phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Recomanded MODs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic

What is your favorite MOD?
(This poll does not expire)
Keep Unread Flags
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Super Quick Reply
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Simple Subforums
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Split posts and merge in one step
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Visual Confirmation on New Posters
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Easy Resize Posted Images
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Limited Post Edit Time
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Admin Delete User with All Postings
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Move post instead of deleting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above (please, specify wich one you prefer)
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:08 pm 
Post subject: Recomanded MODs

Okay. icon_smile.gif So we all know there are a lot of phpBB MODs out there. I guess a few hundreds. But wich one of those really deserve installing? Wich one of those still work for phpBB 2.0.22-2.0.23? Wich one of those really do what is it supposed to do? Wich one really hellped you out and can't imagine your board without?

I know that every MOD is written for a specific need. It is obvious different people want different MODs, but I guess there are still some MODs wich should not miss from any board. Maybe they're not even that popular, so people have a chance of finding out about them, now. icon_wink.gif Let's just give a hand, people! icon_biggrin.gif

Me First, me first! My recomandations:
1.Keep Unread Flags - This hack will keep your unread topics alive when closing the web browser, letting you to come back later and see them still unread.
2.Split posts and merge in one step - Allow admin to split posts from a topic (using the regular split feature) and merge them into an existing topic in a single step
3.Admin Delete User with All Postings - This hack enables the administrator to delete a user and all of their postings directly from their profile.
4.Limited Post Edit Time - This hack allows an administrator to set a time a user has to edit their post.
5.Easy Resize Posted Images - This hack resizes images within posts. They are then made clickable and users can view the image in full size in a popup window.

To be continued. icon_wink.gif

EDIT 7-Feb-09: Added None of the above option, to poll.
drathbun wrote:
Heh, as in why isn't "None" an possible answer to the poll... that's a valid point. If it where there, in the form "none of the above" it would be interesting to see how many people would make the selection.

Oops...
Code:
You have tried to enter too many poll options

I will replace Last Post Topic on Index with None of the above because Last Post Topic on Index it is a small MOD, even if very useful. icon_wink.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:43 pm 
Post subject: Re: Recomanded MODs

And not one of the MODs in your list of possible answers would even make it to the top 20 of MODs any of my users would want. They use the attachment MOD, which I classify as "first to install", and Topic Calendar. They like the fact that the forum notification has been modified to send them the text of the messages, and not stop sending after the first notification.

Other than that, they ignore everything else.

But, the topic calendar is their "must have" MOD before moving the more popular forums to v3; without it, they don't want to move.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 pm 

I am not sure the word favourite fits in so well with "Mods"
They all serve a purpose and none of those that you have given us to chose from would be in my "favourites" list.
I guess the two most important mods to my users are the Attachment mod and the Calendar mod with the site "wrapped" up with a Portal mod.
I do have a heck of a lot of mods installed with near 100 tables now in the database but the 3 above are the only necessary ones to my users.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 pm 

Why do people like Attachment MOD? icon_confused.gif I consider it annoying because it makes the post reply window larger and slows down navigation considerably. Also, uses forum trafic and space. I did not put it because I consider easyer just using RapidShare. icon_smile.gif

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:21 am 

Because its much easier to use attachments then it is to use Rapid share.

Although you are right that it takes up more resources. So if your clients are happy using Rapid share then why look a gift horse in the mouth. lol

Stick with whatever is working well for you.

espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:49 am 

Took a look at Rapidshare just now. I'll stick with having control over things. If you want a good example of why to not trust free services, http://www.journalspace.com/ is a good object lesson. You have no control over whether or not Rapidshare is going to be in business next week.

A little annoyance can be bad, but some of the alternatives are much, much worse.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 pm 

There are options that you can set that control how the post reply window is sized with the attachment MOD. Along with that, one of the first things I realized when running a board is the only sure way to make sure that content stays available is to host it yourself. As soon as you start relying on an external source, you've inherited all of their issues as well as your own.

I can name dozens of other MODs that are so poorly written that they place a much higher load on your server. icon_smile.gif

I also despise the pop-ups and cookies and everything else annoying about public image or file sharing sites.

As far as "must-have" MODs, I agree with some of the other posters. Adding MODs for the sake of adding MODs is silly. As you have found out, adding MODs that are not designed to work together introduces new problems rather than solving an issue. icon_smile.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:37 pm 

From a mathematical point of view your Poll is flawed in that the results will not indicate the most popular phpBB2 mod but only the most popular from the very limited list that you have supplied. Posts here show that the Attachment mod is probably more of a "must have" than any other that you have listed.

It would be wrong to draw any conclusions from it other them
"Mod X is the most popular of those that I have listed"

There are indeed hundreds of mods for phpBB2 - many hundreds in fact. I started downloading and saving some that I thought may be useful or someone may look for and got to 127 mods when I gave up. After all they are only ones that "I thought" may be useful and that is no indication of the overall popularity or lack of.
I always used to groan when I saw this sort of topic appear on phpbb.com as the outcome was always the same:-
very marked differences in the "must have mods" and then finally agreement that there could be no agreement. icon_lol.gif

I wish that I had the time to download all the mods from phpbb.com and also some from phpbbhacks as I think they are a good resource.

