phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

The end

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Author Message
Jim_UK
Board Member



Joined: 19 Nov 2008

Posts: 544
Location: North West UK


flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:36 am 
Post subject: The end

Could this have some connection with the demise of phpBB2

Version Information

Unable to open connection to phpBB Server, reported error is:
Connection refused


If so once again a bad move I think as folks with versions older than 2.0.22 (perhaps inheriting them or just installing an older version they might have) would not be aware of potential problems.

Jim
Back to top
RMcGirr83
Board Member



Joined: 02 Dec 2008

Posts: 53
Location: East Lyme, CT


flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:40 am 
Post subject: Re: The end

Morning Jim,

.com was compromised due to an updated phplist installation. So the whole site is down as of now.

_________________
Rich McGirr
Back to top
Jim_UK
Board Member



Joined: 19 Nov 2008

Posts: 544
Location: North West UK


flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am 
Post subject: Re: The end

Thanks Rich - Please explain further what has happened to it. Is it some exploit of the current version or just a server exploit?

Jim
Back to top
RMcGirr83
Board Member



Joined: 02 Dec 2008

Posts: 53
Location: East Lyme, CT


flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Actually, I should state, it was taken down due to an exploit in an outdated phplist installation.

They're (The Team) is working on restoring .com. Has nothing to do with phpBB itself, just PHPList

_________________
Rich McGirr
Back to top
Dog Cow
Board Member



Joined: 18 Nov 2008

Posts: 378


flag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:15 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Isn't open source software great? Not only do you have to deal with other people's mistakes, but everyone else gets to know about them as well. icon_rolleyes.gif
_________________
Moof!
Lincoln's Tomb, Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springfield IL Mac 512K Blog Mac GUI
Back to top
iWisdom
Board Member



Joined: 19 Nov 2008

Posts: 16



PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:00 am 
Post subject: Re: The end

Area51 is currently online. We are working to get the main site functional as quickly as possible.
Back to top
~Cowboy~
Board Member



Joined: 08 Dec 2008

Posts: 297
Location: Chicago


flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:48 am 
Post subject: Re: The end

Thanks for the update iWisdom icon_biggrin.gif
---------------------------------------
EDIT:
Phpbb.com wrote:
Maintenance

We are sorry to report that we have been attacked through a vulnerability in an outdated PHPList installation. phpBB.com and related sites will remain unavailable while we work to recover. No vulnerabilities have been found in the phpBB software itself.

You can download phpBB here: http://www.ohloh.net/p/phpbb

You can get support at the temporary support forums or on IRC: chat.freenode.net #phpbb

the phpBB team

_________________
Image link
We are not refugees we are trail blazers. icon_wink.gif
Back to top
~Cowboy~
Board Member



Joined: 08 Dec 2008

Posts: 297
Location: Chicago


flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

More information on the PHPList attack on phpbb.com

Marshalrusty wrote:
As you may already be aware from the message on phpBB.com or the topic in the #phpBB channel on Freenode, we have recently been attacked via a vulnerability in an outdated PHPList installation. It is important to stress that no vulnerabilities have been found in the phpBB software itself.

We took area51.phpBB.com down along with phpBB.com to ensure integrity and prevent further damage. While we actively work to bring phpBB.com back online, we would also like to inform you of the damage that has been done.

The attacker gained entry through the PHPList application and was able to dump a complete backup of the emails on file. He then used the same exploit to access the phpBB.com database. Both the email list from PHPlist and a copy of the phpBB.com users table were then posted publicly.

phpBB3 uses a complex hashing algorithm in order to prevent someone from determining the plaintext value of a password. phpBB2, however, used a much simpler and less secure md5 algorithm to store passwords. This is one of the many reasons why we have decided to no longer support the phpBB2 software. Because hashes cannot be reversed, phpBB3 is set to convert phpBB2 hashes to the new phpBB3 standard during the first user login. Those users who registered while phpBB.com used phpBB2 and did not login on the new phpBB3 board continue to have their password hashes stored in the old format. Passwords stored in the old format are much less secure than those stored in the new format. The attackers have been focusing purely on the passwords stored in the old format.

If the password to your phpBB.com account is used anywhere else (especially with the same username), we strongly recommend that you change it. Using the same password across multiple sites is not security wise and should not be done under any circumstance. Additionally, you should change your password on phpBB.com, when it becomes available.

We apologise that we allowed this to happen by not patching vulnerable software in time. This demonstrates how critically important it is to always make sure that you keep up to date with any software that is running on your machine. At this time, the team is working around the clock to restore phpBB.com and other resources.

Thank you,

- The phpBB Teams

_________________
Image link
We are not refugees we are trail blazers. icon_wink.gif
Back to top
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member



Joined: 17 Dec 2008

Posts: 426
Location: Milky Way


flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

It is very "interesting" that they ban people like flys, they can not log in and now they tell us if we did not log in from some while, our passwords could be compromised. But who did not let us log in in the first place? icon_rolleyes.gif Why don't just delete the account and ban the email? icon_confused.gif I don't know, maybe I am a bad boy, but to be honnest with you guys, because I consider you my friends, I am happy that they have been hacked and I hope they'll stay offline for as long as possible. The thing that they are down from the 1st of february, the same day that they drop support for phpBB2 it's a twist of destiny to let them know it isn't nice. icon_wink.gif
_________________
Image link
My Forum || My Blog

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Back to top
drathbun
Board Member



Joined: 24 Jul 2008

Posts: 653
Location: Texas


flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Nobody should ever say that they're happy someone else was hacked. Period.

