..Image link

khofech
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 pm 

for me, i'll not move to phpbb3 because, I spent too too much much time downloading over 600 mods, and i'll be the stupidiest man if I drop em all and move to phpbb3, second my board now had over 200 mods installed, and still counting,,,,...., then moving to phpbb3.04 not is like moving from phpbb1 to 2.03 , I consider that a self suicide , maybe i'll move when it will be 3.0.23 loooooooooool ,, euhhhh then because I don't want to crawl the eyes all the nightssss and trying to inderstand the new code hierarchy used in v 3 so I can mod it by myself, have no time for that, that's all folks.
depablo
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:44 am 

Jim_UK wrote:
The versatility of the permissions section is it's undoing. It is just far too complicated for the average user.

Jim

My first post here and fully agree with Jim's statement. How easy was phpBB2 dropdown selection for permissions. Now that was light years ahead.

phpBB3 admin interface is it's undoing, most folk are not full blown coders but know enough to get by, in my case it was just too much work and I never felt confident I had the permissions right.

Nice to see this community spring up, maybe folk will listen and make phpBB3 more user friendly, how could anyone do away with that drop down selection feature icon_cry.gif
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:18 pm 

Actually, you'll be dissapointed because I'm pretty sure phpBB will be harder and harder until only the creators will use it. icon_lol.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Techie-Micheal
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm 

depablo wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
The versatility of the permissions section is it's undoing. It is just far too complicated for the average user.

Jim

My first post here and fully agree with Jim's statement. How easy was phpBB2 dropdown selection for permissions. Now that was light years ahead.

phpBB3 admin interface is it's undoing, most folk are not full blown coders but know enough to get by, in my case it was just too much work and I never felt confident I had the permissions right.

Nice to see this community spring up, maybe folk will listen and make phpBB3 more user friendly, how could anyone do away with that drop down selection feature icon_cry.gif
That dropdown is still there in phpBB3.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 pm 

I've tryed Informe's free boards (wich are phpBB3) and it tooked about two hours to make a forum visible for myself. icon_confused.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:24 am 

Permissions are much more complex in phpBB3 but are also much more powerful. The permissions data model for phpBB2 could use some work too, but the ugliness is hidden behind a simple interface. icon_smile.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 8 of 10 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group