phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Pro Forum Stats 1.0.0

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 am 
Post subject: Pro Forum Stats 1.0.0

Any one know where I can get this one?
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:06 am 
Post subject: Re: Pro Forum Stats 1.0.0

I found it here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=218916

But whats up with the file extension??

pro_forum_stats_1_0_0.mod ?

Isn't that a JVC video extension?

roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:49 am 

~Cowboy~ wrote:

Beats me, it's just a text file.

Thanks for bringing this up. I think I'll add it, too.
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:51 am 

roadhog wrote:
~Cowboy~ wrote:

Beats me, it's just a text file, obviously.

Thanks for bringing this up. I think I'll add it, too.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:51 am 

Yea I changed it to .txt also and opened it in Word..

I hate it when they do stuff like that...

roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 am 

What the . . . When I tried to edit my post, it just duplicated it. ????? icon_lol.gif
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:55 am 

roadhog wrote:
What the . . . When I tried to edit my post, it just duplicated it. ????? icon_lol.gif

I think you clicked on "quote" instead of "edit". LOL

roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 am 

Hmmmmmmmm. Thinking back, I'll bet you're right, because I got a warning about "Bumping", but it also said that I could edit my post, so I just assumed that some new code had been added, and I went ahead, thinking I was editing it. icon_lol.gif

Thanks, and sorry about the slipup. I'll try to target my "clicks" much more accurately in the future. icon_rolleyes.gif
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 am 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Isn't that a JVC video extension?

Yes, JVC adopted that extension as well, but MODifications have had the extension of MOD for a while, too...
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:37 pm 

.mod is used by several different media softwares.
I have no idea why phpbb started using it for the MOD text files.
however, it is just a text file and it will open with any text editor.

open the configuration/settings for your text editor and tell it to open .mod files.

robert
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:17 pm 

Yea I know what to do with it, I just question the mind of the person who decided to start using that knowing that it would not open in most default OS's

I mean whats the point of adding confusion to something that is already confusing to new installers?

I open them in edit plus BTW (If I am to lazy to change the extension to .txt. )
Otherwise setting it to Word or Notepad by default will have the legit .mod extensions opening up in Notepad or Word as a mass of code.

Which BTW aggravates the crap out of me.. icon_redface.gif

roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:30 pm 

I agree - it's hard for me to visualize how using that extension is an "improvement". All it does is guarantee that most computers won't be able to automatically handle it, without us either making some undesirable preference changes, or manually changing something every time you have to deal with one of those files with a "creative" extension.

What could be so bad about initially assigning a text file a .txt extension? icon_rolleyes.gif
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 am 

roadhog wrote:
What could be so bad about initially assigning a text file a .txt extension? icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's just us old-time people who assign file names and extensions based upon what a file is supposed to do, not on what program it will trigger when someone decides to ignore the instructions to "load XXXXX into a TEXT editor ..." and instead just double-click and hope some tech in far away Redmond or Cupertino correctly programmed the operating system to guess correctly? icon_rolleyes.gif

Apple popularized this "let the computer decide" crap, when they decided that every file would contain code to tell the operating system what program created the file, and which programs are allowed to open/manipulate it. This is an analog to the "shell line" on scripts for Unix and Linux, where the first line of the script says what program it is written for.

Microsoft tried to copy that functionality, without bothering with the overhead of actually giving the operating system something to work with. It did this with making guesses, based upon the file extension. Of course, this all falls apart in too many circumstances. Some of the biggest are listed as security problems, where Windows does things it should not do (like ignoring security checks because it is opening an "gif" file that is really a executable file).

What if the modification includes text files that are to be put on the site? How would you differentiate between those and the instructions? What happens when something you install decides to change how your system responds to a text file, loading it in, say, DreamWeaver instead of Notepad, and damaging the file in the process?

Maybe the thing to do is to change the extension to .ModificationInstructionsFoundInThisFileOpenItWithATextEditorLikeNotepad
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:29 am 

Quote:
Maybe the thing to do is to change the extension to .ModificationInstructionsFoundInThisFileOpenItWithATextEditorLikeNotepad
Image link
That was hilarious thanks for the giggle.

Butttt.....
Representing it with a file extension that is clearly a working extension for another program though,.. I don't think is the way to go...

I wonder how many people have tried to open that file as a video format only to get a file corruption error? icon_wink.gif

I do understand what your saying about the Microsoft extension recognition though. Point taken..

espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:48 am 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Butttt.....
Representing it with a file extension that is clearly a working extension for another program though,.. I don't think is the way to go...

Butttt......

When the "working extension for another program" didn't become that until later, what are you to do? I have a number of programs that use extensions that later were adopted by unrelated projects. In one, the usual convention is to separate the authors of the files by using their initials for the extension. Should we have to go through and rename all those files, if someone decides that, say, ".jrb" is the file extension to open a file in the Java Runtime Binary viewer?

Meanings change. Hard-coding meanings is stupid. Hard-coding a meaning that is in conflict with previous usage is very stupid. .MOD isn't the only one that has been "adopted" by other programs. Windows thinks I have a whole lot of Windows Media Player play lists on my system, even though the files pre-date the existence of Windows itself.

Personally, though, I had never seen a ".MOD" file prior to someone pointing out that they kept being told it was an invalid file when trying to load it. In one case, I tried to find the error they claimed they were getting by doing a search of my entire computer for some file that listed it, and didn't get any hits, outside of the browser disk cache. It wasn't until they admitted that they had NOT followed the instructions to "right click on this link, and select 'save as'" that things came together.
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group