phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Archive of phpBB 2 MODs (now with download)
1 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Archive of phpBB 2 MODs (now with download)

yes, the MOD search at phpbb.com has always been useless and still is basically. you can search for MODs by full name that are in the DB and get zero returns. I usually start with phpbbhacks to search for MODs then I will try to find it at phpbb.com if possible.

although the validation process at patricks site is not as strict as phpbb.com,

I never had any problem with MODs/hacks from there except that they do not require it to work in easymod.

robert
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:49 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
I was thinking just that they have many many MODs and it is very hard to download them all manually. icon_wink.gif

I haven't been downloading MODs manually. I got just under 2,000 MODs from phpbbhacks.com using a modified version of the original script. The problem is that those files have numbers instead of descriptive names. Quite annoying. icon_mad.gif

drathbun wrote:
Why would any individual want to download every single MOD? Unless you're going to host them, I don't see a reason.

You must not be a pack rat.

~Cowboy~ wrote:
I think for fear that they may be lost forever at some point...
Yes.

lumpy burgertushie wrote:

although the validation process at patricks site is not as strict as phpbb.com,

They have a validation process? icon_surprised.gif That's news to me.

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:13 pm 

Yes, they have. I am still waiting for validation after two weeks. icon_sad.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:57 pm 

I feel that if we were to try to host all of the MODs from Patrick's site here it would not be viewed well. Not by Patrick, certainly, and quite possibly not by the community at large. We're not trying to compete with Patrick's site here.

Duplicating / preserving the content from phpbb.com is another matter. They have no intention of continued support for the 2.x product line and related materials.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 pm 

Exactly, Patrick is there, has been there for quite some time now and will be there in the future. He even still has the phpBB1.x archive up so worries about the phpBB2 archive disappearing from phpbbhacks certainly seem to be a bit premature.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:58 am 

dogs and things wrote:
Exactly, Patrick is there, has been there for quite some time now and will be there in the future. He even still has the phpBB1.x archive up so worries about the phpBB2 archive disappearing from phpbbhacks certainly seem to be a bit premature.
................Image link
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:54 am 

Guys, I was just thinking that maybe we would like to have them all on our computers, since they do not require too much space. Actually, I wasn't very afraid that Patrick will give up on phpBB2. But... it's okay like that, also... I guess it is easyer taking what we want from his website, then too search it on our computers, since he has also description and sometimes a demo. icon_wink.gif

Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 pm 

I'm archiving phpbbhacks.com anyway. So this will be my personal archive, unless anyone else wants a copy of it. It's quite huge, over 100 MB.

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
Guys, I was just thinking that maybe we would like to have them all on our computers, since they do not require too much space.

That's part of my reasoning as well. I just wish the archives were named by the MOD title rather than an ID number. icon_mad.gif Fortunately, the version of Mac OS X that I have seems to be able to search inside of zip archives, and inside the files themselves, so this is very useful for me! icon_surprised.gif

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:55 pm 

Dog Cow wrote:
I'm archiving phpbbhacks.com anyway. So this will be my personal archive, unless anyone else wants a copy of it. It's quite huge, over 100 MB.

I would like to have a copy, if it's not too much trouble. icon_biggrin.gif

Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm 

Sure, I'll send you one when I've got it all downloaded. I'm currently at 2,200 out of 4,200 files. Half-way there. icon_smile.gif
RMcGirr83
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 pm 

You, mi amigo, have WAY to much time on your hands!! icon_razz.gif

I also have a ton of mods saved on my server at the house just cuz it's easier to review them from there instead of searching and redownloading.

Also, phpbbhacks ID system for a mod is quite annoying as there is no description of the mod so you never know what mod 3485 does, eg.

Also, FWIW, I was banned (and still am IIRC) from phpbbhacks.com cuz I violated some iFroggy law or something so I will never return to that site again.

I'm still in touch every now and then with Thoul though (who I believe does the validating of the mods at hacks.com)

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm 

RMcGirr83 wrote:
You, mi amigo, have WAY to much time on your hands!! icon_razz.gif

It's completely automated. I haven't been going around, clicking all the download links. Instead, I'm using an iterator to access every single URL, starting at 1, then 2, then 3, etc. It's quite efficient.

As a status update, I just now have all 4,228 files hosted on phpbbhacks.com as of 17 Feb 09. This includes all phpBB 1 hacks, plus phpBB 2 MODs and Styles, and also phpBB 3 MODs and Styles. I've partitioned the files in to 8 .zip archives. The total file size of these 8 .zip archives...... 463 MB. icon_eek.gif
Quote:

Also, FWIW, I was banned (and still am IIRC) from phpbbhacks.com cuz I violated some iFroggy law or something so I will never return to that site again.

It's a strange place. Ever heard of a MOD author named aUsTin? He got banned from there back in 2005, apparently from having something not allowed in his sig. The strange thing is, he won some of the phpBB hacks awards for hack author of the year and hack of the year. But now his web sites have been censored out to merely an * and all his submitted files have been removed from the site. How bizarre. In any case, while it seems that the mod info/description pages have been removed, the actual files are still there, so I think have them.

dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am 

dogs and things wrote:
Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
Also, would be nice to take all of the phpBBHacks MODs. icon_wink.gif

Why,

Is there any rumour or fear that phpbbhacks is going to remove their phpBB2 section?

Oops! icon_redface.gif icon_razz.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:58 am 

Patrick wrote:
Likewise, phpBB 2 related downloads will remain online for the foreseeable future.

Sincerely,

Patrick

It does not say that you will be unable to download the mods - in fact just the opposite.

Jim
cherokee red
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 am 

If I know Patrick, I think that this is his April fools joke this year. Check back, he's done things before like this icon_lol.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 5 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group