phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Duplicate Board for Development

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
jage
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:42 pm 
Post subject: Duplicate Board for Development

website: www.sportsmobileforum.com / dev.sportsmobileforum.com
version: 2.0.22
installer: fantastico (I know I know)
experience: moderate with phpbb, advanced as programmer (php, mySQL)
misc: I have access to the root level server, /home etc and am using WHM to create accounts such as dev. for testing. Also have Bitvise for SSHD access, xterm & sftp although no vterm.

I tried to make a copy of the board for development, and I need a separate database. I created a new account and FTPd all the files from public_html to public_html.

The dev site is still using the www site database.

I was going to backup the www database and install an identical phpbb board, restore the database and copy the modded www files- but fantastico has dropped the 2.x version so I would have to install fresh, via FTP (which is time consuming)

So- should I create a new/duplicate database on dev and change the php files to point to it? How do I create or copy the database? How/where do I change the pointer or registration to the new database?

Or- should I install 2.0.22 and restore the database to the new location and copy the modified phpbb files?

Or- is there a better way to go about getting a separate copy of the site and database?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm 
Post subject: Re: Duplicate Board for Development

Hi, welcome. icon_smile.gif

When you copy a database to a new url (from www. to dev.) then you need to update a few rows in the phpbb_config table. One that comes to mind immediately is the script_path, and the other is related to the cookie setting. I can't get to a database right now but if you browse the phpbb_config table and look for anything that references the old path and update it to the new path you should be fine.

Oh, and make sure that config.php points to the second database and not the first.

Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:59 pm 

Ok, here is what I've done so far, this is in addition to creating dev and copying the public_html folder as above:

Code:
Went into phpMyAdmin as root in WHM
Under Operations tab choose Copy database, structure and data creating dev_phpb1 from www_phpb1

In config.php changed $dbname to 'dev_phpb1'

In phpMyAdmin granted all to dev user on dev_phpb1

Granted permission to www_phpb1@(internal IP) on dev_phpb1
Granted permission to www_phpb1@'localhost' on dev_phpb1

Changed cookie domain in table phpbb_config to dev.domain.com (was domain.com)

[Login not working, boots me to domain.com]

Currently it does boot me to domain.com from dev.domain.com when the login fails, and the login fails for all accounts. It is possible that is enough to move forward with testing, but I will update if and when I take any more steps.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:11 pm 

You need to use Auto Cookies. icon_wink.gif Just copy over all your files, restore your database, run Auto Cookies and you should be fine. icon_smile.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
jage
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:25 pm 

Used AutoCookies and changed the cookie name to dev_* and now it works fine. (Need a different cookie name for each forum) Awesome!
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:50 pm 

jage wrote:
I tried to make a copy of the board for development, and I need a separate database. I created a new account and FTPd all the files from public_html to public_html.
Or- is there a better way to go about getting a separate copy of the site and database?
yes there is a better way. I just did that a couple of days ago to investigate the last attack I was victim of.

No need to create another account.

1- suppose your current forum is called forum. http://www.yoursite.com/forum
Download the entire forum folder to your hard drive.
When complete, rename the downloaded folder testforum.
zip it and ftp to your public_html folder.

Sometimes FTP takes too long.
(So if you don't want to do all the ftp stuff, from File Manager on Cpanel, change your folder name to testforum.
Zip the testforum. When done, change the folder name back to forum. icon_smile.gif ..... [Make sure nobody's surfing at that time... or disable the board for 1 minute then enable it back after you change back the name.] )

2- Log on Cpanel
3- Click on File Manager, find the zip file, Right-mouse click and select Extract. Your new testforum folder is created.
4- Go to myphpAdmin and select your old database from the dropdown menu.
5- from the db menu, select Operations
6- In the field for 'copy database to', enter a new name for your new database testdb
7- Click Go. This will create a database and copy all your old data to it.
8- Still on myphpAdmin, select the new database.
9- find the phpbb_config table and edit it.
- change the cookie name
- replace your old forum folder name /forum/ with the new name /testforum/
- save.
10 - Back to File Manager.
- find testforum/config.php
- Edit the file to replace the database name with your new database name testdb.
- save.
11. Done.
Go run your new testforum
http://www.yoursitename/testforum
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 am 

Could I ask why you keep re-activating long since dead topics?
I think it a fair assumption that the OP has solved the problem or moved on over such long periods.
If the object of this is to create extra activity then I am not sure it will work. I guess most of us with any interest check the site daily for new posts but could find it a bit of a turn off when faced with so many reawakened topics.

Jim
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 am 

(And what if I dont have Cpanel) icon_rolleyes.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group