phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

How to speed up a forum?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 pm 
Post subject: How to speed up a forum?

Hy!

I am using Extreme Styles MOD, but the administrator of this board said it isn't the fastest engine out there. I have a background picture with about 700KB and it loads really slow. I have many smilies and also smilies in the description of the forums so I need something for speeding out my board.

Is it true that it helps cleaning out cache (except .htaccess and index.htm files) from time to time?
Also, what do I have to do with my temporary files? My tmp folder has almost 900MB. icon_eek.gif Look:
Image link
I should delete everything in there from time to time? icon_confused.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: How to speed up a forum?

This isn't related specifically to this site, so will move to the general phpBB2 Discussion forum, thanks.
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:13 am 

Nothing you can really do to make a background image of that size load faster save making it smaller. The Extreme Styles MOD implements template caching in phpBB2, which does help speed things up on the PHP side (although it's nowhere near as helpful as the similar caching in phpBB3). If there are other problems on the PHP side, then there is a topic on phpbb.com for speed tweaks for large boards (mind you unless it is a large board it is unlikely to help). Otherwise, if the board is slow, the issue likely results from a bloated board (too many poorly coded MODs, etc.) or an underpowered server.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:00 am 

Sure you can. icon_biggrin.gif

Here you go this will load in 1/3 the time as the image you are using now.

Image link

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:50 am 

That's because you changed it to jpeg, but it's got to be a gif, I think. Or maybe if I change the code in overall_header.tpl, I can make it jpeg. Do you think it would be any disadvantage to consider in using jpeg instead of gif? icon_biggrin.gif

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:58 pm 

It seems that indeed, it is good clearing up the cache folder. I've done that to my forum running on my computer and it fixed up some issues. icon_wink.gif
But I still do not know if I should delete the TMP folder also. I guess the forum will not crash because when I restore it to my computer, I did not copy the temporary files, so probably it's not necesary. But I am not sure it will really help with anything, it's just that like I was saying previously, it has 900MB. icon_eek.gif

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:42 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
That's because you changed it to jpeg, but it's got to be a gif, I think. Or maybe if I change the code in overall_header.tpl, I can make it jpeg. Do you think it would be any disadvantage to consider in using jpeg instead of gif? icon_biggrin.gif

No disadvantage that I can see unless your trying to use an image with a transparent background or an animation. Which should not be an issue in a background image.

I think you will find the load time advantage will out weigh all other disadvantages that you can find. Try it if it doesn't work for you you can always change it back right?

You will want it on your host though because that image I posted in on Imageshack and sometimes a remote served image can cause different kinds of issues.

Try it, you'll like it.

Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:43 pm 

During the five years we are running our board we have had a lot of fights against the speed-problems.
As it became very popular we have a lot of members and traffic.

Our actions to make the forum fast and reliable:
1) buy a FAST server
2) host all pics and files on THAT server, dont rely on external sources
3) keep the code as clean as you can
4) install as few mods as possible
5) install the Cache Posts mod (amigalink.de)

The most slowdowns we have from loading Google Adsense and we had OpenX installed on an external server, moved it to our own now with an significant increase of speed.

We have about 150-200GB of traffic every month. The DB is over 700MB by now. So we bougth the fastest server you can get at server4you.de - that solved a lot of our problems.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:58 pm 

Cache Posts mod should be considered for a built in mod for a forked release of pbpbb2 I think. I like that idea very much.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:59 pm 

Is this the MOD you guys talk about: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/7603?
It seems very very hard to install. icon_sad.gif Are you guys sure that it is good for something?

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 am 

Yes that would be the one. Cache Posts System 1.0.2
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:35 am 

Yep!
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:24 am 

I downloaded it and will look and see how it works. I'm always interested in speeding up my board.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:49 am 

drathbun wrote:
I downloaded it and will look and see how it works. I'm always interested in speeding up my board.

I have responded in the other topic on recommended mods Dave but we do see a definite speeding up of page generation.

Jim
Oliver2000
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:22 pm 

Hi to all,

I run as well a very big board and have up to 3000 users at the same time. I also changed and changed tons of this which i not even remember anymore after the years but i can confirm a significant speed increase with the Post Cache system mentioned above. I as well use extreme styles and both together do a great job for me.

However there are lot of little things you can do to speed up depending on your traffic and user behavior. I took for example some sql queries out and place in cache tables which i update once per minute instead of all the time somebody clicks somewhere.

@Holger: We also had some trouble with openX and installed on dedicated server, however still sometimes it is hanging if the template waits for the banner to get delivered. So we include all openX Banners via Iframe and not with JavaScript or PHP includes. On this way we solved the waiting time and avoid hanging times in case of the adserver is down for some reason.

Another great way to speed up things is to actually preload (cronjob) all forum (viewform.php) pages and store them as plain html version. Then change 3-4 lines in the viewforum.php to present all guest the ready pages instead of doing anything over phpbb etc. the forum pages load in milliseconds that way. Of course not for logged in users possible.
(this was a mod somewhere but i donít remember name or author. however i could give here the explanation how to do which is easy for anybody)

Cya
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group