From the perspective of dealing with a good friend who had their board hacked and ultimately destroyed this week, I can tell you that hacking is a complete waste of time for no value gained whatsoever. It doesn't matter how much you like / dislike someone, celebrating their misfortune is in very bad taste. It's like saying you're happy a sinkhole opened up under their house and swallowed everything they own. Believe me, that's what it can feel like.

It's not cool.

_________________
phpBBDoctor Blog
Back to top
Jim_UK
Board Member



Joined: 19 Nov 2008

Posts: 544
Location: North West UK


flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
It is very "interesting" that they ban people like flys, they can not log in and now they tell us if we did not log in from some while, our passwords could be compromised. But who did not let us log in in the first place? icon_rolleyes.gif Why don't just delete the account and ban the email? icon_confused.gif I don't know, maybe I am a bad boy, but to be honnest with you guys, because I consider you my friends, I am happy that they have been hacked and I hope they'll stay offline for as long as possible. The thing that they are down from the 1st of february, the same day that they drop support for phpBB2 it's a twist of destiny to let them know it isn't nice. icon_wink.gif


Unless I am mistaken I think it was me that banned you and I would not do it for no good reason.
That attitude that you are displaying on here is far better than the one you showed on that site. You have no need to worry about your password as the ban took place whilst the site was running phpBB3 so yours has the salted hash. You should not be happy that they were hacked as if it was not for all the hard work those guys have done over the years you would not be able to take advantage of the best (and free) BB software in the world.
In fact we would not be here discussing it as we are now.

Jim
Back to top
Techie-Micheal
Board Member



Joined: 27 Dec 2008

Posts: 49



PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:15 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
It is very "interesting" that they ban people like flys, they can not log in and now they tell us if we did not log in from some while, our passwords could be compromised. But who did not let us log in in the first place? icon_rolleyes.gif Why don't just delete the account and ban the email? icon_confused.gif I don't know, maybe I am a bad boy, but to be honnest with you guys, because I consider you my friends, I am happy that they have been hacked and I hope they'll stay offline for as long as possible. The thing that they are down from the 1st of february, the same day that they drop support for phpBB2 it's a twist of destiny to let them know it isn't nice. icon_wink.gif
Well aren't you a lovely ray of sunshine.

You were banned because you couldn't follow the rules. As nasty as your attitude is now, it was worse over there.
Back to top
Holger
Board Member



Joined: 19 Jan 2009

Posts: 509
Location: Hanover


flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:34 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Could we please stop this here ... phpBBrefugees should continue the friendly community it was.
Back to top
~Cowboy~
Board Member



Joined: 08 Dec 2008

Posts: 297
Location: Chicago


flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
It is very "interesting" that they ban people like flys, they can not log in and now they tell us if we did not log in from some while, our passwords could be compromised. But who did not let us log in in the first place? icon_rolleyes.gif Why don't just delete the account and ban the email? icon_confused.gif I don't know, maybe I am a bad boy, but to be honnest with you guys, because I consider you my friends, I am happy that they have been hacked and I hope they'll stay offline for as long as possible. The thing that they are down from the 1st of february, the same day that they drop support for phpBB2 it's a twist of destiny to let them know it isn't nice. icon_wink.gif
Image link
. .Image link

Sometimes thoughts should just be kept to yourself.. You really don't wish bad things for phpbb.com just because their thinking is wrong at this particular point in time do you? I have faith that they will see the error of their ways about phpbb3 and come around eventually... perhaps I am dreaming but I like to keep a positive mental attitude about the whole mess. Although you may unfortunately be right about the timing issue with this hacking event... but on the other hand you could be wrong too... But whatever the reason is I haven't seen any evidence one way or the other that it was related to support stopping for phpbb2. No one has even claimed this to the best of my knowledge. Not saying it is or isn't so, but I would agree that it suspicious timing.

But enough of the hating... you have a fresh start here and you are doing very well... why alienate people now Sylver Cheetah?

I understand that getting banned was upsetting to you but you really need to put that behind you and move on instead of dwelling on something that happened in the past..
Oh BTW...Image link tee hee sorry I couldn't resist icon_eek.gif

_________________
Image link
We are not refugees we are trail blazers. icon_wink.gif
Back to top
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member



Joined: 17 Dec 2008

Posts: 426
Location: Milky Way


flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

1.I appologise if, somehow, I upsait someone by saying that I am happy that phpBB.com was hacked. Like someone said, some thoughts are better kept for myself. icon_smile.gif
2.I am not so angry that I got banned here, I realise I can be annoying sometimes, but I saw that many people got banned, even MOD autors who could not support their work anymore. It's okay to ban people, maybe they chill out, but not forever. icon_wink.gif
3.The main reason why I'm angry is because they drop support for phpBB2, even if phpBB3 stable realease has just been out there for only about an year. I don't think Microsoft dropped support for Windows'98, even if there are 10 years from then. icon_wink.gif
4.I am a little too emotional sometimes, and this is why I can be a little, let's say irational. I hacked a forum after one year since they delete 2000 of my messages, and deleted 5000 posts of the moderator who, mainly, did it. So I like revenges, sometimes. icon_redface.gif
5.I apreciatte that some of you say that my attitude is improved and this is just one more reason why people deserve a second chance. icon_wink.gif

Thanks to all of you, and once again, I applogise for saying I am happy for phpBB.com been hacked. Maybe that wasn't the nicest thing to say...
Daniel

_________________
Image link
My Forum || My Blog

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 4 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group
Powered by phpBB2 © phpBB Group
Generated in 0.0339 seconds using 15 queries. (SQL 0.0124 Parse 0.0007 Other 0.0209)
phpBB Customizations by the phpBBDoctor.com
Template Design by DeLFlo and MomentsOfLight.com Moments of Light Logo