Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:29 pm Post subject: BigDump-Using BigDump to restore your phpBB database.
How to use BigDump to restore your phpBB database.
The best way I have found to restore a phpbb database ( or any other mysql database) is to use a program named BigDump:
Big Dump http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php
It is free and makes restoring mysql database files of any size a breeze.
Download it and unzip it to your computer.
Follow these steps to restore your database backup file using BigDump:
1. Copy your current config.php to your computer
2. Open the bigdump.php file in a text editor ( wordpad is fine )
3. Where it asks for the database info, put in what is in your config.php file
// Database configuration
$db_server = "your info here";
$db_name = "your info here";
$db_username = "your info here";
$db_password = "your info here";
Now, in the bigdump.php file, make sure these two settings are as
$linespersession = 3000;
$delaypersession = 300;
then save the file.
4. Using ftp, go to your server and create a folder inside your phpbb folder, name it dump.
5. Upload your backup sql file and the bigdump.php file to that "dump" folder
6. In your browser, go to: yourdomain.com/yourphpbb/dump/bigdump.php
You should see the name of your backup file and a link to start the restore
Click on that link and wait. It will take some time for large files, but as long as you get no errors and
it does not stop, you will get a success message.
7. When you have a successful restore, be sure to delete or rename the dump folder as it is a security issue if you don't.