phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

mass e.mail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
RMcGirr83
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: mass e.mail

Believe so, this post has the download. You just upload files found in the download into the correct folders in your forum and that's it.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 am 

I just realized that I have that one saved in an archive. but when I compared the 2 zip files one is 30 kb larger then the one you pointed out to me.

I think the only difference is a read me file. but It makes me wonder where I got it that it was the same name but a different content..

Anyway I will be using the one you linked me to since its working so well for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for that, I think it may save a bunch of headaches..

scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:52 am 

~Cowboy~ wrote:

Thanks for that, I think it may save a bunch of headaches..

I've still got my headaches !
icon_wink.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 am 

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Believe so, this post has the download. You just upload files found in the download into the correct folders in your forum and that's it.

Thanks, RMcGirr83. I will definetly use this. icon_cool.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 am 

I still haven't fixed my problem with the mass e.mail....
drathbun.........do you do any private work ?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm 

Hi, my name is Jim and this topic has been a pain in my backside for a long time now, (about 2+ years) -

I have the need to send out a weekly e-mail to my 1800 members about various contests, Outings, ect. -

It used to be a breeze because my old web host simply adjusted the field to 2000 e-mails per hour knowing that I only needed to send out 1800 once or twice per week, (not every hour all day, everyday all week).

My current web host has me stuck on 200 per hour, and won't budge - icon_evil.gif

I have tried several things including mega mail that Robert installed for me a year or so back, and everything is a pita or unreliable -

If I get a call from a sponsor and he is giving away two tickets to a show, I cannot just click mass e-mail and shoot it out to everyone immediately - I have to send them 180 at a time, you can't use up all 200 per hour or your systems e-mails will make you go over your quota, (like a topic notification or a PM notification), and have have to set the intervel at 3800 secs, (3600 = 1 hour) - so it takes many hours to just send out 1800, and alot of them do NOT go thru, (even though the member gets topic and PM notifications) -

I need a new web host that will allow me to send a simple e-mail to my members when I need to -

If any of you know of someone who can host my fishing site please shoot me a PM - thanks Jim
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm 

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem Jim......
I may have to change my host aswell...........
icon_rolleyes.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm 

scotty, first my apologies for not replying until now. I've been busy helping build pinewood derby cars. It's a cub scout thing. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I do on occasion to private work, but the timing it not good this month. It would not be through this site but my phpbb "consulting" site at www.phpbbdoctor.com instead.

Are you at all interested in the short-cut SQL scripts I mentioned earlier? or do you want something of a more permanent solution?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 pm 

Dave,

as always I would be interested to see as well your solution.

PS We really need to try and hook up to game a tad one of these days. icon_wink.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:11 am 

Quite alright drathbun.....
Robert (Lumpy) was looking into the problem 10 days ago !
But he disappeared and doesn't answer my e.mails anymore- I hope every thing is alright with him.?
Anyway as to the problem in hand- I have asked many of my friends who run forums ( phpBB2 ) and they have no problem sending out mass email to 1000 members.
And heres my host stating I can send out 250 a day- this is unbelievable and I still have problems trying to send 150.
So maybe its best to look for another host and hopefully this will fix this problem ( or not ) as my host's support is shit !
So this takes me to another question............" How can I transfer all the files over to a new hosts server , without mucking up or losing anything" ?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:58 am 

I am using a mod called Mega Mail.
It works like charm!
I will check and see if I have it anywhere.

AH! Found it!

EDIT: Sorry, you just talked about that one! Me notice: not only read the headlines! icon_redface.gif

megamail_v0.9.7_2.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  megamail_v0.9.7_2.zip
 Filesize:  14.97 KB
 Downloaded:  1592 Time(s)

drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm 

scotty wrote:
So this takes me to another question............" How can I transfer all the files over to a new hosts server , without mucking up or losing anything" ?

Assuming you will be moving the domain name, there are two components to moving a board. Data and code.

You can backup / move your code (php, tpl, and so on) via ftp. You need to get a valid database backup and move that too. Restore your database backup to the new server, ftp up the code, and you should be fine.

Moving servers isn't really that big of a deal as long as you have proper access. I generally do it over a weekend since they say it can take 24-72 hours for DNS changes to propagate. The DNS change is required in order to tell folks on the internet that your site (www.example.com) that used to be on server X with IP address blah blah blah is now found on server Y with a new IP address.

The process starts by disabling the board on Server X, then I take a copy of the code via ftp and get a database backup. I upload both to the new server, restore the backup, and log in to test the code. The first step is to enable the board since the disabled bit is contained in the database backup. Once that's done I will update the domain settings. Hopefully you have your domain configuration from someone other than your host; in my opinion, it's never a good idea to manage your domains with your host.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 pm 

Thanks drathbun, seems like a lot of work eh!
You wouldn't have a e.mail address I could contact you ?....as I can not seem to find your PM

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:51 pm 

No, it is really not much to do.
Take a backup with for example mysqldumper
Download all files to your PC, upload them to the new host
Restore the DB with mysqldumper
If nessecary change the settings in the file config.php (DB-name, DB-user, DB-password)

Thereafter move the domain or update the DNS-settings.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm 

scotty wrote:
Thanks drathbun, seems like a lot of work eh!

As long as you have the proper access, it's not hard. It often takes longer to download and then upload the database than anything else.
Quote:
You wouldn't have a e.mail address I could contact you ?....as I can not seem to find your PM

We don't have PMs on this board. icon_smile.gif With your permission, I will contact you at your email address used to register here. As a moderator I can see the email address even though it is current marked as "hidden", which is why I ask permission to use it.

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 3 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group