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:04 pm 

When I think of the attachment mod or any mod with high resource consumption running on a phpbb home network with limited bandwith I also think of ways to take the load off of that network. And I think this is what Sylver Cheetah 53 is doing with RapidShare.

I agree with everything said on this thread so far, but if he is already pushing his resources over 70% then he's right to make his downloads off site. It wouldn't work to have people downloading movies off your home server with that type of network because all it would accomplish would be to make browsing miserable, and make your boards clients wonder why sometimes your index page takes 60 sec to load.

So sometimes it's best to go off network with some of this stuff, but for sure if you don't have to.. then your downloads will be far more secure and reliable in your own hands.

As to the popular mod topic.. I think you should be asking what are the more popular mods instead of selecting them from a short list. This is a very limited range of mods to choose from..

My top 5 list would be as follows:
  1. Subforums (haven't decided which is best yet)
  2. Code Crush IP Log
  3. Ajax Chat
  4. Attachments
  5. EZportal

This does not mean they would be everyones top 5 just the ones that are most important to my members.

There is also a large draw to the Cash mod .. Although I have never seen this actually used well.

Also The Karma mod seams to have a strong following.

If you want to really have a look at the all time most popular mods.. it would be best to see if you can find out how many times they have been downloaded on phpbb.com. icon_wink.gif
That might get you a close estimate.

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:58 pm 

What is Code Crush IP Log? icon_confused.gif

lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:02 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:

some type of IP checking /tracing/whatever thing that is basically useless.

In my opinion, there is no real need for any IP recording, saving, tracking , etc. in phpbb.

You can't really find out anything about someone by their IP address.

You can't even make good assumptions about whether someone is avoiding a ban or whatever. People's IP addresses change all the time.
Dialup users get a new one every time they go online. AOL users get random new ones while they are online. Many others get new ones whenever the computer gets rebooted or the router gets rebooted, etc. etc.

sorry, there I go on my IP address rant again.

robert
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:15 pm 

lumpy burgertushie wrote:
Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:

some type of IP checking /tracing/whatever thing that is basically useless.

You are apparently not familiar with this mod.. It is certainly NOT useless.
Especially if you are a gamer.

In my opinion, there is no real need for any IP recording, saving, tracking , etc. in phpbb.

You can't really find out anything about someone by their IP address.

This of course is only partially true. I have already had several hackers banned from their ISP service with this mod.

How can you have an opinion on this is you really haven't ever used it?

You can't even make good assumptions about whether someone is avoiding a ban or whatever. People's IP addresses change all the time.

Yes their IP's do change if they have a dynamic IP address, but their IP range does not change much. Normally they come right back on in the same range. There are many identifying markers that can be used to defend a board using this mod. Ip range, Geo location, login times. just to name a few. You need to spend some time with it to see these things but it makes some patterns blazingly apparent.

Dialup users get a new one every time they go online. AOL users get random new ones while they are online. Many others get new ones whenever the computer gets rebooted or the router gets rebooted, etc. etc.

Any if you only have one AOL user on your board what does that tell you about this user?...

I can't even tell you how many times I have heard "How the F*** did you know it was me? I was on dial up!!"

sorry, there I go on my IP address rant again.
robert

I forgive you.. because I know you just don't understand.
A tool is only as good as the person using it. This provides you with the information necessary, the rest is up to you to make sense of.

With out this your board is really a defenseless victim of whatever any one wants to try to do to your board.

Is it perfect? Of course not, nothing is really perfect.. But it's the best defense you will find at the moment.

The Code Crush IP Log is an outstanding mod I used it for 6 years straight every single day. I log all of my clients and catalog their IP ranges. After a while you start memorizing their IP address and can deny multiple identities ect.

Hint* it works best when they do not know you have it installed. icon_wink.gif

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:10 pm 

It is hard to install? I didn't find it on the internet, can you share it with us? icon_smile.gif

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:55 pm 

It's really not hard to install but some of the later versions require a large .csv file that some free hosts don't allow for some reason or another. So it can be a bit aggravating if you are on one of those hosts.

As many mod progressions go, some of the later versions are a pain simply because they try to do to much.. But the later versions also seam to run a little lighter on resources as the author figures out how to get it to run cleaner.

So the version is really a mater of preference.

Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:16 pm 

My absolute favourites:
UPI2DB (upi2db.bigrib.de), cannot live without that one!
Cache Posts Mod (amigalink.de)
Download Mod (oxpus.de)
Attachment Mod
Unique Registration Hash (pentapenguin.com)

But I have round about 2,500 mods in my forum. So I cannot remember them all.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 5 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group